Painting the different types of zombies

Thread: Painting the different types of zombies

Default Painting the different types of zombies

I've just gotten prison outbreak and toxic city mall. With those two, there are now three types of zombies, normal, berserker and toxic. How have people been painting them so that the three types can be distinguished easily but still look good?

II have not done any yet but I am thinking of not painting the bases.
    Sky

I have painted all my models, and how I differentiate is the colour of the edge of the bases.
    I did black for regular, green for toxic, and red for berzerkers.
    Sometimes when there are tons of zombies all in the same zone, you may not bbe able to see so clearly, but it's never actually been a problem for me.

Yeah, doing something with the bases is probably the clearest way. Though if you're okay with a more subtle approach you could try varying the skin color. Do more of a greenish zombie for the toxic ones, more of a grayish skintone for regular zombies, and something else for berzerkers... maybe more red in the skintone or just lots of blood all over them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey03 View Post
    Yeah, doing something with the bases is probably the clearest way. Though if you're okay with a more subtle approach you could try varying the skin color. Do more of a greenish zombie for the toxic ones, more of a grayish skintone for regular zombies, and something else for berzerkers... maybe more red in the skintone or just lots of blood all over them.
    Ha, I couldn't do this because when I originally painted my Zombicide, I made some zombies green to vary the skin tones, and all of my zombies have blood all over them.

Once I get some free time (and maybe the minis to practice on) I was going to post an article about "fantasy" type skintones, and I had a couple ideas for undead skin. First, there's the pale, blood drained corpse which is good for vamps, but maybe even zombies for contrast. This can be done by mixing a light blue grey with a pale skin color of your choice. Next, the petulance look can be achieved by blending in patches of red with yellow dots. The classic zombie look will usually be a greyish or unsaturated blue or green look- and if you go a bit darker you can put some bright yellow-green bleeding out from the eyes, mouth and other orifices of the toxic zombie for a good look. Possibilities are endless for undead flesh- just make sure it has an unsaturated look to it- as far as I know, there are no hot pink zombies running around in any media.
    Hope this helps get you started in the right direction!

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey03 View Post
    This was what I was considering.

Hi folks,

I'm new here but thought I'd chip in... I went with the green-skinned look for for my toxic zombies and I think they stand out well enough on the board. However, I struggled to find a good alternative to my usual zombie flesh colour for the berserkers though so in the end I'm hoping that the prison attire will be enough to make them stand out. I've yet to play with them so we'll have to see...

Really nice paint jobs!! What color green is that? I love the clear stands too! Where did you get those?
    Sky

Quote Originally Posted by Lance King View Post
    Really nice paint jobs!! What color green is that? I love the clear stands too! Where did you get those?
    Thank you Lance.

I painted them the same way I painted the non-toxic zombies (with Army Painter's Necrotic Flesh spray-on primer + Strongtone Quickshade) but added a couple of layers of Citadel's Waywatcher Green glaze to give them the green tint. I also added a few highlights using a Scorpion Green and white mix.

The bases are by Litko Game Accessories and are the 1.5mm thick ones (and 25mm diameter).

I've actually made a YouTube zombie-painting tutorial which explains how I paint and base my regular zombies if you're interested, although it is very much a beginner's guide and doesn't cover how I paint the toxic types.
    Last edited by Sorastro; 12-17-2013 at 04:23 PM.

Just watched the video. Well done!
    Sky