Webmonkey's Garage Kits,... - Page 27
Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Webmonkey's Garage Kits,...

Quote Originally Posted by Zab View Post
    Awesome. I generally find wives like this hobby. Keeps the boys at home out of trouble so they don't have to use their vast network to keep tabs on us :P
    Completely agreed.... they have us at home and under control. hahahaha

And @webmonkey you got an awesome present!! Fortunate present mate
    WIP thread. / Cmon Gallery / Instagram

It's been a while,.. work has been exploding the last few weeks, so I'm not as far as I'd like to be. That being said. I did get the pants done, the jacket added, the nun-chucks added to the belt line, and the lower leggings and shoes done. Though,.. I'm not sure if I've pushed the contrast far enough yet. That being said,.. I'm also thinking of trying my hand at some fabric patterning. Maybe something Asian-ish. Fans, flowers,.. maybe a bird pattern of some kind?? Thoughts?? (sorry for the crappy photo. it's overcast today so I'm not getting good sunlight)

It's only a flesh wound!!!

Trying my hand at a different genre.
    As always there's still a long way to go. Trying for more blending and tonal variety in the armor. Skin is barely started,.. and I'm not sure about the beard color. But for my first bust ever, I think it's coming along well enough. Name:  20170404_081748.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  830.6 KB

Gotten a bit further on the bust. Will have to upload a new pic tomorrow. Still working on the fighter guy. Trying to decide on a pattern for the pants.

Cool bust and you are off to a good start.

Still more to do. But it's getting there,.. slowly but surely.

Name:  20170408_100853.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  644.3 KB

Looking good so far, the skin looks quite cold at the moment, maybe try to warm it up a bit or add in some redness across the nose and cheeks?

Yeah,.. I was thinking that, and maybe a slightly more yellow tone to the skin. Maybe a more brown tone??. Or I could just say he's a dark dwarf,.. you know, like a dark elf,
    . Only different.

I can't say I'm an expert on faces, especially on bust sized faces, but bailey has a nice article on his blog about painting faces which might be worth a look, if I'm remembering correctly he uses a brown and red to shade but I'm going off memory here, i also saw on nakatans patreon there's a nice article on faces too

As my artist friends would say, nothing beats going out and studying what you want to paint. People might find it a little strange if you stare at them and start taking pictures though, so image searches are your friend. One thing to watch out for though is that flash photography and studio lighting can lead to odd volumes. One painter I was reading, Patrick Jones IIRC, went so far as to say he could tell if an artist had learned to paint from such photos rather than real life. As such, I would suggest limiting yourself to "natural lighting" aka outdoor photoshoots (NOTE: you may want to have safe search on). At the very least you know you only have one light source, the sun, and that's generally what we are tying to mimic anyway. For example, here's a lady I found on the internets that I've turned into a reference.

Name:  Skintone.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  273.9 KB

You can see where the skin gets thin, such as the ears, the underlying blood shows through and gives it a reddish tone. Even most of the shadows are a red-brown. For scale of course you need to take the highlights up a notch with some Ivory or similar paint. It's also interesting to note that many eyes will actually be missing the hard reflective dot. Without a camera flash or studio lighting to reflect off of the eye it actually has to catch the sun. As you can see, one of her eyes does while the other does not.

Added some more red to the flesh. Not sure what else I can do with it. How can I push it further??? Still need to re-work the eyes a bit.

5 days of painting and I've only managed to do the face. I'm trying to step outside my comfort zone by A) doing a bust and B) trying to go for a more realistic style of paint. It may not be perfect, and the eyes need more work, but overall , for my first real shot at this technique, I think it's coming along well enough. The shadowing technique is interesting and seems to produce some decent results.

Last edited by Webmonkey; 04-15-2017 at 12:09 PM.

Looking good mate, the dwarf looks better now and the 2nd bust is coming along nicely too

Hey, passing by to give you some feedback ^^

I like the "bitone" (violet blue) armour on the dwarf, it makes it look more interesting. I would add a tiny bit more red to just the tip (ball) of it's nose. It has substantially improved from the last shot on post #526. The left eye (viwers side) looks pretty good, I suppose the one you mention is the right one (that is just partially seen on the pic), atm. looks like as if it had a little too big of a pupil.

The new bust looks like a much better sculpt to work on, and it would suit the more realistic approach perfectly for sure. At the moment I like what you have done on it, maybe you would like to correct the left eye a bit before going further with the skin on the face. (in the picture looks a bit "feline", but it maybe just a picture angle issue) The other eye looks good to me.

I think the area under the eyes should look darker/bluer/purpler than the area on top of the cheeks. And unless this guy is wearing a helmet/hat that shadows his forefront the area on top of the eyebrows should be brighter or at least similar in tone than the area on top of his cheeks and nose.

The eyes have been reworked. They look better now. And yes, there's a helmet with a small visor that's going to cast a shadow on the forehead. At this point I'm waiting for a couple if colors to come in before I can really get going on the rest of it.

Not much progress. It's slow going, but it's coming along. Gotta make the orange a little yellower and do the fabric designs. Hopefully I can do it justice. For my first attempt at realism, it's better then I would have thought.Name:  20170501_165234.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  714.3 KB

Looking very good atm... I like the orange you have, it looks like the one a "shaolin" monk would use, hehehe
    Take your time when doing the freehand design

Still a lot to do. And I'm falling short of where I'd like to be. But I'm learning a lot,.. And for stepping outside of my comfort zone, and trying do a "realism" piece,.. all in all, I think it's coming out well enough. Though the discrepancy between what I see in my head vs what the piece actually looks like is huge. Hopefully it'll come yo me in time though.

Name:  20170514_112013.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  1,008.2 KB

you'd really need to make stronger shadows/highlights.
    On the photo it looks like it was basecoated, maybe with 1 HL/shadow.
    on the orange for example you could go down to a very dark orange-brown or even a red-brown, while going up to a yellow/off-white. Just keep about 50% orange and it will read orange.
    You can go the pigment/pastel way if you want to, but I'd use it only on the skin. On silky things (like the orange cloth in my imagination) it can appear too dusty for effect)
    Forgot, that it works again.

Welcome to hell. Time to add "uncomfortable" levels of contrast, but be very mindful of your light source at this scale o_O Keep at it!!!
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo