Webmonkey's Garage Kits,... - Page 25
Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Webmonkey's Garage Kits,...

Quote Originally Posted by Webmonkey View Post
    I'm hoping to get 50 votes and maybe break the 8.0 mark with this one. So far, I haven't been able to get 50 for any except 1 I think.
    you have to advertise , also Anime figures are not that loved here (or most other gaming forums)

as I don't have followers/fans/real friends here or FB I usually do:
    - wait until I get about 20-30 votes
    - sometimes I open a thread in the submissions sub-forum (helps get another 1-5 votes from CMON members
    - start giving the link in different forums (painting/gaming/even worth using the e2046 forum for this) / collegues / RL friends / etc
    That I's usually enough to get to the 50.

Or you could do the same thing Thau does here. Every time Thau needs votes he sends Private Messages around with the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Webmonkey View Post
    And for some reason, I can't get past 7.5.
    That's partly because of the anime figures. They are painted very differently than the 28mm ones most people are used to (much more flat usually).
    You also seem that you do not refine some areas from time to time.
    Taking the last 2 you showed:
    - tree, stars on the jacket are super, the black trim and trousers, white shirt even skin not so much. They look pretty flat from the pictures and most people here are used to strong contrasts (cat is also flat, but it suits it pretty good)
    - base is super with the marble/gold/black. White clothes/skin not that much.
    On the skin: arm looks ok, face looks like basecoat and done, shading on chest is weird, it has like a band of shadow around the chest, but not blended in either direction. It really looks like just a dark blend of color. For me the most disturbing part is the shading on the chest I find the rest ok (again going from the point, where I've seen enough anime kits to know how they are usually painted)

That said how I'll rate the last mini: 8 or 9 (more likely 9 because of the base), giving maybe a 10 for knowing you and to balance the "we-don't-like-anime-kits" votes a bit.
    Forgot, that it works again.

I've had a good look through your gallery Webmonkey and to be honest the vast majority of your work is around a Solid 7 score.
    Now that's not a bad thing as in itself, far better than a 1 or 2, but it could act as a stepping stone for you to "Up the game".

What I've seen of you anime based work seems to echo or replicate the box art (e2046 shopper as well).
    I'd suggest with something that's larger than the ordinary 28mm that the shading needs to be smoother and more subtle, but in this case I'm thinking that you've gone too subtle and need to work the shadow tones to be stronger and give more emphasis on the shape defining with darker skin tones.
    Your Nude on the mirror has good 'accurate' skin definition but she's "lacking" in the modelling that slightly stronger shadows would provide to define her shape.

Hope that makes sense?
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Well,.. to those ends,.. I've taken a couple of new pictures. One on a lighter background, and the other on a darker background, but I turned down the incoming light balance on the camera to make the image a bit darker. (pure ambient sunlight in both cases, so the strength of the artificial lights doesn't wash out the painted in shadows) Maybe these will showcase more of where the painted in shadows are,.. ie: the white under the arm and a bit down the side, as well as in some of the folds and wrinkles. Funny thing is, on my phone and laptop, my original image look fine, but everyone else says the shadows aren't there. Maybe my settings are off from everyone elses??? maybe I can make some adjustments and compensate for differences?? But then again, you guys do have some good points, and that's what I need to hear. I know I'm not going to jump to straight 10's,.. but my next goal is to try to step up that next level to take me from that 7-7.5 up to that 8.0 mark. I wish I had some others in my immediate area who I could get together with and learn from. Sadly, in the Sacramento CA area, very few people game,.. even less paint. And those that do paint, never seem to go beyond "standard tabletop" level painting. Not that there's anything wrong with that,.. but there's no one else around me that I've found who's attempting to go to (or already at) that next level. Sometimes I envy the guys in England and such, as there seems to be a million others over there who also paint that you can go see or get feedback from. There are lots in California, but they all seem to be centered in the LA area. And an 8hr drive is a bit far. Also, as I've said before,.. there's a distinct lack of miniature shows in the Sacramento area. It seems to be this giant void that "all thing cool" seem to Passover. Going into the future though, I have ordered the Yihetuan Boxer 1900 from Alexandros models. Maybe working on something that's sculpted to be more "real" will help some.

It's only a flesh wound!!!

