House Rules
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46

Thread: House Rules

  1. #1

    Default House Rules

    So the topic today is which house rules (if any) do you play Zombicide using? I'll share those which our group has used, and maybe others can suggest a few of their own, with the goal being introduce these rules to other players who are interested in modifying their Zombicide missions "for the better".

    Combat: Ranged

    Ranged attacks only hit/injure other survivors in the target zone when an attack misses. For example, Survivor A (yellow level) fires a Pistol into an adjacent zone which contains Survivor B and 2 Walker Zombies. Survivor A rolls a 6 on their attack roll and kills 1 Walker Zombie. Survivor A attacks again, but this time rolls a 2, inflicting a Wound to Survivor B. Survivor A now has a tough choice, does he use his last Action to fire a third time and try to kill the last Walker Zombie or opt not to because a second missed attack would kill Survivor B and prevent him from rising up as a Zombivor.

    Combat: Ranged /w Vehicles

    Survivors inside the same car cannot accidentally injure/shoot each other with missed Ranged attack Actions, as they are shooting outside the car. However, this rule does not extend to Survivors outside the car, as they can be both accidentally shot by Survivors using Ranged attacks from inside a car, or they themselves may accidentally injure Survivors inside a car, while standing outside, with a missed Ranged attack.

    Vehicles: Abomination "Wall"

    A car may enter the zone with an Abomination, however the Abomination stops/ends the car's Movement action. Furthermore, once in the same zone as an Abomination a car may only exit the zone the same way it entered, as the Abomination "blocks" its path. In the event an Abomination enters the same zone as a car the Survivors may only choose to move the car to a zone other than the one the Abomination just moved from (indicating its direction and the path it blocks). In the event a car is trapped/blocked-off in a dead end zone by an Abomination the only option for the Survivors is to abandon the car until such time as they can lure the Abomination away or kill it.

    Equipment: Removed Cards

    The Bottled Water, Canned Food, and Bags of Rice cards were removed from the Equipment deck.

    Zombie Spawn: Removed Cards

    All zombie spawn cards that had a Blue Threat level Abomination spawn were removed from the Zombie Spawn deck.

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mobius187 View Post
    So the topic today is which house rules (if any) do you play Zombicide using?
    All the house rules I play with can be found in this handy PDF...

    And I'll soon be using those from this one and also this one too...

    :P
    In memoriam - the Tearful 107, May 6th 2012

    (banner by Joshua "Cornbread" Harris (AKA: Skittlebrau))

  3. #3

    Default

    The only one I play is that no matter what the scenario says I only play 4 survivors solo. Makes life tough but happy to have losses more often than wins as I think it reflects more how often I win in competitive games rather than co-ops. After playing a few more car scenarios I can see why some people have changed the rules but ultimately I am happy to play "as is".
    JokerOx? Ox? Stupid fat fingers and the keyboard it's supposed to be Oz!

  4. #4

    Default

    I think my only house rule is that cars can be safely driven through areas with only survivors. If there are no zombies, you'd be driving safely, right? However, if the zone has both zombies and survivors, then normal rules apply.

  5. #5

    Default

    When we play, we ignore the zombie splitting rules. I don't like the idea of zombies just appearing randomly because there are uneven groups.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
    When we play, we ignore the zombie splitting rules. I don't like the idea of zombies just appearing randomly because there are uneven groups.
    What about the appearing randomly when searching or opening doors ?
    JokerOx? Ox? Stupid fat fingers and the keyboard it's supposed to be Oz!

  7. #7

    Default

    Interesting how may house rules people use!
    I like the "Abomination Wall" and will have to try it!
    I never considered limiting to 4 survivors, but I like that as well.
    I don't consider modifying the deck as unusual. We keep in the food and stuff that is not useful to make searching more interesting, but occasionally remove some weapons. For instance limiting one of any dual wielding ranged weapon. We keep the extras on the side so that an individual with the evil twin trait can "find" two.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JokerOx View Post
    What about the appearing randomly when searching or opening doors ?
    We follow that rule. Those fit the zombie theme really well, but the idea of a zombie going through some sort of strange meiosis seems silly to me.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vargz View Post
    Interesting how may house rules people use!
    I like the "Abomination Wall" and will have to try it!
    I never considered limiting to 4 survivors, but I like that as well.
    I don't consider modifying the deck as unusual. We keep in the food and stuff that is not useful to make searching more interesting, but occasionally remove some weapons. For instance limiting one of any dual wielding ranged weapon. We keep the extras on the side so that an individual with the evil twin trait can "find" two.
    We take the supply cards out for scenarios that don't use them, since you can only search once a turn. The difficulty can really ramp up to the point that wasting an action getting some canned food can be really frustrating when it offers absolutely no benefit. That's why I like the cookies. At least they give you +1 experience.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vargz View Post
    Interesting how may house rules people use!
    I like the "Abomination Wall" and will have to try it!
    Yeah, my group noticed that as long as we had someone with Tough (i.e. Nick) the Abomination could be ignored. In fact, while we never implemented it there was a suggestion to have the Abomination's damaged ramped up to 2, rather than 1, so it ignored Tough. We haven't tried that yet though because the Abomination does still serve as a source of annoyance (or did pre-Season 2) because it could follow you around and force you to burn actions in order to move from zone to zone.

