Webmonkey's Garage Kits,... - Page 28
Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Webmonkey's Garage Kits,...

I so get that "uncomfortable" comment. I keep looking at it and thinking it's far too much. But people keep telling me to push it further. I'll post another pic tomorrow to show how far I've taken it.
    It's only a flesh wound!!!

Got a little further,...

Name:  20170515_145835.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  1.11 MB
    Last edited by Webmonkey; 05-15-2017 at 07:01 PM.

face looks much better, but you can still go further. Transition on the chin could be smoothed.
    in this wip: http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...er-s-WIP/page3 you can see how dark you can (if you want) to go.
    where I'd paint more shadows: sides of the nose, between eyes and eyebrows, under the cheeks, (very little extra under the lower lip)

I think I know what I miss more one the face than the shadow. Colors. some red on the cheeks/around eyes(maybe more purplish red)/maybe on tip of nose (very little to avoid it looking alcoholic), some blue/green in the shadows, some yellow in the highlights.

orange looks better too, but no idea if because of photo or because you worked on it. This pic is a lot less washed out than the previous one.
    Forgot, that it works again.

Progress is slow,..

Name:  20170523_073021.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  977.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Webmonkey View Post
    Progress is slow,..
    Still it is progress!
    WIP thread. / Cmon Gallery / Instagram

Final product. For my first real attempt at realism, I think it came out ok. Not perfect, but I did learn a lot while doing it, and that's what counts.

Name:  20170529_100314.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  790.8 KB

Looks good and another level up for you. A few things could be tweaked as Maxxxxx mentioned, but they wouldn't even be notices if we didn't have that over achiever Bailey makng us all lok bad! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Maenas View Post
    Still it is progress!
    This in spades. You are progressing significantly better than I am recently.

Thanks kb. It's been a learning experience,.. both scary and fun, at times. But if I don't push myself, I'll never grow.

That's a crazy bust to tackle for your first foray into realism. Hell even I eased in with steampunk leia o_O
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Nice job on the bust. I really like the blossom pattern on the little fan.

I must be the only mini painter in the world, who couldn't possibly care less about gw's new releases. My Facebook pages are full of images of the new models,.. which look almost exactly like the old models. Am I missing something that makes them special? So they're a little taller,... So what? But then again, I'm not a gw fanboy,.. So maybe I'm overly biased.

I like the new tactical marines, but the jump troops and captains look weird. I'll pick up a boxed set to paint and sell. The fluff is a very clumsy cover for them basically re branding marines and increasing their scale. The new rules look neat as you can get in and play faster, not that i will ever come back to gaming. Too much fun painting!

Well I am not a super GW fanboy neither, but still, I like some specific models, but in any way I like everything that comes out from GW.
    As an example I find the new steampunk dwarf army somewhat weird, on Bloodbowl I like quite a lot of models but there are quite a few that I completely dislike.
    So all in all you are not the only one that don't like GW models, in fact since I am in these forums there are quite a lot of brands and sculptors that I prefer over them!!

Also, congratulations on finishing your samurai bust, it looks very good and I also like the detail of the fan.
    WIP thread. / Cmon Gallery / Instagram

Agreed, it's become very pick and choose with GW these days. So much competition out there we are spoiled for choice

I'm not really a fan of GW models, but the new starter box *is* tempting.
    Especially the nurgle machine, which is weird, as I hate nurgle models.
    Forgot, that it works again.

The new 40k set is kind of so so, the marines are as zab said a thinly veiled attempt to increase the scale however I do find the new ones look more well proportioned and the guns don't look so bulky (the pistols look like they could actually fit in a holster now) I'm not a fan of their new helmets though, I prefer the more traditional "beaky" or frowny face grill helmets, the new jump pack troops look more like they hover around shooting things than jumping chainsword first into battle which isn't as cool

Great work on the bust above by the way, lovely freehand work on it

Thanks,.. Though I have to admit I stole the basic color scheme and pattern from Bailey. (I asked him beforehand). The point wasn't to copy his work, but rather to try to teach myself how to do it in the first place.

Great work on the bust Webmonkey. There's a noticeable step up in quality between it and your previous martial artist. Cracking work on the patterning on the fabric.

On the GW topic, I'm all in favour of the new standard space marines. The jump pack troops are a bit anime for me.
    But from what's in the new starter box:
    Name:  IMG_0117.JPG
Views: 147
Size:  76.6 KB
    That is exactly what a space marine should look like. And the Nurgle lord is a testament to GW's design and molding talent.
    Name:  IMG_0111.JPG
Views: 146
Size:  135.2 KB

I'm glad to see the forum has come back to life. Seemed to die off a bit for a while there. Mostly just the hard-core-holdout types around. It's nice to see all the activity, the new work, and see the new faces start coming around.

I am SOOOOOOO going to buy this if he produces it,...

Name:  18814826_1689252204711050_6369011768608498504_o.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  133.5 KB