Webmonkey's Garage Kits,... - Page 17
Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Webmonkey's Garage Kits,...

On the thunderbolt... maybe you can treat it like if it has a "pice of night sky" with a thunderbolt in it rather than the thunderbolt itself. hope you'll understand. ^^'
    WIP thread. / Cmon Gallery / Instagram

Finally finished I think,...

It's only a flesh wound!!!

The skin looks really well done and I like the blending on the lightning bolt. It could be just the picture or I need glasses finally but it looks like a bit of brown is showing through the white part of the eagle/falcon's wing?

Chees!

I like the work you've put into this piece. Is there any chance of seeing more pictures of different angles?

here's a slightly different angle,.. what kind of angles you want??,..

Would like to see the face and possibly the back as well ^_^

the back should be easy enough. the face is a bit harder though, as he's "looking down upon the world". But I'll try to get a better angle if I can.

wow,.. 13 votes and only a 6.5,..

And now 29 votes in,.. and dropped to 5.9?? is it really painted that badly?? Maybe my eyes and my monitor are showing me something others aren't seeing?? (not trying to get hung-up on the scores, but still,.. that seems a bit askew and a bit harsh I think. Am I just getting snipered to death??)

Webmonkey, it's not painted badly but on screen it does look unfinished,I bet in real life it looks very neat and clean as you would expect a god to look like,all white and godly.
    To make a difference between the toga and beard ,hair colour maybe there could be more grey in the hair and beard.he is old .
    Just the difference in the whites would break it apart, leave the toga as is

In my mind it is an 8 from the picts. Below a 7 seems rediculous to me. Lightning bolt, eagle,toga, and base are fine. Skin is ok, but transitions are a little rough. I'm i am iffy on the hair and wrist bracer. Bracer doesn't look finished in the pict and I think you would have been better served with grey hair to contrast with the toga.

Oh and i think you have the right amount of osl.

taking a few of the suggestions I've received, I tried some deeper shading on the hair and beard, and the white of the toga. And here' a 360 of the model, as requested,.. (as always, C&C appreciated)

In the pictures the contrast looks much better.

Btw the back side left sholder looks to have white blead onto the skin.

Looking good! Love what you did with the lightning bolt.

I think, when you're dealing with several pale colors close to each other, lining becomes very important. A gray or brown line along where his skin and toga meet, for example, will add some depth and separation and make things look more finished.

I really like the upgraded lightning mate and as Kbear has said this seems to have better contrast which looks great

with October still a few weeks away, I've started a separate project. As always,.. still a long way to go. But the early stage is looking promising.

nice contrast - good work on the white!
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Quote Originally Posted by Webmonkey View Post
    A quick little tutorial I did on pastel skin shading. (it's in 2 parts. part 1 is tools and such, and part 2 is the actual tutorial) I hope you enjoy,.. and as always, comments encouraged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjJvbut623o

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrYRArbYyc8

Hi Webmonkey! I've been thinking about trying out some pastels for shading on the bust I'm currently working on and MAXXxxx pointed me in your direction. Thanks for these tutorial videos - they're great and very appreciated.
    Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do. ~ Edgar Degas

ArchArad's WIP
    ArchArad's CMON Gallery

Thanks!! I hope you found them helpful. I really like this method,. not only are the pastels super cheap, but you get a lot of color choices for the money. And it really does produce some stunning results. You can use them with any colors,.. but skin tones are where they really shine. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. It's high praise, I should think, that Maxx finds my meager talents to be good enough to send people to. I'm both honored and humbled.

Next up,... I've had a few people ask me to show them how I do sheer and/or semi-sheer stockings. If I get enough interest for it,.. I will do a tutorial for it. And perhaps another for eyes. People really seem to like the eyes that I do.

Thoughts on what you'd like to see??
    Last edited by Webmonkey; 09-18-2015 at 12:43 PM.

The stocking tutorial would be very useful - I have some ideas for future models and no idea how to achieve them!

Just one question: Do you find that sealing changes the darkness of the pastels? If so I must just adjust my colour choices.

Thanks again for your help! I hope you realise this means that you'll probably never get rid of me.
    Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do. ~ Edgar Degas

ArchArad's WIP
    ArchArad's CMON Gallery