    I never considered limiting to 4 survivors, but I like that as well.
    I have done this before, but only when we had 4 or more players. Otherwise with 2 or 3 players we opted to split the 6 survivors 2 or 3 ways. It's a shame Zombicide doesn't come with a way to adjust for fewer survivors, like... -1 zombie spawned for every 1-2 survivors below 6. So at 4-5 survivors it would be -1 zombie spawned per threat level, and -2 zombies at 1-3 survivors. Or something along those lines.

    I don't consider modifying the deck as unusual. We keep in the food and stuff that is not useful to make searching more interesting, but occasionally remove some weapons. For instance limiting one of any dual wielding ranged weapon. We keep the extras on the side so that an individual with the evil twin trait can "find" two.
    As Captain Awesome mentioned, my group hates useless cards. I mean, they're fine with a Scope or Glass Bottle, at least those can be used for something (maybe), but a Bag of Rice is 100% useless unless it's a mission goal. So for us we've opted to remove them unless the mission states otherwise.

  11. #11

    Default

    The bag of rice (& other food stuff) are not totally useless. If you take a hit and have to sacrifice an item I'd rather throw a bag of rice instead of the shotgun or chainsaw...

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
    We follow that rule. Those fit the zombie theme really well, but the idea of a zombie going through some sort of strange meiosis seems silly to me.
    I guess in my mind it is not so much an "actual" zombie splitting but more increased numbers being disturbed by the movement of others and heading off in the direction of the noise.

    ...and I definitely leave the food cards in as in my cinematic mind the need for food and water is always there whether or not it's needed to win a particular scenario.

    (but i do understand the reasons why some of you do take them out as they often appear at the worst times)
    JokerOx? Ox? Stupid fat fingers and the keyboard it's supposed to be Oz!

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vargz View Post
    The bag of rice (& other food stuff) are not totally useless. If you take a hit and have to sacrifice an item I'd rather throw a bag of rice instead of the shotgun or chainsaw...
    For our group that's what the Frying Pan cards are for, since if you had to choose between finding a useless item, which could only be used for discarding when injured and an actually useful item, which you could then sacrifice when injured. I would personally opt for the useful item, but that's just my opinion.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mobius187 View Post
    For our group that's what the Frying Pan cards are for, since if you had to choose between finding a useless item, which could only be used for discarding when injured and an actually useful item, which you could then sacrifice when injured. I would personally opt for the useful item, but that's just my opinion.
    That's how my group looks at it. Unless things go terribly wrong, we aren't taking wounds before we've found other weapons, and all of the starting items just become fodder for wounds.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mobius187 View Post

    Combat: Ranged

    Ranged attacks only hit/injure other survivors in the target zone when an attack misses. For example, Survivor A (yellow level) fires a Pistol into an adjacent zone which contains Survivor B and 2 Walker Zombies. Survivor A rolls a 6 on their attack roll and kills 1 Walker Zombie. Survivor A attacks again, but this time rolls a 2, inflicting a Wound to Survivor B. Survivor A now has a tough choice, does he use his last Action to fire a third time and try to kill the last Walker Zombie or opt not to because a second missed attack would kill Survivor B and prevent him from rising up as a Zombivor.

    Combat: Ranged /w Vehicles

    Survivors inside the same car cannot accidentally injure/shoot each other with missed Ranged attack Actions, as they are shooting outside the car. However, this rule does not extend to Survivors outside the car, as they can be both accidentally shot by Survivors using Ranged attacks from inside a car, or they themselves may accidentally injure Survivors inside a car, while standing outside, with a missed Ranged attack.
    I use the same Ranged House Rule as it just makes way more sense to me while still being thematic in making a saving shot on a fellow survivor.

