Red paint problems.

Thread: Red paint problems.

Default Red paint problems.

What is it with red paint, when ever I come to use it its unusable. Its settled so much it would probably take a couple of hours work to get it to the point of being usable.

I currently have Vallejo Model Color and Vallejo Game Colors of various shades of red and some shades are worse than others but its kinda the same across the board.

Can anyone recommend a good brand of paint to use instead of Vallejo?

Thanks
    Brian.

P3, gw, scale75, andrea, reaper?

but really it doesn't matter, if it's on a shelf for a long time it'll settle. Independent of manufacturer or color.

Find the colours that settle the worst or if you have inactive colours on your shelves once in a while throw them in a box and bring them on a car ride with you to work or on a few drives. The bumps and vibes will help keep 'em mixed. Just don't leave them in there in extreme heat or cold
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

I know lots of people slate GW paints, but I've got reds from every pot type they've produced and they're all still usable apart from the old hex pots. Some of the browns on the other hand

If you still have the vallejo paints you might want to try adding a few drops of crackle medium to the dropper. That and a bit of agitation should fix the paint unless there are dry chunks in it.

Crackle medium? I... don't know. I think rather not. It could have some pretty 'fun' sideeffects.

I understand your apprehension, but it's worked for me, and I got the idea from the Vallejo FAQ. If they recommend it for stubbornly separated paint is must not be that bizarre.

Are you looking for a transparent red or opaque one?

For opaque, I keep hearing about GW foundation paints. Reaper has their HD line, but I haven't heard any recommendations for them. Reaper does have a KS and you can get 12 HD paints for $18, with a $1 add-on pledge. (Also 50 25mm lipped / unlipped bases for $10.)

Quote Originally Posted by count zero99uk View Post
    What is it with red paint, when ever I come to use it its unusable. Its settled so much it would probably take a couple of hours work to get it to the point of being usable.
    How long you leaving it between useages?I find that some of the denser reds settle faster than others, but it depends on how long since last used.But a good heavy dose if shaking generally gets my paints "back in the game"........ And yes I do give ALL my paints a shaking up not just the reds.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

I think its just that they haven't been used for quite some time, years is possibly the case. Ill give them one last going over with something to breakup the lumps inside and see if that works, if that fails I think ill just pick up some of the GW reds.

Most red miniatures paints these days are based on either Mars Red, an iron oxide, or synthetic organic red pigments such as Naphthol Red. Some may still be based on Cadmium Red, although it is harder to come by as it is really toxic.

Mars Red is opaque and heavy, but rather rusty and dull in color. It also is prone to separating and compacting in the jar, which may be what is happening with your paints. If you have any old Cadmium Reds, they are even heavier pigments and prone to separating even in oil paint tubes.

I'm not sure about the synthetic organic pigments. They tend to be very bright in color but transparent, which is why so few reds have really good coverage. They also tend to be lightweight, fluffy pigments, although that doesn't mean they won't separate in the jar.

Since miniature paint manufacturers give us no real information about their ingredients, all we can go on is anecdote and guesswork.

Quote Originally Posted by Pygmalion View Post
    Since miniature paint manufacturers give us no real information about their ingredients, all we can go on is anecdote and guesswork.
    It probably doesn't help, but Vallejo Model Color and Game Color use cadmium, at least in part. The Model Air line doesn't because I guess airborne cadmium is bad. The newer Vallejo bottles have an airbrush crossed out on them if they have cadmium or cobalt in them for that reason. They actually even list the % composition of it on their site under the "safety" header.

Well im currently going through all my paints and sorting them out as best I can, its amazing how much the colours differ from each other.

Once I know the total damage my inactivity has done ill probably replace them with a different brand of which im not sure as yet, I like the look of new range of GW stuff a lot, but there allways a touch pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by count zero99uk View Post
    Well im currently going through all my paints and sorting them out as best I can, its amazing how much the colours differ from each other.

Once I know the total damage my inactivity has done ill probably replace them with a different brand of which im not sure as yet, I like the look of new range of GW stuff a lot, but there allways a touch pricey.
    Personally I'd only replace the ones you know you're going to use. Means you can keep the cost lower so can cherry pick the right colour/paint (a couple of GW here, a P3 there, a few Vallejos etc ; )

GW has a very nice "Blood Red" - they might have changed that name, but it is an intense cherry red. In general, I have become a fan of Reaper paints for the reason that you can order from their website, and for a $35 minimum order their is no shipping charge (continental US I think), and I have the impression that you are getting the freshest paint possible. Most of the paints I have purchased at local stores seem to have been sitting on the shelves for extended time, sometimes I would suspect years. All of the stuff I get direct from Reaper's website has come with what appear to be freshly printed labels, it looks like it is newly bottled when I get it. I use the Reaper paints for darker reds, and the GW for the bright red.

Quote Originally Posted by GTTechnics View Post
    It probably doesn't help, but Vallejo Model Color and Game Color use cadmium, at least in part. The Model Air line doesn't because I guess airborne cadmium is bad. The newer Vallejo bottles have an airbrush crossed out on them if they have cadmium or cobalt in them for that reason. They actually even list the % composition of it on their site under the "safety" header.
    Wow. Yeah. Cadmium is a toxic heavy metal, serious bad news. Its main virtues are that it is absolutely permanent, a brilliant bright red color, and the most opaque of pigments. Its main drawbacks are that it is very heavy and thus likely to settle out of the medium in the bottle, and accidental ingestion can produce a terrifying list of health problems, cancer and death.

If its any use to you I use Americana Primary Red that I import from the States, Its a great colour and responds well to GW washes and shades