best brand of paints

Thread: best brand of paints

clansizemore

Default best brand of paints

What is the best paint brand on the market.

Vallajo, GW, P3, Reaper?

Oh geezus... here comes the tidal wave of opiniooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnsssss!!!! I vote for GW!! I regret nothiiiiiiiiiiiiiing.....
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

best brand is the "mixed brand", picking colors you like from the paintlines without bothering with the companies/brands themselves.

Massive can of worms! There are already quite a few topics on this subject - best bet is to have a search for some of them (won't take too long to find one or two). In summary - a huge chunk of opinion and personal preference

Best brand is that which works best for you.

clansizemore

what I am looking for is a paint with hiGH pigment so the layers can be thinner but I do not want paint that is too thick. It is kind of like wanting your cake and eating it too.

I doubt there's any single brand of paint with all those qualities. Try out a few brands and pick one that works perfectly for you and your chosen technique(s).

I'll admit I'm literally on the verge of switching exclusively to P3 paints, I really like the excellent coverage. They'll take water or thinner quite well, too, without separating too much. However, it may be just my technique (or lack of it), but I find layering with P3 quite difficult - I find that I'm wetblending more with P3 paints.

Vallejo has a far greater selection of paints, and they seem to layer on pretty seamlessly and easily for me. None of this wetblending nonsense going on. But they need some careful dilution, as they seem to split pretty quickly.

Your mileage may vary. I think you'll find a some good suggestions for starting points, but the rest of the journey is up to you.

You're going to struggle getting high pigment thin paints in truth. The latest GW and P3 paints are all what would be termed high pigment (and liquid pigment too). Liquitex acrylic are also meant to be really good on that front, however all of them are going to need to be thinned in some manner.

Personally what you'd be better off looking at is using water and some form of flow-aid to thin your paints which will 'hold' the pigments without them separating (up to a point anyway).

Blog Entries

The Reaper HD or GW Base (is that what they are calling the old Foundation paints now?) paints seem to match your description of what you want.

http://www.reapermini.com/Paints/hd

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/ca...e=paints-tools

Check out more of my wife's photography at: http://thereasagwinn.com

Why choose Space Wolves over other chapters?
    ‘They are desperate, and as savage as beasts.’
    Magnus lost his smile.
    ‘I no longer think of them as animals, Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptible. Single-minded. The perfection of my father’s vision.’
    Excerpt from Battle of the Fang

Keep in mind not to limit yourself to just miniature acrylics. Sometimes I like to use Liquitex or other "artist" paint because it's a bit thicker and helps with things like yellow. I've also highly praised cheap gouache and watercolor for it's ability to be easily wiped off, but can be sprayed to set it. And though I've tried water-based oils on a mini and wasn't 100% happy with the results, I hear it's great for drybrushing and terrain work. Speaking of terrain and basing- if you have a set color you like to use, go get a quart from your hardware store. You can water it down and you'll never have to keep a stock of $4 mini paints just for the base!
    When shopping for paints I have learned a hard lesson of quality/price ratio. If a paint seems like a bargain, in the long run it won't be.
    All this said, I usually prefer Vallejo Model Color (NOT Game Color!).

@ Chrispy

Out of curiousity, why not game colour?

from my experiences:
    VGC quality dropped around 2007. The pigmentation got worse, the paint got thinner.
    Also there is something in the binder used for VGC that makes painting harder / blends worse. Quite simply it behaves soo much different from VMC/VAC that it's not worth anything compared to the vmc counterpart.

Ah, cool. Thanks for clearing that up.

Do you think this is still the case with the VGC paints?

Yes, but i have heard great things about the Game air range if you have an AB

Thanks Zab.

Quote Originally Posted by Zab View Post
    Oh geezus... here comes the tidal wave of opiniooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnsssss!!!! I vote for GW!! I regret nothiiiiiiiiiiiiiing.....
    Zab you have licked too much of your favourite paint ,it is making you nutters....LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Terrafirma View Post
    Zab you have licked too much of your favourite paint ,it is making you nutters....LOL
    Yeah I should really cut back- hold on there's some left in the bottom.

Mmmmm Sybarite Greeen. Tastes like sorrow...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Zab View Post
    Yes, but i have heard great things about the Game air range if you have an AB
    this.

with the extra, that in the mean time scale75 released their range, so I'd rather invest into them than to VGC.

Not sure there is a best brand. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses.

I use Badger Stynylrez primers through an airbrush for priming. Best I have found so far. (and fairly cheap)
    I use Badger Minataire paints for airbrushing. (easier and less wasteful than thinning GW paints) Their metallic paints, however, are not very good - IMO.
    For most brushwork I use GW paints. Most are pretty decent with the exception of their white. Tough to get it to the right consistency and it dries on the brush super fast when painting really small details. (why I went to Vallejo for faces)
    For faces, I use Vallejo. Like them better for the fine detail and blending than the GW.
    I also use several different Liquitex products for thinning, airbrushing, and increasing dry time.