Zoggin Git'z WIP Pit
Page 1 of 85 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Zoggin Git'z WIP Pit

Default Zoggin Git'z WIP Pit

Hello to all my fans and friends which is probably about 1 person....if I am lucky. This is my first WIP post and hopefully not my last. Since I am and always will be a true ork at heart I thought it only fitting that I start with my most loved model that was personally created for me by my brother. It is of my Ork Warlord Vizgut Toofsnagga. The craft of the model is really cool, but the paint job is HORRIBLE, I am so ashamed. So on the top of my to do list I want to breath some new life into this Big Bad Ass on a Super Cybor. Please feel free to point out my failings (which is all of it) and let me know the areas I can really make him shine in.
    Name:  Viz1.JPG
Views: 3258
Size:  342.9 KBName:  Viz2.JPG
Views: 3268
Size:  338.0 KB
    Next is my Warboss Nazdreg Ud Urgrub. I probably misspelled him, but what do orks care. This guy used to be my favorite real character in the ork army list but I was never impressed by any rendition GW did of him. Since he is probably the second most bad ass ork next to Ghazkull I figured he needed to be beefy like him as well. So I kitbashed the snot out of Ghazzy and came up with my own model. Again paint job is rough...ok piss poor, but I have decided to give him a bit of love as well. I really liked how his famed Kustom Mega Blasta came out (2nd edition Traktor Kannon FTW).
    Name:  Nez1.JPG
Views: 3176
Size:  299.5 KBName:  Nez3.JPG
Views: 3124
Size:  292.2 KB
    Well hopefully I can get to work on some of these guys again, and I do have a new personal sculpt Im working on at the moment. It is Squish and Squash's much older brother. Squatzalot (Name is debatable) Anyways hope you guys enjoy and give some good feed back. Till next time.

Blog Entries

Ah ha!

Well you certainly have some conversion skills. Are you going to strip these guys or try to fix them up? It might be worth it to try out some new techniques on some other figs first to see what works for you. I bet you have a couple of unpainted boyz lying around.

You might want to pick up the GW wash set. I bet if you went over that yellow with some sepia it might give it some more depth. By depth I mean that it will add shadows and make it look more 3 dimensional. Maybe try it in a hidden spot first. Also the metals look good and kind of textured maybe try to get that with your colors?

So by give em some love do you mean update what is there or strip and repaint? I think you could just update what is there with some washes and highlights and glazes. Also never be ashamed of what ya post here! We are all here to learn and improve expect for a few members I currently suspect of being robot witches - YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE! I'm not crazy BTW...
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Thanks Demi, I can't take credit for the cybor conversion though, just the Nazdreg one. I will admit I painted these guys before I knew about washes. Badab Black is my friend. I will look into this Sepia one though that you mentioned.

Oh great, comments from a crazy man. Lol j/k. What I meant by give them some love is touching them up. I do not want to strip them because some parts are platic some metal and a lot of glue that would take 10 years to redo. There are also a lot of details to these models I just never know what to do with so it mostly ends up being black. The yellows are too bright in my opinion so I think I am going to tone that back some like Demi suggested. Any other color palet suggestions that might help them pop?

Hi, as Zab says - never be ashamed of your work, NEVER!

Yep, very nice conversions. Before you move on to shading / highlights make sure to get a smooth solid base layer. Build up the colour (eg on the yellows) over 3-5 coats waiting for each to dry before moving on.
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Quote Originally Posted by ten ball View Post
    Yep, very nice conversions. Before you move on to shading / highlights make sure to get a smooth solid base layer. Build up the color (eg on the yellows) over 3-5 coats waiting for each to dry before moving on.
    Thank you 10 for the advice. I was actually looking over ole Nazdreg last night and thinking the same thing, especially in the yellow which you pointed out. As for the ashamed thing. I can't say I am ashamed, I was just quoting the shrimp off of Finding Nemo after he cleaned the fish tank. I would say if anything I am more envious of all you other good artists talents. I am my own worst critic after all.

Being your own worst critic is not a bad thing if you use it to motivate yourself to improve. Listening to good advice from talented artists is also a good thing and you've had three already post on here. Keep pushing forward
    Wargames Terrain Workshop
    Home of High Quality Gaming boards, Scenery and Miniature Sculpting

Contact us @ wargamesterrainworkshop@yahoo.co.uk

ONWARD INTO BATTLE! I am constantly amaze how cool people are here. I have never been part of an online community but I am stoked to be part of this one. Makes me want to quit my job and through all my energy into making and painting cool minis.

