Our "childish" hobby
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Our "childish" hobby

Default Our "childish" hobby

I'm sure everyone here has encountered it.

The odd looks, the patronising comments ("I see you're in touch with your inner child"), the awkward shuffles as you show off your pride and joy...

Apart from nearest and dearest (who, God bless 'em usually get used to the idea), and err, children, the most universal response is one of bewilderment.

My usual strategy is to simply ignore negative comments or reactions, but cut short the tour at my 2nd piece.

Why are people so closed minded, if I sat on my arse watching sport all weekend, I'd be considered "normal", but actually being creative...oh what a wierdo!

Just a point to discuss, how often do you get a "wow" reaction compared to the far more common..."I see..." followed by a slow retreat, or rapid change of conversation.

For the most part, when people actually see what I've done the feedback and comments are mainly positive. (I'm sure everyone's heard the "How do you paint that small?" comment at least once). But when I try and explain what the hobby is about, I get varying degrees of confusion. Some of this can be because of the word "Miniature"- which can refer to the pewter variety but also the small paintings such as the Persian culture is known for. Other times, it's comments I make like: "Oh, I paint miniatures used for wargames, but I don't play any myself." that confuse and bewilder people.
    As for people being close-minded; I know for a fact that in mammals (ESPECIALLY Hominids) we react to being alone by activating the fight or flight response so we can compete alone. But I'm wondering if just the opposite is true; that some have evolved to take pleasure in forcing others out of groups.. the "Douchebag" gene, if you will.
    Anyways, may have gotten off track with that, but if you like the hobby you're doing, no one else needs to. I for one can't see myself obsessed over fantasy football, baseball cards, etc, etc, which are all hobbies that have their niches and fans. But what it all comes down to:

I get a mix. Mainly wow, but I am lucky to work in a creative field and The Lady Inquisitor supports me and admires what I do, plus our spawn The Agent of Chaos breaks crap and then I get to buy and paint more crap. Actually, she just took in her blood angels army to kindergarten for show and share. I was pretty flattered about that. Now maybe the teachers think that the quiet, fully tattooed guy who paints little army men is gonna go nuts and do you know what, but I could care less what they think. Besides, they should be scared - I have mad baking skills and the next bake sale all those PTA moms are gonna have to compete with my muffins
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

I'm 57, and I couldn't give a Brass Bound Fart.

People at work know better than to try to play schoolyard "Pointy Finger' Oooh He's not one of US" with me.
    People I do share what I do with, understand that I took a different road a long time ago, and that has made all the difference.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

It's geeky. Being an aspect of geekdom, I find it too joyful, jubilant, glorious and exultant to be embarrassed about it. Any negative feeling towards it shan't get through my geeky armour and may even rebound as pity for those lesser mortals unable or unwilling to try to grasp it.
    I do, however, have trouble explaining it. I've not yet grown tired of the effort, unlike with my rpg hobby - with that I can go on about the collaborative creative elements, likening it being the script writer, director, producer and actor of a screenplay and after 2d6 minutes the blank stares remain so I fall back on "oh, you know, like d&d".

I tend to explain it as "I paint plastic models and similar", people immediately think of Airfix kits which is somehow more socially acceptable. If people question further I tend to say what I paint, but people are generally happy with leaving it Then again I'm also a LARPer so that tends to be more difficult to explain!

Embrace your individuality. Glory in the time you spend in geekdom. How many people can say that they are in the top nine thousand or so painters in the world indeed any top nine thousand or so anything?
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

It has always frustrated me that just because we are adults that shouldnt mean we can not have an imagination and an artistic flare.
    I always get "nice....... how much are they worth?"

A painting Geek!!!!! lol

Name:  A-Painting-Geek.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  33.4 KB
    Last edited by ten ball; 11-26-2013 at 05:25 AM.
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

I think the reaction you get varies quite greatly depending on the crowd. I regularly entertain my wife and mine work teams at my place, and my painted stuff inevitably gets a quick show. Many times I've got an odd look, a shrug, and a "whatever makes you happy, mate". I don't go looking for accolades, and I can barely paint as it is, so it's just a filler topic to tide things over to the next most interesting topic.