    The Vehicle rule I simplified to cars grant "Low Profile" for occupants. This way they won't shoot each other AND the car will act as a shield for them when survivors are shooting into the same square.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mobius187 View Post
    For our group that's what the Frying Pan cards are for, since if you had to choose between finding a useless item, which could only be used for discarding when injured and an actually useful item, which you could then sacrifice when injured. I would personally opt for the useful item, but that's just my opinion.
    Of course not everyone starts with a pan
    JokerOx? Ox? Stupid fat fingers and the keyboard it's supposed to be Oz!

  17. #17
    Newbie, please be gentle Lythaeum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    long island, new york
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    0

    Default House Rules

    Quote Originally Posted by Mobius187 View Post
    So the topic today is which house rules (if any) do you play Zombicide using? I'll share those which our group has used, and maybe others can suggest a few of their own, with the goal being introduce these rules to other players who are interested in modifying their Zombicide missions "for the better".
    For the better? Umm, I don't know about better but I have made it far more complex.

    I combined pretty much every game into one game. The overall game play is Zombicide, Zpocalypse, Last Night On Earth over D&D Adventure Game backbone.

    Using house rules to bridge the gaps and conversions.

    I converted all combat to D&D Adventure (D&D Miniatures)

    I broke all character abilities into cards. Each character has four abilities listed on their character card. Characters can spend XP to draw randomly for abilities or choose one of the abilities listed on their character card.

    I split the items into decks as per Zpocalypse -- Food, Armory (Weapons), Equipment (most items), Scrap, and Survivors. Which deck is drawn from depends on the map or Encounter cards. This way I could avoid, say, food cards if I wanted

    I expanded barricades by pulling in all of these sources and some more.

    I brought in Zombie types from every source I could find and grouped them under Zombicide spawn card types.

    Added event cards from LNOE and Zombies!!! by Twilight Creations and Frag just for the first person shooter feel of Quad Damage and Hacking

    It is ongoing and will get playtested come Christmas break.

  18. #18

    Default

    We have a house rule of cars counting as a single noise token while being operated (survivor in the driver's seat). The cars revert to silent when the driver's seat is empty.
    Last edited by Hasmot; 11-25-2013 at 06:42 PM.

  19. #19
    Newbie, please be gentle Lythaeum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    long island, new york
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    An example of overly complex:

    Car Alarms

    Car alarms can be loud, very loud. Zombies are attracted to loud. Whether or not cars have alarms may be in the Scenario or Mission
    description. Car alarms are set off if the car is touched, opened, attacked, or possibly even by Noise. If the car is opened without
    the keys or an open attempt is made to see if the car is locked then roll a check for the car alarm. If the check result is that there
    is no alarm then mark that car somehow to note that it does not have an alarm.

    Any time a noise producing weapon is used in the same Zone as a car roll a check for the car alarm. If a Ranged weapon is fired at an
    enemy in a Zone with a car, roll a check for the car alarm. If the car does not have an alarm go off after two of these attack related
    checks, then mark that car as having no car alarm.

    To check to see if there is a car alarm that goes off, roll 1d6. On a 1 the car is alarmed and you just set it off. Optionally Police
    cars and Pimpmobiles have alarms on 1-2 and 1-3 respectively. If a car alarm is set off, immediately draw 1 Spawn Card per Survivor
    player. The newly spawning Zombies will use the Spawn Points closest to the car alarm. Place 10 Noise Tokens on the car. Remove 1
    Noise Token per Round. A Survivor with the Thief Ability, Hot-wire Ability or Mechanic Ability can stop the alarm with an Action if
    he is in the car or adjacent to it. If the Survivor has the keys to the car, then that also will stop the alarm.

    A good tactic could be to shoot at cars that are far away from your group to keep the Zombies chasing noise. The downside is the greater
    number of Zombies brought in by the loud noise.

  20. #20

    Default

    Wow your House Rules make the game super easy. The only "House Rule" per say we use now is whoever gets the Nightsticks at the start of the game also gets a companion dog. Since we added companion dogs and they are very OP, we added the Zombie dog spawn cards as well. Not sure if this is a House Rule, however we use all the extra Zombies I now own and we never need to do "extra" activations due to not having enough of one type of mini.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Privacy Policy  |   Terms and Conditions  |   Contact Us  |   The Legion


Copyright © 2001-2018 CMON Inc.

-->