Quick How-To: Critiques

Thread: Quick How-To: Critiques

Default Quick How-To: Critiques

Hey all! So, it's getting to be crunch time in my art class and critiques are coming up and that made me think of some of the feedback here on CMON. Just like my teacher says "It's good." or "I like it." is not very helpful to people. More often than not, I only see the really good comments and feedback on threads that solicit such responses but I feel we could up all our game if we all just try to think about our responses a bit more.

This is not to say you should be OVERLY critical, either. Again, saying things like "You have a small speck of dust on the feather 3 in from the left on the top row" isn't helpful- it's just splitting hairs. A happy medium between the two is what we're shooting for here. And of course we all should remember our upbringings and add a bit of diplomacy to our comments. For example, "You need some red right there" comes off worse than "I wonder what some red would look like there?" or even "I think some red there would help".

Those points made, some things to take into consideration and maybe comment or give feedback on are:
    -Color choice
    -Blends
    -Materials
    -Techniques
    -Content (This one's the hardest because people are predisposed to sculptors/ genres/ themes)
    -And of course, Ideas. This is another tricky area because the artist has a concept in mind they present and you have to say why or why not it works. Here's an example- an artist makes a very childish looking painting in oils because they want to echo back to childhood. But to everyone else, it just looks like a poorly executed painting. A good suggestion here is to say "If you want to recall childhood maybe using materials like crayons would work better?".

Well, just some things to think about when leaving feedback and comments on minins on the site, WIP logs, and of course Discuss Submissions threads!

Indeedy. I tend to kick off with something pleasant, finding something to praise can be as simple as colour choices. It creates an atmosphere, a different one that opening with negativity would create.

A big 'yep' to part about how to phrase critiques. Authoritative absolutes like 'you need to...' can come across better as 'you may need to'. Suggestions around a maybe or possibly. If taking the time to offer a critique, might as well take the time to phrase it in a way that should actually get through.

The easiest and best way to give criticism is to do it in a manner that YOU would wish to receive it.

Be kind, be polite, point out what you think needs working on (and possibly how) remember that its always about the other painter not you, and always end with something positive.

Use the mind set that you're touching on the "Child Ego" in us all and remember how it feels/felt to get "Knocked back" at school.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Make a shit sandwich between two tasty pieces of compliment bread. "You look great today but your face looks like it got mashed with a hammer. I think your hair looks great!" And that friends is how we manage.

"You can say anything you want to about people if you just say 'bless his heart' after. That's the ugliest baby I've ever seen.. Bless his heart." -Aaron Wilburn

Management. Grrrrr. Well, it's still better than "the mushroom treatment" some managers give out - Keep 'em in the dark and feed 'em s**t!
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

As Dragonsreach said, i always critique ppl in the way i would like to receive critiques. But i'm a bit different from ordinary ppl since i prefer absolute bluntness. :P

Anyway, the matter here is very important since feedback is what most painters here are searching for: saying " it's good" or "i like it" really does not help a lot if the painter is looking for improvement.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
    Hey all! So, it's getting to be crunch time in my art class and critiques are coming up and that made me think of some of the feedback here on CMON. Just like my teacher says "It's good." or "I like it." is not very helpful to people. More often than not, I only see the really good comments and feedback on threads that solicit such responses but I feel we could up all our game if we all just try to think about our responses a bit more.

This is not to say you should be OVERLY critical, either. Again, saying things like "You have a small speck of dust on the feather 3 in from the left on the top row" isn't helpful- it's just splitting hairs. A happy medium between the two is what we're shooting for here. And of course we all should remember our upbringings and add a bit of diplomacy to our comments. For example, "You need some red right there" comes off worse than "I wonder what some red would look like there?" or even "I think some red there would help".

Those points made, some things to take into consideration and maybe comment or give feedback on are:
    -Color choice
    -Blends
    -Materials
    -Techniques
    -Content (This one's the hardest because people are predisposed to sculptors/ genres/ themes)
    -And of course, Ideas. This is another tricky area because the artist has a concept in mind they present and you have to say why or why not it works. Here's an example- an artist makes a very childish looking painting in oils because they want to echo back to childhood. But to everyone else, it just looks like a poorly executed painting. A good suggestion here is to say "If you want to recall childhood maybe using materials like crayons would work better?".

Well, just some things to think about when leaving feedback and comments on minins on the site, WIP logs, and of course Discuss Submissions threads!
    This is a good post but I think you need to push the contrast...

...consistency of skim milk...

...mumble mumble...

Seriously though, a good thing to post Chrispy. I love getting positive feed back and have a relatively childish ego but getting specific pointers from folks even if I don't use them really helps.

As far as giving criticism I feel that pointing out your criticism as such is helpful. For example: "Criticism: I think you need to push contrast and thin your paints to the consistency of skim milk..."

Chrispy, where does your art school stuff live?

Quote Originally Posted by Demihuman View Post
    Chrispy, where does your art school stuff live?
    I have some stuff on my DeviantArt page below- Been meaning to get a working portfolio up, but some of the stuff I've done is like 2x3 feet and I've been swamped by various projects.. and I'm lazy.