But I do remember I got lucky with my wife - when we were dating, I was honestly afraid to bring up the hobby for fear of being labelled 'hopeless geek' or something. Amazingly enough, she saw it simply as another medium of art.

That's when I knew I had a keeper .

Unfortunately society judges us on everything we do as an individual, and in there is the answer we are individuals if we all liked the same it would be a very boring world !
    The creativity that is shown on this forum is astounding and rivals work placed in an art gallery, so keep creating and befriend a big burly biker who may well be a geek and watch how many people change there opinion to that's nice !
    Wargames Terrain Workshop
    Home of High Quality Gaming boards, Scenery and Miniature Sculpting

Contact us @ wargamesterrainworkshop@yahoo.co.uk

hehe since I got into model horse shows, that has taken me into another level of geekiness. I have had some weird looks from the gamers about just how much we model horse shower's will pay for their hobby.

Yeah, but at least it's not as expensive as the real horses. Also the model ones poop less.
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

the responses from friends are soooo diverse. people do often look at me funny when they find out, i tell them to have a look if they want to. some people see the creativity, some people remember themselves playing warhammer as a kid (i even had some mates asking me to teach them to paint), some people think it´s weird, but then remind themselves I am also a running back for the local football team, and instantaneously change their minds

I tend to care less and less about what people think as i now know there are other geeks out there, who aren't the typical acne-ridden GW stink trolls, but rather nice people!

Some people think geeks have no lives. I think it´s the other way round, we have interests and hobbies, we like what we do, and we make friends who like what we like. That´s just too damn awesome! And mature, aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by Zab View Post
    Yeah, but at least it's not as expensive as the real horses. Also the model ones poop less.
    hmmmm can I direct your attention to this thread
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...p?47280-Holy-h

Its even worse because while they don't poop, they sure can grow (into a collection) very quickly.

You can also ride, pet, talk to, and cuddle real horsies. I love all animals that are really nervous!

According to QI the biggest killer of humans in Australia beating the black widow the great white and the box jelly fish is horses! As Stephen Fry put it a half ton animal that gets spooked by the fact there is a hedge next to it
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

Reminds me a lot of my pet... though that behavior is far less dangerous in a 20 lb corgi.

I find I get those looks mostly when I try to explain the hobby. As an engineer words have never been my forte. But when it comes to my friends I've never really had a problem with anyone accepting it. Even got a few of them into it back when we were in high school... though I think I'm the only one who hasn't stopped.

Oh course, trying to explain how much money I spend on tiny plastic people... well, that's a whole other issue

I've found that the best way to spin the hobby into a positive light is to place it in two ways:

1) As something I do "on the side"
    2) As something I can use to generate some income

I've found that if people think this is just a fun side-hobby which might make you a few bucks, they have absolutely no problem with you and won't recoil. In fact, they'll often ask how you mini hobby is going when you see them in the future!
    Happy gaming!
    -captpicard

I wouldnt worry at all, especially the looks and reactions I get from all around. If youre involved in the hobby, i.e. painting, reading, gaming, all or some of it, you are doing your mind good by keeping it active. There is also the new and novel factor that stems from the overall creativity of the hobby. Its hard to keep up sometimes! I would never want to be "normal", doing so would prolly increase my chances of a short life by conforming to what people would define as me. Keeping an active mind and continued learning will help reduce your risk of alzhiemers disease as well.

For those that havent seen this commercial, I think of my hobby every time I see it:

http://youtu.be/G9WpDp6DwQU

It brings joy to me and go bugger yourself if you don't support something that makes me happy. People around me learn quick that I have no problem pushing you out of my life completely if you cant support me for who I am, and ones that dont, I dont have to worry about anymore.