Let's see your display cabinet!

Thread: Let's see your display cabinet!

Blog Entries

Default Let's see your display cabinet!

I am in the market for a display cabinet. I think I only have about 10 minis to show, for now, but I think it is time. What do folks have that they like? I need something I can lock. Wall mounted would be cool.

I also really want to see what folks have on display at their house. How about some pics?

Bugger! That means I'll have to dust it.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Well just to dust that is more then I can say, I dont have a display cabinet yet Someday perhaps given time. Demi good luck in finding something that is good for you and your figures.
    work is boring when it gets in the way of my painting.

what a coincidence. I just took a few pictures yesterday. I'll try to get them here today or tomorrow morning.

as for cabinet: it's not hanging on a wall and besides a magnet isn't really lockable, but here in the eu it's really loves: Detwolf from Ikea. Costs about 40 euro, has 4 levels to put minis on.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MAXXxxx View Post

as for cabinet: it's not hanging on a wall and besides a magnet isn't really lockable, but here in the eu it's really loves: Detwolf from Ikea. Costs about 40 euro, has 4 levels to put minis on.
    Yeah, I think Ikea will probably be the answer unless I can find some awesome antique somewhere.

Yeah. Ikea is great, also check out local cabinet makers as sometimes they have stock they want to clear and remember that glass companies will cut glass to your specs so you could replace the cabinet shelves with nice glass ones to allow more light in each level.
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

The first one is bigger.. and holding other stuff than minis ATM.. the other I just put in the corner. It's shelves are far apart, so thinking I can put in plexiglass to see everything.

Chrispy, if I'm not mistaken thats a lawyers bookcase, is it not?
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Hi,

as promised:

The normal display cabinet, that I got last year for a VERY good price (about 200 euro for the 2 parts (1 small, 1 large section)).
    Here only the small is visible, it's used for BFG fleets.
    Name:  Normal_01.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  143.2 KB

And the Ikea one (here there is an option for an overhead light, but I didn't want to use it, so the hole for that is closed up):
    Name:  Ikea_01.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  87.2 KB

some closeups can be seen at this link: https://picasaweb.google.com/maurern/2013DecCabinets

MAXXxxx - those look a lot like the one I got from Elly.
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460
    You are ranked 1351 out of 9441 artists.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    Chrispy, if I'm not mistaken thats a lawyers bookcase, is it not?
    Yep, we had the first in another room, then bought the second cheap at a yard sale. I'd really love an all glass one, but I don't have many to put in them ATM... Hoping to change that this next year.

I've been tempted to pick up one of those IKEA cases but nowhere to put it at the moment. I'll be moving in another 5-6 months, so maybe at our next place I'll find (or make) some room. For the most part I just have figures in domes and small table top display cases and display them here and there. We do have a couple display towers next to the TV that are becoming more and more figure display areas. No glass, just open shelves. My big issue is lighting. I've been too lazy so far, but I'd like to put in some display lighting. The towers aren't lit well enough so hard for people to appreciate the figures. If I want to show them to someone I find myself taking them out of their domes/cases and walking to an area with better lighting. Not the most efficient way to do it.

There was a post over on Massive Voodoo about sprucing up the IKEA cases:
    http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/20...my-detolf.html
    One quick note on those, if you get them make sure those cross bars are facing the inside of the case. You can assemble it either way but if they face the outside the shelves are not secure and can collapse. (MAXXxxx has done it the correct way)

Sorry I currently dont have a pic of it as of yet. But I use a baseball display case I mounted on the wall.
    It holds 12 baseballs. And individual minis fit in them nicely.
    Someday I am hoping to make each box a seperate diorama for each of them them.

Blog Entries

Cool, guys!

MAXXxxx, those fleets look awesome!

Bailey, I have thought about the glass domes but those get expensive pretty fast it seems. The link looks good though. Chrispy your cases look classy. If you could put in some interior lights i think those would be great. I am going to have to ask the guys at the game store what they use.

Quote Originally Posted by Demihuman View Post
    Bailey, I have thought about the glass domes but those get expensive pretty fast it seems.
    Yeah, they can be pricey. I've gotten some off ebay (came with the figures, score!) and "borrowed" a number from my dad's collection of stuff. You can often find them at Arts and Crafts stores like AC Moore or Michaels in the US. They give out coupons for 1/2 off a single item, just wait for one of those. The cases they have sports stuff works well for minis. I picked one up that came with a mirror in the back (it was square, not round of course) which is great for figures.

I used this as a one off for a gift for a friend. Got it for a steal at Micheal's with a coupon... Not ideal for a ton of minis but cool for one or two really special ones...

Name:  FinalDisplay.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  303.9 KB
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-cjqlKtfpE7...nalDisplay.jpg
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Top Shelf:

Third Shelf:

Bottom:

Of course the wife claimed the second shelf for her Precious Moments ><

And then there's my Shelf of Shame and unpainted storage:

Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460

Is anyone else as disturbed by the amputee anime chick on Trystan's as much as I am right now?
    It seems everyone else is going the glass route. I should put in lights, but that assumes I have people over to show them off. I was thinking about shelling out some money to get a small booth at the local Comic Con next year and maybe hawking some wares of mine- that would be a good excuse for a nice glass case as any.

Actually, I'm not as concerned about amputation as I am the "fan service". But since I didn't notice it to begin with...

Anyway, going a different direction. Oh, I've got the Ikea display case, with light, and I could show it. But, it ... well, hasn't changed much since last time. So, figured I show something I did for a laugh that I was, and I guess still will, post in my WIP thread.

Behold! A great way to display all those unused minis!

Sorry about the fuzzy second picture. Spinner was still spinning. The poor spinner has been sitting empty for quite some time. It's the wife's, and she uses it at craft shows. It's one of four, and hasn't been needed. Got the idea as I was taking pictures of my Christmas loot (Oh, is that what we're calling Black Friday sales now?) so I emptied my drawer of unpainted minis that were hangable. She got a laugh as I claimed I'd cleaned. And I did in a way. Empty drawer didn't stay empty very long.
    "Reality, she's a mathematical bitch from hell.", MaxedOutMama
    Wanna be bored? Watch me twitter. --<>-- Still have neurons? Watch my YouTube channel on painting!
    Want to know when to fry your neurons? My painting twitter will announce the videos.
    To judge how far to follow my advice, consider this: ---<>--- Slappin' paint on minis since 2006

She's not an amputee - those yellow what look like airplane parts go where her legs are. They go over her legs and allow her to fly.
    See: Strike Witches
    Proud owner of a Cassar!

#1378/9460