misterjustin's Project Log -- Laputa Robot & Landscaping Truck
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: misterjustin's Project Log -- Laputa Robot & Landscaping Truck

I've been away for far, far too long -- and I'm happy to be coming back with two work in project posts.

The first is the Finemolds kit for the Laputa robot -- and I picked up both of them so I'd have both figures. Of course for the scene I'm trying to create I put together the wrong robot... but that's easily fixed. This one is going to go into an acrylic display box, so my space if very limited.

Name:  Laputa01.jpg
Views: 944
Size:  49.4 KB

I had originally planned to scratch build their glider, but the space limitations make that impossible. Instead I might add a pool of water where the clear bit of sprue is. I'm not sure yet though, and I'll get some of the ground work finished before I decide.

Also on my bench right now is another take on the Pick Up w/Equipment from Meng Models -- which I had previously used to create a quick and dirty zombie hunter truck for Powered Play to help show off their lighting kits. This time, however, I'm making it a landscaping service truck -- specifically MISTERJUSTIN LANDSCAPING -- complete with a scratch built tool rack, and tool bin, and some 3D printed landscaping tools.

Name:  LandscapingTruck01.jpg
Views: 985
Size:  48.3 KBName:  LandscapingTruck02.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  117.3 KBName:  LandscapingTruck03.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  39.7 KB

I'll have updates for these fairly regularly, as I can manage to paint a bit on most days now that the convention season is behind me.

And, of course, I almost always have bases and terrain to sculpt -- so I'll get some of those posts up here too.

Feedback is always welcome, and it's nice to be back!
    Last edited by misterjustin; 01-22-2014 at 06:53 PM.

Blog Entries

cool stuff. I'll be watching.

Neat! Milosh, that sounded creepy. I too will be watching...
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Yeah, looking forward to following this thread. You do some phenomenal weathering on your vehicles. I'm hoping to learn as much as I can from your posts.

The basic build is finished on the landscaping truck, and I've begin the weathering process. Obligatory Manhattan is obligatory.

I'll have detail shots when there's something interesting to see - and I'll get some pics of the landscaping tools as soon as they arrive.

Name:  Thursday.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  47.1 KB

Blog Entries

Whoa cool dude! No chainsaw for the "landscaping" tools?

I don't have a chainsaw, but I do have some loppers and clippers -- as well as a rake and shovel.

Today's non-sequitur is a quick look at one method of creating rust -- with two completely different finishes. I have to weather two trophies for "Best Weathering" contests we're supporting (one on our Facebook page; one for a regional IPMS event) and decided it was a good excuse to make a video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy4yaqXh09U

Geez, they are both lovely. Just started using powders myself - instantly hooked.

Pigments are a great way to accentuate weathering, and really make a model pop. I'm always happy to help with questions if you have them. I do know a thing or two about pigments....

Name:  DKoK.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  57.3 KB

I'm waiting for primer to dry on the Laputa project, and I'm waiting for my 3D printed pieces to arrive for the landscaping truck, and so I'm breaking my usual "only two projects" rule and starting this guy.

This is, without question, one of my all-time favorite models. I've actually had him since his release -- and I kept staring at him waiting until I was "good enough" to get the results I had pictured in my head. If all goes according to plan he'll be in DAK colors (tans) on a brown horse, sitting on a desert base.

PS: Yes, that's a Manhattan in the glass. It always is. Unless it's paint water, and I don't drink that O_O

HA! I'm doing that "until i'm good enough" thing with all the primarchs and other HH characters being released by Forge World these days. I have 'em I just can't paint 'em...yet. Thanks for giving me hope!

With the primer dry I finally got a chance to start in on the figures.

Day one - Pazu:

Name:  Laputa02.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  35.3 KB

Pazu is pretty much finished - I just need to finish his goggles, which I'll do after the scene is complete so I can ensure a universal light direction. But the base is going to be very dull if I just cover it in greenery and flowers, so I might add a column to dress it up a bit. This will also add some balance to the weight of the scene, without compromising the forced focus layout.

Of course the resin plinths are just place holders. We're pouring plaster into the production mold, and I'll use those 45mm pieces to make the rock pillars for the base

Name:  Laputa03.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  61.4 KB

Looking really nice, will be fun to follow this thread to see where it all ends. Keep up the good work.

/Kretcher
    work is boring when it gets in the way of my painting.

The Laputa diorama was vastly improved with a minor repositioning....

Name:  Laputa06.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  52.2 KB

And the landscaping truck has come a long way -- or at least the cargo has. I still have a LOT left to do to the truck itself....

Name:  LandscapingTruck05.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  60.4 KBName:  LandscapingTruck06.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  49.0 KBName:  LandscapingTruck07.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  56.1 KB

I have two weeks (from yesterday) to finish both of these projects if I want to take them to the next IPMS show... which would be plenty of time if I weren't neck deep in my day-to-day work for Secret Weapon Miniatures and Iron Box Games. Still, it's nice to have a deadline and a couple of projects that I'm really enjoying.

Nice! Given your progress, I think you'll be fine. Normally I'd tell you to blow off work for a bit to get this done, but you would know if you were lying to yourself and then you would have to pull yourself into a meeting where you would have to have a long talk with yourself about being part of a team and customers and motivation and then people would hear you talking to yourself and think you were crazy and then you would feel uncomfortable working with yourself because of all the rumors you be spreading. It would get weird for sure. Oh well, best report in bright eyed and bushy tailed for work tomorrow!

Loving that death korps horse, have you done a wip on your blog, I would be interested in any technique of horse painting.
    I have a space wolf rune priest from 2003 sitting on a primed cork ice shelf like base, cant paint him yet . . .

No WIP on the horse, I'm afraid. I knocked out the airbrushing in an hour or so, and still need to get in with the brush to finish it up. It's hard for me to get WIP shots for that because I tend to work so quickly.

@ Zab -- yeah, it's pretty difficult for me to lie to myself about why I'm late for work. Especially since this week is so crazy as we celebrate our 10,000th order, get ready for our Black Friday sales, and ramp up for holiday ordering. EEP!

I've started adding foliage to the Castle in the Sky diorama. I'm going to do this in batches, using 10 MiniNatur products, 6 Woodland Scenics, and some dried plants from the florist.

It's all a bit larger than it looks in the cartoon, but that was a conscious and intentional decision. I could have just used a bunch of fine foliage to re-create the film look, but that's not the point. Instead it looks a bit more like it would as a non-animated film.

Name:  Laputa07.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  78.1 KB