Green Knight - armour advice
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Green Knight - armour advice

  1. #1

    Default Green Knight - armour advice

    Hello,

    My next project will be GW Green Knight. I want his plate armour to be green but also look metallic, my best solution so far has been a 50/50 mix of leadbelcher and deathwold night shade, this had given me a pale green metallic look. Before I go ahead and start I was wondering if any of you guys have any suggestions of getting a green metallic armour look.

    Thanks for reading.

  2. #2

    Default

    Painting colored metal is pretty much up to washes and glazes for contrast if you're going the TMM route. But nothing says you can't mix metallic paint and your opaque greens!
    I assume you kinda want something like this?


    Or do you want something more flashy? Like so:

  3. #3

    Default

    Wow that's a little too metallic! I want the armour to look like green plate mail and not just green.

  4. #4

    Default

    Yeah it really depends on how flashy you want to go. Ghost tints over metallics, or createx pearl coats and candy coats or you can try what I did with my Alpha Legion mini for a simpler approach. I got kind of a blue beetle look to it but you could do that with green easily.
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

    Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

  5. #5

    Default

    Sorry I just re-read the post the first picture isn't showing

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zab View Post
    Yeah it really depends on how flashy you want to go. Ghost tints over metallics, or createx pearl coats and candy coats or you can try what I did with my Alpha Legion mini for a simpler approach. I got kind of a blue beetle look to it but you could do that with green easily.
    Cool glaze, which month was your blog post on how you did it?

  7. #7
    Superfreak!!! Dragonsreach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Bolton, Lancs, UK (A Geordie in Exile)
    Posts
    17,303
    Rep Power
    38

    Default

    Vallejo Airbrush Silver then Dilute washes of Tamiya Clear green?
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    Vallejo Airbrush Silver then Dilute washes of Tamiya Clear green?
    I'll test that thank you. I might have to change the base as I don't have an airbrush....yet!

  9. #9
    Superfreak!!! Dragonsreach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Bolton, Lancs, UK (A Geordie in Exile)
    Posts
    17,303
    Rep Power
    38

    Default

    Airbrush isn't needed Vallejo Airbrush paints work just as well with a Sable.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

  10. #10

    Default

    Here ya go.
    http://almostperftec.blogspot.ca/201...on-and-dv.html
    It was all done with brushes and citadel paints. Although, DR's clear green idea is a great one. You could just paint on any silver in very thin coats to keep it smooth and then glaze with clear green, no AB needed.
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

    Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zab View Post
    Here ya go.
    http://almostperftec.blogspot.ca/201...on-and-dv.html
    It was all done with brushes and citadel paints. Although, DR's clear green idea is a great one. You could just paint on any silver in very thin coats to keep it smooth and then glaze with clear green, no AB needed.
    Thank you, this will be very helpful

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    Airbrush isn't needed Vallejo Airbrush paints work just as well with a Sable.
    ahhh I didn't know that!

  13. #13
    Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    sunny orlando
    Posts
    7,634
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Reaper has a Emerald Green that is Pearlescent. Part number 09103.

    Inks can be mixed with silver paints (of the lines I've tried) as well as green paints mixed with metallic paints.

    Looking around at the Space Marines and thinking of enameled armor, that would not be a metallic look, but a gloss enamel applied to a metal - unless you are thinking of some weird metal that is actually green (not copper oxide).

    The enamels could be duplicated in mini with hard highlights and shadows on whatever green mid-tone you like.
    My Favorites
    I'm at and falling.
    si vis pacem, para bellum

    This post has been made with 100% recycled electrons.

  14. #14
    Superfreak!!! Dragonsreach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Bolton, Lancs, UK (A Geordie in Exile)
    Posts
    17,303
    Rep Power
    38

    Default

    Apologies if my answers looked a little terse yesterday.
    I was using my phone in a coffee shop while waiting for Fran and fat old fingers and small keyboards don't mix.

    As others have said there are so many options about toning metallic paints that you'll get a lot of answers, but the primary question should be is the effect you want High Gloss or Muted Matt?
    For High gloss I'd go the Tamiya route (or Vallejo Transparent Green) over the silver, the muted metallic look I'd be going for glazes of green paint. (Bearing in mind I mostly use Vallejo Model Colours now I'd be tempted to use the three Olive tones to develop the Green tone.)
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    Apologies if my answers looked a little terse yesterday.
    I was using my phone in a coffee shop while waiting for Fran and fat old fingers and small keyboards don't mix.

    As others have said there are so many options about toning metallic paints that you'll get a lot of answers, but the primary question should be is the effect you want High Gloss or Muted Matt?
    For High gloss I'd go the Tamiya route (or Vallejo Transparent Green) over the silver, the muted metallic look I'd be going for glazes of green paint. (Bearing in mind I mostly use Vallejo Model Colours now I'd be tempted to use the three Olive tones to develop the Green tone.)
    i'll be trying to achieve a muted matt look. I want the armour to look functional and green, to me that means matt. I'm really looking forward to starting this as it's my first major mini in around 10 years, I'm not looking forward to the free hand scroll work

  16. #16

    Default

    Name:  DSC_0722.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  659.9 KB
    The end result if anyone way interested!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Privacy Policy  |   Terms and Conditions  |   Contact Us  |   The Legion


Copyright © 2001-2018 CMON Inc.

-->