Lighter one, definitely. Flesh tones look great and the white cloth has enough contrast.

No reason at all that this could possible deserve less that an 8. Scores tend to get a bit skewed round here if it's not a war gaming mini unfortunately. But this is awesome work

Thanks fox,.. it's always nice to hear good things about my paint. But it's also good to sometimes hear where my shortcomings are,.. lest' I become complacent and fail to continue to grow. I've come up a lot in the last few months. The marble alone is proof enough of that. But there's still a mountain of skills left to learn.

Make sure you state on the comments that marble and wood are painted, they are so good that few will notice it. I also prefer the white background, skin, hair and dress look better in it.
    WIP thread. / Cmon Gallery / Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Maenas View Post
    Make sure you state on the comments that marble and wood are painted, they are so good that few will notice it. I also prefer the white background, skin, hair and dress look better in it.
    This.

I saw your earlier post about not getting to 50 votes so was going through your gallery and saw I'd already voted on the plinth. I'd given it a really low score as I'd skimmed it and thought it was just a photo of a rock. Now rectified

White background works best imo, the black one gives the skin a yellowish look, and I agree with the comments on the plinth, I remember seeing it when you first painted it but it is easy to mistake for the real thing (which is a compliment to the painting, but also a drawback for anyone who doesn't know it's painted)

I definitely agree that the white background brings out the painting quality more effectively. The marble is just amazing. but the whole figure deserves praise.

Thanks guys. I needed some positive feedback today. (Been one of those weekends,.. and hearing something nice goes a long way sometimes to help keep the spirits up). That being said, I do need to remember to get around to doing a marble tutorial for you guys. No reason to keep the secrets all to myself.

Here it is after the auto-correction program. Better? Worse?

I think it's better.
    Forgot, that it works again.

I will vote a 10 for your levelling up piece, just waiting for it to be in the gallery

I appreciate it. But don't vote 10 if you don't think it deserves it. The point is to try to find what I'm lacking and where I need to improve. That being said, I'll take what I can get.

You know I won't do it.

I do not like to give 10's away without a reason. The difference for me, between a 10 and a 9 it's not only in the painting itself, it lays in that what I personally call a 10 impacted me for some reason, call it a nice step up for the painter (If I know his/her works) or a specific part of the miniature, freehand, sculpt, base, ambience or atmosphere, etc...

Anyway don't give this gallery punctuation system that importance because there is a lot of nonsense involved, and I constantly see upvotings and downvotings, not just because of the internet being a "cold" media but because of the voters votes (myself too) are related (or relative) to what they know about miniature painting.

Personally I feel it's one of your best. On your next model increase the contrast both ways a lol deeper in the places that the sun don't shine (armpits, neck and under jaw , crotch and anything that is directly opposite of where you light source is lighting up.like that arm holding the sword a Lil deeper on that bottom of the robe. It's there but shade 1/3 of the space of the deepest shadow this will make a deeper gradient. As far as underneath the pecks these get a deeper shadow than the abdomenals simply because they protrude outward more. You'll start doing this better and better the more you use these general rules of light/ shadow placement theory. All in all if I like something I like it it gets a 10 from me. It's just another fantastic paintjob from another artist and I like it what you've done.

Looking good! The white looks nice and soft, but with the shadows clearly accentuated. I also like the shading on the skin. You could add a few more spot highlights on the skin, just on the tops of important shapes. For example, in the last picture the nose sort of fades into the rest of the face. You get a little shadow under it, but the rest doesn't really stand out from the face. A brighter highlight there will help define the shape and make it stand out. Also, and this is more personal taste, I wouldn't mind some black lining on the metal plates coming off his sides to further separate them. I assume the outside is supposed to be metallic (bronze or gold). So a think black (or nearly black) line where they overlap could look good. But all in all, very nicely done!

PS - got your message, but CMON says your inbox is full and can't accept replies. But hopefully the above comment answers your questions.

Didn't realize that I had that many messages in my inbox. Cleared them out now anyways. Thanks for the feedback though.

He looks great. I can't comment beyond what the far better painters above me have said, other than to say I'm very impressed

Went ahead and put the last image up for vote. (I'll try to get a new one up whenever I get some sunlight so that I can take better pics. In the meantime,.. I could use the votes,... http://www.coolminiornot.com/410112