Just a thought about the Nid problem.
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Just a thought about the Nid problem.

  1. #1

    Default Just a thought about the Nid problem.

    Was sitting in the car today, mind on auto pilot when a thought popped in "hive fleets nids etc virus bombs (if that's the one im thinking of iistaavan 3 etc) would the life eater virus bombs not solve the Nid problem without too much fuss? I mean a hive fleet pops up you just fire a couple of these babies at it and sit back n watch the show.......discuss.
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

    cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

    on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive


  2. #2

    Default

    maybe, I don't see why not. it would have to be delivered straight to the hive mind mother ship otherwise the mind would be able to react with cutting off tendrils or venting the virus into space.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cassar View Post
    Was sitting in the car today, mind on auto pilot when a thought popped in "hive fleets nids etc virus bombs (if that's the one im thinking of iistaavan 3 etc) would the life eater virus bombs not solve the Nid problem without too much fuss? I mean a hive fleet pops up you just fire a couple of these babies at it and sit back n watch the show.......discuss.
    That's all well and good, but what would the new fridge marines do with their time, except for stand their chilling beers.

    And all those freshly ironed curtains the marines spent hours slaving over.........all that would be for nothing.

    You selfish, selfish man..............now go away and say 50 "GW I loves you" before you come back.

  4. #4

    Default

    Maybe they don't use the evil flesh eating virus on nids because they're afraid of them 1) building up an immunity - or more horrible: 2) they manage to adapt it into their own DNA and now every Nid is now a carrier.

  5. #5

    Default

    I believe the Life eater virus requires an atmosphere to work. I don't recall ever reading Tyranid bioships having a "normal" atmosphere. Of course if it worked, you could use it on any ship for that matter, eldar, chaos, tau, marines. Also, if it worked they could seal off a portion of the ship to contain the life eater virus till it burned itself out, or vent it into space. I think the Titans loyal to Horus did that on Istvaan 3. Been a while since i read that though. Just a thought...
    "I was too distracted by the ladies to be scared of your bear. That is the second weirdest sentence I have ever typed on this site o_O"- Zab

    "Paint flavored coffee is the bestest!"-me

    Brush Brother Moetle

    Take a peek you might learn something or teach me something :-)

    http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...tic-Wonderland

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moetle View Post
    I believe the Life eater virus requires an atmosphere to work. I don't recall ever reading Tyranid bioships having a "normal" atmosphere. Of course if it worked, you could use it on any ship for that matter, eldar, chaos, tau, marines. Also, if it worked they could seal off a portion of the ship to contain the life eater virus till it burned itself out, or vent it into space. I think the Titans loyal to Horus did that on Istvaan 3. Been a while since i read that though. Just a thought...
    I see what you mean Moe the difference is the titans are inorganic where the nids are all meaty
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

    cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

    on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive


  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
    Maybe they don't use the evil flesh eating virus on nids because they're afraid of them 1) building up an immunity - or more horrible: 2) they manage to adapt it into their own DNA and now every Nid is now a carrier.
    actually there is one piece of background in one of the BFG books / Magazines (I think it was in Armada, but not sure), where the IN tries exactly that: virusbombing the Nid ships, only to see that it has limited effect and the Nid boardingparty's 'poisoned' weapons actually has the same/similar effect as the original virus itself.

    edit:
    ahh found the quote from the book, it was in Armada:

    "a fatal error, 'twas, listening to that damned old fool. We were carrying virus bombs for the planet below, but hergol told us since we were in a jam, we might launch a few at the things in space, only it didn't do a thing to 'em.
    Well, so we thought until the damned things rammed us a week later and got hold of the ship. They spat this acid, this burning spittle everywhere, and within and hour, those that
    didn't die from the burns were sick as hell with the same virus we'd hurled at the beast to begin with."
    Last edited by MAXXxxx; 10-17-2013 at 10:11 AM.

  8. #8

    Default

    Makes you wonder about the original source of the life eater virus... Bearing in mind much of the Imperium's knowledge and technology is pilfered...

  9. #9

    Default

    Hmmm thought the life eater virus bombs just instantaneously melted what they came in contact with to mush......okay bring on the vortex missiles the inquisition were going through em like smarties in the souldrinkers books. they should do the trick.
    LAAARRFF, I SPLIT MY SIDES!!

    cassar [demigod] |ˈdemēˌgäd|
    noun ( fem. demigoddess |ˈdemēˌgädis| )
    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    • a person who is greatly admired or feared.
    ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: translating Latin semideus .

    on a serious note, i do commissions, no really i do, ask and ye shall receive


  10. #10

    Default

    In one of the IG books I read the inquisition actually tried to pit the orks and the nids against each other by cross breeding them somehow and it, of course, all went to hell. I also like the shit we ponder in our cars - Nid problem. Makes it sound like the Imperium has racoons living under their porch or something.
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

    Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

  11. #11

    Default

    The evil life eater virus is the left over hate and thirst for vengeance that came from the Necrons turning their backs against the ways of flesh and becoming robots..........

    ..........Okay, I just made that up.. but it sounded good in my head.

  12. #12

    Default

    In Dawn of War 2 they poison the central ship of the hive with a neurotoxin, and it works.
    To make it effective, they had to find a sample of the primary gene strain and change the toxin accordingly.

    Using a virus is a double-edged sword, as a virus contains the DNA to replicate itself and can be absorbed easily.
    Nids can still adapt to become immune to a chemical poison, but recreating that stuff is not that easy, as no information on the creation process is attached.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MajorNese View Post
    In Dawn of War 2 they poison the central ship of the hive with a neurotoxin, and it works.
    To make it effective, they had to find a sample of the primary gene strain and change the toxin accordingly.

    Using a virus is a double-edged sword, as a virus contains the DNA to replicate itself and can be absorbed easily.
    Nids can still adapt to become immune to a chemical poison, but recreating that stuff is not that easy, as no information on the creation process is attached.
    Wait, wasn't that Starcraft?
    The Future Of Magic Wash is Klear

    supervike: This site is cake, the scoring is icing. Scrape it off if you don't like it, the cake is still delicious!!

    Dragonsreach: Oh my goodness, an Orrery and the Time Machine, at this time of the morning. I think I need a stiff cup of tea.

  14. #14

    Default

    no, they went that route in DoW2 too.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Privacy Policy  |   Terms and Conditions  |   Contact Us  |   The Legion


Copyright © 2001-2018 CMON Inc.

-->