Does any miniature company use computer generated 3D models to fabricate a miniature?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does any miniature company use computer generated 3D models to fabricate a miniature?

Default Does any miniature company use computer generated 3D models to fabricate a miniature?

Hello All,

I was just wondering if any miniature company use computer generated 3D models to fabricate a miniature? If so who are they?

As far as I know, the Soda Pop minis for super dungeon explore were done 3d modeled. I've seen a few done for Reaper too- mostly I see a lot of Kickstarter projects doing their minis this way, because it must be less of a headache to deal with a master sculpt. I feel it's hit or miss, because what some digi-sculptors forget is that you can have a perfect likeness and anatomy on the screen, and it's a far cry from 3d printed when it's an inch.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
    As far as I know, the Soda Pop minis for super dungeon explore were done 3d modeled. I've seen a few done for Reaper too- mostly I see a lot of Kickstarter projects doing their minis this way, because it must be less of a headache to deal with a master sculpt. I feel it's hit or miss, because what some digi-sculptors forget is that you can have a perfect likeness and anatomy on the screen, and it's a far cry from 3d printed when it's an inch.
    Thanks for the reply. I will have to check them out. I am familiar with Reaper, but Soda Pop is new to me. Thanks for the heads up.

Blog Entries

Kingdom death, scale75, the world of for-ha, hangar18 pinups etc etc. the list is very long and getting longer. 3D sculpting can be more expensive than traditional sculpting but you can get a perfect figure that is easier to tweak than a putty master. As more people start 3d computer sculpting the price will come down with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Milosh View Post
    Kingdom death, scale75, the world of for-ha, hangar18 pinups etc etc. the list is very long and getting longer. 3D sculpting can be more expensive than traditional sculpting but you can get a perfect figure that is easier to tweak than a putty master. As more people start 3d computer sculpting the price will come down with it.
    Milosh, thanks for the info. I have a degree in game art and have sculpted some miniatures for board game prototypes so I am interested to learn as much about the companies producing with computer generated sculpts. I have a great respect for the traditional sculptors but that is out of my league.

Raging Heroes are another company that use 3d sculpting. If you have a look around there website they have quite a few examples the sculpts and the 3D printed minis.

Quote Originally Posted by boardandy View Post
    Raging Heroes are another company that use 3d sculpting. If you have a look around there website they have quite a few examples the sculpts and the 3D printed minis.

Wow that sculpt looks awesome!

I dont like the 3d sculpting, becouse too easy make a perfect mini. I think many people use zbrush to this.

Yes, because making something easier, more accessible, and allowing more talent to enter a market is so bad..right?

...oh wait...?

I thought I'd heard Games Workshop used 3-D sculpting, though I don't know it for a fact... but it would make sense, especially with their new kits that use the same parts for multiple types of figures. As others have said, Kingdom Death, Raging Heroes, and many other companies use 3-D sculpting. I'm guessing most of the big miniature game companies use 3-D sculpting at least some and will be using it more and more in the near future.

GeeDub defo use 3d mastering for their plastics. Wyrd have also switched to 3d design for their Malifaux range. Seems to be the way these things are done nowadays...
    "Facts are the impregnable bulwark that stands between us and the insidious evil of bullsh*t." - Pikey, over on Nagoyahammer

There are plenty of 3d sculpted KS's that did NOT get funded, pretty much because while the sculpted details were good, overall the mini was uninteresting. Example: a Barmaid from the Failed G.O.B.L.I.N line:

ALL of their mock-ups were like this.. No movement or dynamic elements, very boring poses. So, just because the technology is good it won't make people an instant miniature maker.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
    There are plenty of 3d sculpted KS's that did NOT get funded, pretty much because while the sculpted details were good, overall the mini was uninteresting. Example: a Barmaid from the Failed G.O.B.L.I.N line:

ALL of their mock-ups were like this.. No movement or dynamic elements, very boring poses. So, just because the technology is good it won't make people an instant miniature maker.
    I can agree with that. Boring poses can kill a mini quickly. The same can be said for 2d art. Static or unnatural poses can be the death of a composition.

I think art in 3d is great. But in sculpting i think more harder to make a mini in green stuff or something. When an artist work, the hard thing is the time. And there is no undo, copy, mirror, save and zoom.

Quote Originally Posted by Rothskin View Post
    I think art in 3d is great. But in sculpting i think more harder to make a mini in green stuff or something. When an artist work, the hard thing is the time. And there is no undo, copy, mirror, save and zoom.
    That's what I've been saying! Also, in the book Pop Sculpture the author Tim Bruckner makes the point that the computer generated light isn't the same as natural lighting. I always say, learn the hard way first, then see if digital is right for you.

And chrispy, in zbrush if you do the modell, you can move easy the body parts. Ore just seek the good modell in the internet, and you can do the armour or something. And you finish, you can sell it. This is not an attack for the professional artists, just i wanna see real miniatures.

Using a computer is just another tool like using putty and carving knives. Just because a artist chooses to use one medium versus the other does not mean that one is right and one is wrong, or that one is superior and the other inferior. There are plenty of artist who cannot sculpt well with green stuff and putty, while others do well. Just like there are plenty of artists who cannot sculpt in zbrush while others do well. I think it comes down to personal preference.

All in All its the end product that counts.

Personally I don't care what the origin is as long as the model appeals, works and has painter attraction.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Mierce Miniatures will turn to some 3d-sculpting, too, as doing snake-men can be quite tedious with traditional sculpting (all the scales, etc.). I think that within a year, or maybe two, the majority of the sculpting will be done in 3d, especially seeing how 3d-printing is also getting cheaper and with greater quality. 3d-sculpting hasn't reached the peak of its performance, and the development of new software etc. will just make it even more attractive in the future. It is also easier to do 3d-sculpting compared with traditional sculpting, as it quite effortlessly allows for changes and alterations and tweaks, and so on. I only see it progress to the benefit of everyone.

I remember reading a long time ago in a White Dwarf an article about skaven been 3d modeled so I'm sure a lot of GW plastics are now 3D rendered. A vast majority of Mantic's Deadzone are also 3D rendered, and 3D printed.....the latest AVP were also 3D scultped.....this will become the norm in the future.