Copic Marker Art
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Copic Marker Art

Blog Entries

Default Copic Marker Art

In my quest to get back into the seat with my artistic pursuits (Yeah, yeah the minis and sculpting will be coming) I have been investigating marker pens. Copic markers are the leading brand, made in Japan and very pricey but refillable and the nibs are replaceable also. And you can use them in an airbrush system. I figured it would be interesting to try and invested in the 72 set A and set B to get me started and the airbrush system. Must say great fun. Good training for watercolour to as obviously you have to work from light to dark and pretty much have to use layering to shade with a little bit of use of a colourless blender pen.

This is the second doodle I did with them. COntains some drawing mistakes I am afraid as this was marker outline straight to paper with no pencil work and ink outline. Brave of me tbh. But yeah, several mistakes lol. Note to self - don't be brave. This picture is a Tony Blair Joker. Apt I thought. As I drew the ear first and it was goofy I thought a Blair Joker would be perfect......

The height is A4 but its on an A3 page, still a work in progress obviously....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Gallery Here

CMON Rank: Will paint for Jelly Beans...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj16XzvZAxM - Even though it's just black and white, it's worth a look. Those colors look really bright! I thought it was gouache or something more opaque. I got some Primacolor markers a while ago 'cause Copic seemed pricey, but the refillable nature along with the brush tip makes me want to invest in some.. But first, I need to update my mini paints!
    Great jorb, Chris!

Blog Entries

Thanks Chrispy. The colour quality of the Copic ink is awesome. IRL this drawing has way brighter colours than the photo conveys! They are very bright and after you have layed flat colour down in several directions quickly and neatly it is possibly to get a strong even and vibrant colour. They are lovely which is just as well considered I blew over £500 on the two sets and the airbrush. The Copic marker pad takes the colour real nice to although the paper is very thin. Totally bleed proof. No colour has soaked through to next page yet even after heavy colouring. I tried them on thicker card and it went through a little bit on the heavier areas. They applied really well to the card to which was a shame as it was an actual xmas card lol. Wouldnt have mattered normally as you just place a sheet of marker paper underneath to prevent accidents!

I would say invest in some for definate. Maybe get a set of the greys and work in Black and white to see if you like them.

Thanks for the video link, appreciated as I was struggling for some reason to find a good tutorial beyond home users of the markers.

dfb

My Gallery Here

I don't think Tony Blair has ever looked so good, or conveyed a look of trustworthiness !
    Really nice work bud
    Wargames Terrain Workshop
    Home of High Quality Gaming boards, Scenery and Miniature Sculpting

Contact us @ wargamesterrainworkshop@yahoo.co.uk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wargamesculptor View Post
    I don't think Tony Blair has ever looked so good, or conveyed a look of trustworthiness !
    Really nice work bud
    Thanks mate! Hopefully I will have some actual proper art done with them to show you at the next local convention mate!! Take it easy, have a good xmas!

dfb

My Gallery Here

Quote Originally Posted by wargamesculptor View Post
    Yes we had such high hopes, dashed on the rocks of political double dealing and expediancy.
    Really nice work bud
    Yep good work.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

I look forward to it buddy, have a great Christmas

Blog Entries

Next up is a character I doodled "The Master". Done obviously in Copics on Morrisons glossy or silk photo paper. Can't remember which is a shame as the paper is very nice to work on. Used 4 colours for this one plus black and a spot of brown for the eyes. Marker was used straight down with no pencils, so again - made some mistakes!!! Will master this skill eventually I hope. Working with markers is very similiar in some ways to working in watercolours. But blending with markers can be very difficult and dependant totally on the paper. Colours are nice and vibrant on this photo paper and it was possible to blend. The paper I drew the Joker on was very thin, colours look great but no chance to blend on it very easily at all.

dfb

My Gallery Here

Great work DFB, interesting watching how you progress your style. Keep pushing those boundaries

Blog Entries

Next one up is an Uruk Hai. LOTR has been on a lot lately, so thought I'd do one. Obviously you can see a big fat mistake on the helmet crest there. But I carried on with it. The object of my quick fire marker work is to be able to get lines straight down, I messed up here obviously. But it is an exercise so I'm not worried. In the real world, everyone gets pencils down first, then line then colour. Getting marker lines down and looking good is just something I want to do.

dfb

My Gallery Here

Blog Entries

Here is the start of a character from The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe - Maugrim, Chief of the Secret Police. Long live the queen!

Wanted to go for a more wolf/human look as I don't like the idea of him just being a plain and simple wolf. A little boring. So anyway, here's the head. Might get around one day to a complete piece. But my current learning process is concentrating on portraits. I have a lot of drawing practice to do before doing full figure work to be honest.

This one is going to be scanned and tweaked on my Cintiq when I have finished it to lighten the skin tones, play with the highlights etc.

dfb

My Gallery Here

Looking good DFB, keep pushing on mate !

Blog Entries

Thanks mate.

Some more progress on Maugrim.....

dfb

My Gallery Here

That eye you've done really draws you in ! stunning progress mate

Blog Entries

Here is Maugrim all finished. Made a few final adjustments with white pen, but this shows off the finished piece well enough. When i get an A3 scanner I will take it digital and do some further adjustments I think.

dfb

My Gallery Here

Looking great bud, especially like how you've made some of the areas look wet

Very nice
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Blog Entries

Thanks guys. It has had some white highlights added here and there after this photo using one of those gel pens. So it looks a little better irl. But pleased with how it turned out. Got to think what to do next now!! I spent a bomb on these bastard markers. I will be damned and burnt alive if I ain't gonna use them!

dfb

My Gallery Here

Blog Entries

Got quite a few more little ACEO art sized (2.5"X3.5") pieces done of late. My copics and pencils have been my only art items at my house for a few months now, so this is what I have mainly been doing.

I have recently developed an interest in 2000AD again, so I figured I'd do some of my favourite characters as practice work. I am working on a six card series of Slaine at the moment. Here is one of them, Cathbad - Slaines druid. Also a few others, Voldemort, Dredd, a version of my watercolour Frankensteins monster and a Leprechaun I did around ST Patricks day.

dfbName:  Cathbad.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  88.1 KBName:  Judge Dredd Sketchcard.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  82.0 KBName:  Mr Stein.jpg
Size:  80.4 KBName:  Voldemort.jpg
Size:  66.5 KBName:  leprechaun.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  137.1 KB

My Gallery Here

Some nice work there mate ! Looking forward to seeing your other Slaine cards