Material for modelling leather wrapping?

Thread: Material for modelling leather wrapping?

Default Material for modelling leather wrapping?

For example, leather wrapping the haft of a spear. Is there anything people use that's the right size and is easy to work with?

Just to confirm - you're trying to sculpt leather binding round a spear shaft?

I'd just roll some magic sculpt out thin, cut it into a strip with a knife, wrap it round and then use a variety of tools to rough up the edges.

Just to confirm - you're trying to sculpt leather binding round a spear shaft?
    I'd just roll some magic sculpt out thin, cut it into a strip with a knife, wrap it round and then use a variety of tools to rough up the edges.
    This is what I'm trying to avoid.

Obviously one can sculpt anything from scratch, but making a ton of super small thing regular strips just seems like a pita. Also, I don't need it to be rough, this is ~28mm scale roughly.

Blog Entries

Fabric or Crafts shops (Joanne Fabrics, Hobby Lobby, Michaels or A. C. Moore) may have some thin material that might be suitable for simulating leather.

Check out more of my wife's photography at: http://thereasagwinn.com

Why choose Space Wolves over other chapters?
    ‘They are desperate, and as savage as beasts.’
    Magnus lost his smile.
    ‘I no longer think of them as animals, Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptible. Single-minded. The perfection of my father’s vision.’
    Excerpt from Battle of the Fang

Quote Originally Posted by Patyrn View Post

Obviously one can sculpt anything from scratch, but making a ton of super small thing regular strips just seems like a pita. Also, I don't need it to be rough, this is ~28mm scale roughly.
    Make your own cutting tool- paste two x-acto blades together, maybe even put a thin piece of plastic card between them for the size you want. Then just roll out the epoxy putty and cut- viola! Instant strips, all one size!

Blog Entries

Ya, I would suggest green stuff. It's actually pretty easy to make a wrap. Or thin strips of paper soaked in PVA glue or acrylic medium.

Quote Originally Posted by Patyrn View Post

In truth, you will get the best effect using putty, but if you are trying to avoid it, then as Bloodhowl and Demihuman suggest, paper or fabric cut into a strip and put on with PVA would be your best bet. The biggest issue you face is the texture of what you use will dictate the finish. At 28mm, many fabrics have quite a loose weave and could look like cloth. A heavier weight paper (120gsm at a guess) could work if you soaked it so that it was flexible, thinner than that might not leave enough 'bulk' to look like wrapping.

Good luck and look forward to seeing the end piece!

I'd imagine glueing something onto a small weapon handle or shaft would be more of a hassle than sculpting it and would potentially leave a much messier result. I'd use green stuff as it's more flexible and more sticky than other putties. I've used Magic Sculpt before and it was tricky getting it to stick to the shaft and also the thin strip of putty had a tendency to break.

Use talcum powder to prevent the green stuff from sticking to the surface as you spread it out to a thin film. Cut a length of thin strip, then use the other, still sticky side, to make it stick to the weapon when attaching it.
    Combibo vestri peniculus quod fio a melior pictor.
    My gallery - go have a look!