thinned vallejos in the airbrush come out runny

Thread: thinned vallejos in the airbrush come out runny

Default thinned vallejos in the airbrush come out runny

Im trying to learn to airbrush acrylics and Im having a tough time getting the hang of it. Im using a master series g22 brush and a compressor/tank of theirs. I get alot of clogging or runny paints and havent been able to find the right consistency yet and it eating alot of time. Any help would be appreciated. Currently Im trying to thin with liquitex airbrush medium 1:1.

are the colors from the game color line?

because my experience was, that thinning VGC with thinners from other companies didn't really help them and the AB almost always clogged. Some Solutions I had for that:
    - thinning with Vallejo thinner for AB
    - using a nozzle 0.3mm, not smaller (and for VGC metallics even the 0.3 clogs too often)
    - use higher pressure (it helps against clogging, but makes control harder)

but sadly the best solution for me was: forget VGC in an airbrush and use either VMC/VAC colors or colors from other companies (tried: P3, GW, Tamiya, Rackham, GoldenAcrilycs, all were good), as they thin pretty good even with water without clogging, and somehow I always get more even layers with those.

If you're thinning the paint inside the airbrush, you're doomed. I've found no matter what you put in before, or how much you try and mix, a blob of undiluted paint sinks to the bottom and clogs everything up. Best to invest in a bunch of plastic cups like they use for medicine.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
    If you're thinning the paint inside the airbrush, you're doomed. I've found no matter what you put in before, or how much you try and mix, a blob of undiluted paint sinks to the bottom and clogs everything up. Best to invest in a bunch of plastic cups like they use for medicine.
    ^ This.

Get some medium/large tattoo plastic ink pots (disposable) to mix in. I also tend to cut a piece of brewers gauze/muslin, pop it onto the cup and filter the paint through to pull out any lumps of paint, this gets binned before I start airbrushing.

Also thin to the consistency of semi-skimmed milk. Don't try and have a "magic ratio" as it won't ever work for all your paints.

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

What everyone has said - ditto.
    If you're mixing in the gun, quit.

A couple of pics of your issues may help.

You can be too close or have the air up too high or the paint too thin - generally causes spiders.
    You can be pulling back too much and putting on too much paint - generally causes orange peel.
    You can have the air too low or paint too thick - causes spatters and sputters - this sounds like it may be your problem.
    You can have inconsistent media (paint, thinner, etc.) - this causes every nightmare you can think of - thick globs react like air too low - thin stuff causes spiders and runs.
    My Favorites
    I'm at and falling.
    si vis pacem, para bellum

This post has been made with 100% recycled electrons.

Quote Originally Posted by RuneBrush View Post
    Also thin to the consistency of semi-skimmed milk. Don't try and have a "magic ratio" as it won't ever work for all your paints.
    I'd recommend playing with a table spoon of real milk on a plate. I thought I was thinning to a milk thickness, but I wasn't. I thought just because I poured milk on my cheerios ever day, I knew what it would be like to manipulate milk with a brush, eye dropper, or pallet, but it turns out milk is runnier than I thought. Actually playing with milk helped. I wouldn't try it with a good brush, for fear of stale milk stink on my best brush.

Quote Originally Posted by mjs101 View Post
    I'd recommend playing with a table spoon of real milk on a plate. I thought I was thinning to a milk thickness, but I wasn't. I thought just because I poured milk on my cheerios ever day, I knew what it would be like to manipulate milk with a brush, eye dropper, or pallet, but it turns out milk is runnier than I thought. Actually playing with milk helped. I wouldn't try it with a good brush, for fear of stale milk stink on my best brush.
    This made me smile.

I just started using a double action air brush for minis in the ladt couple weeks---yup, mixing in the brush cup is a big fail. Vmc black created a lot of tip dry/clog that i did not see with air brush paints at a similar consistency. Used VGC ghost grey or a zenithal effect and apparently ad it too thin as i had a lot ospidering and running.

No doubt it is going to take some practice, but i see the AB being a very useful tool. And i am glad i am trying this on a larger test mini. Lol

Pick up some Model Air, its designed to be shot directly with minimal thining so it will give you an idea of what a thinned AB paint looks like

Blog Entries

I mix straight in the cup and use a paint brush to stir it, once it is a little smooth I plug the end of the AB tip with my finger and force air into the cup to mix it completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Milosh View Post
    I mix straight in the cup and use a paint brush to stir it, once it is a little smooth I plug the end of the AB tip with my finger and force air into the cup to mix it completely.
    Ive been doing this in my master and have had nothing but problems, tried mixing out of cup, or using VMA and all the problems went away.

If it works for you then fair enough, but doing that will eventually push paint up into the body of the airbrush. Either that or shoot paint out of the cup

This depends on the nozzle size you are using. You'll get away with it on the larger sizes I suspect but at 0.2mm it will clog. At least in my experience it does.

And that is why I had to repaint the ceiling.
    My Favorites
    I'm at and falling.

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat85 View Post
    Pick up some Model Air, its designed to be shot directly with minimal thining so it will give you an idea of what a thinned AB paint looks like
    Createx is too. But it is designed to be shot at least 45 psi. Much too thick for what we do. Great for t-shirts.
    My Favorites
    I'm at and falling.