Does anyone have any cool ideas I might be able to use for basing Nazdreg. He makes me sad just looking at him on a regular base.

You could have him riding over a fallen foe or maybe some grots who didn't get out the way fast enough

Maybe do up a base that is part rock and part corroded metal or metal mesh? Since Orks tend to ravel via ROCs that would be a good setting to put him in.

Hmm. Perhaps your both on to something. And slowly the gears in my head begin to turn.

I have dabbled a bit with Vizgut and Nazdreg above, but sadly life seems to be throwing a lot of curve balls my way. I haven't had time to take decent pictures if my latest sculpt but wanted to show him off. I have also already modified him from these photos but that is the bulk of it.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2828
Size:  206.7 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 2836
Size:  232.2 KB
    Also I am up for suggestions on a name. If I get a lot of response i will probably make a poll. Enjoy and happy holidays everyone.

Wow nice sculpt! Chuckles, that's what he looks like to me.

Well through the holidays and into the new year I have been working with the speed of...well something very slow. I have never been fast but that is a fault of mine, maybe I have ADD or something. Anyways so far on my Vizgut Toofsnagga, I have made a little progress but not much to tell. Mainly I have been doing what was suggested and building up some of the lighter areas like the yellows and ivory and all in all getting standard colors laid down. I am wanting to tackle the helmet now but I am struggling on what to do to make it dirty. The second part is the boars fur. I found a good color I liked and splashed some devlen mud on it which worked great but now I need to highlight it I think to make it stand out.Attachment 24785Attachment 24784
    Now on to the sculpting. Chuckles is what I have come to call this guy (Thanks Zab) He has been slow going from the holidays and I need to have him finished by Feb (which is already coming way to fast) A lot of the detailing is rough because I still havn,t figured out the best way to smooth detail work in chevant NSP hard clay. He did have a bottom row of teeth already in place but I think Vizgut snagged them late last night, pretty sure he just needed some more teef to fund his upcoming army, but it provided me with a way to work on getting a tongue in there. In retrospect I really hate open mouths and find them a pain to work on. His feet are coming along nicely but your going to have to wait for those.Name:  IMG_3089.JPG
Views: 2963
Size:  907.1 KBName:  IMG_3088.JPG
Views: 2905
Size:  911.7 KBName:  IMG_3087.JPG
Views: 2920
Size:  939.7 KB
    Well here is to a New Year of fun and creature making.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Some sepia washes on the yellows will help give them some depth and then you can use browns and greenish browns on the horns. Yellow is a tough colour to get right, but it doesn't take much to make it look dirty and battered. Is chuckles a giant squig? I like the texture of his skin it's go a very elephantine/ dinosaurish quality to it.

Thanks for the advice Zab. When you say sepia tone is that a type of gw paint I can get like devlin mud wash? As for giant...yes he is. I must admit I am kind of happy with how the flesh is coming out. I have never been good at creating things out of my head or referencing things but I am working on it and pushing my boundaries with this guy.

Gryphon Sepia is the wash Zab is referring to and is a GW paint, it's a yellow wash that will add tone and shading to the yellow areas.
    Nice progress on chuckles, does the clay your using go hard by itself or do you have to cure it another way ?

Yep if you don't want to buy the sepia you can mix it from a few colors like orange, red and brown. You seem to have an innate ability for sculpting. I have only just started to dabble in small GS details.

Quote Originally Posted by wargamesculptor View Post
    Gryphon Sepia is the wash Zab is referring to and is a GW paint, it's a yellow wash that will add tone and shading to the yellow areas.
    Nice progress on chuckles, does the clay your using go hard by itself or do you have to cure it another way ?
    Thanks for the help wargamer. As for chuckles, the clay I use is firm but never truly hardens. After I finish I use my fancy mold and casting kit (smooth-on) to make a rubber mold and cast him in white liquid plastic. Haven't mastered that process yet but I have come a long way with it. The teeth I did something new with and made those with sculpt and baked them hard.

and thanks for the compliment Zab. Dabble away to perfection...that's what I'm trying to do but it's a long road ahead.
    Last edited by Digganob; 01-07-2014 at 02:06 PM.