Warped tiles... - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Warped tiles...

Mine are warped pretty badly, have them under text books for 30+ hours now and they return to warping after a couple minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Grims View Post
    Mine are warped pretty badly, have them under text books for 30+ hours now and they return to warping after a couple minutes.
    Mine took about 5 days, and I'm still not sure they are completely flat.

You can also just open the side of the shrink wrap, and let them acclimatize that way. This is what I've done with mine, and the smell is subsiding, and no sign of warping yet.

As far as my experience goes, all tiles made in China smell strongly of glue, and warp. It's not CMON's fault, it's the manufacturers. It happens with some FFG boards and tiles as well, although they have been getting better with the past few releases.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghool View Post
    You can also just open the side of the shrink wrap, and let them acclimatize that way. This is what I've done with mine, and the smell is subsiding, and no sign of warping yet.

As far as my experience goes, all tiles made in China smell strongly of glue, and warp. It's not CMON's fault, it's the manufacturers. It happens with some FFG boards and tiles as well, although they have been getting better with the past few releases.
    Sooo basically the only really good game boards come out of Germany?

I boiled water on the stove for an hour and bent my warped minis back to their original glory before I opened my tiles. I even cut slits in the shrinkwrap 3 days prior to unwrapping.. opened them and left the water boiling and after 2 hours (and a lot of condensation on my windows..) they warped. I just gingerly bent them back because ive found that laying under books doesn't put enough force to bend back... so a thumb in the center of the board while I hold it and just bend until flat works the best...
    Rando Commando

Quote Originally Posted by Ghool View Post

I have a lot of board games, and the only tiles I've ever had warp, are these, my Sedition Wars tiles, and some of my Zombicide Season 2 tiles. There is one common denominator in that equasion.

well, left them pressed under weight for 3 days, and removed them last night for a round of play. they remained somewhat flat, though did start lifting at the corners by the end of the night. i put them back under a pile of weight, will check them in a few days.

Mine haven't warped at all. Right after taking them out of the packaging, I placed them under soemthing heavy and they acclimated. If they are out a long time, and your house is dry or humid and not at an average temp, this happens. However, they do flatten themselves out when the weather is right. Like how in the summer, on a really humid Minnesota day, my Catan border board will warp. Or how my Super Dungeon Explore tiles warp in the winter only, but then I'll pull them out in the spring, and bang, they are flattened again on their own, without weight.

Joshuar: What games do you have with the big Zombicide sized tiles that aren't CMON? The only other one I can think of is Dust, and they warped every once in a while also. FFG only knew better because they reside in MN where the seasons are...intense.

Anyway, like I said, this isn't something to get upset about when the weather is as odd as it is this year. The tiles getting "rushed" has nothing to do with it, as they obviously weren't if you paid attention to their video and constant statements. If you look at the science (I feel goofy calling it that as it is simply common sense) behind water/condensation/saturation and paper product...of any kind, you'll see that this isn't out of a norm, and that this is the way it is. This isn't something you can change unless you can find a way for the manufacturer to suck them dry, and package them in a way condensation can't get into a board, which could only be done, possibly, by sealing the sides of all tiles, which isnt' realistic.

i'm going to try a grip mat under my tiles for the next game, might help keep things in place & negate the warped tiles.

Quote Originally Posted by Forceman4077 View Post
    Sooo basically the only really good game boards come out of Germany?

Most of the time, yes. :P

Quote Originally Posted by joshuar56 View Post
    I have a lot of board games, and the only tiles I've ever had warp, are these, my Sedition Wars tiles, and some of my Zombicide Season 2 tiles. There is one common denominator in that equasion.
    I have over 200 board games and expansions (not trying to compete here, just providing perspective), and almost every single board or tile that was made in China has warped. There are some exceptions, and in most cases, it's when a board game uses tiles, and not actual boards. I've had a few boards warp, but the main culprit is almost always games that use tiles like CMoN is using; thick, layered cardboard with the edges being open to the air. Even my Space Hulk tiles made crazy pretzel shapes despite the thickness, or having them under books.

My guess that this problem is so prevalent in games that use tiles is the following:

A good example of 'proper' tiles for use in a board game is Wiz-War - the tiles are covered in the usual canvas texture finish. But, the difference is that the printed side is wrapped around all the edges, preventing the cardboard inside from drying out. This is the only game I have that uses tiles for the board that have not warped. This is what CMoN needs to start implementing with their tiles - wrap the inked paper all the way around the tile, effectively 'sealing' the glued and layered cardboard from changes in humidity.

The cause of such warping could also simply be due to the tile thickness - again with Wiz-War, the tiles aren't 1/4" thick. They are about the same thickness as a regular game board (1/8" I think?). Perhaps thinner tiles will be less subject to warping? With less material to absorb and lose humidity, it might be a possible solution to investigate. It would seem worthwhile to look into, as the thinner boards and tiles from games like Descent have not warped at all, and yet my super-thick Space Hulk tiles, Zombicide and Rivet Wars tiles have.

Winters here are really dry, with the weather flipping from the plusses, to severe minuses, often times day to day, and even during the same day. So, it's not uncommon for just about any tile-based board game tiles to warp on me.
    Last edited by Ghool; 01-13-2014 at 07:54 PM.

I've always had good results with my Dust Tactics tiles that are made in China, but my Rivet Wars tiles aren't warped either, so maybe I have a lucky climate

Think you have hit the nail on the head there Ghool, you never get a proper board game warp, just these tiles and the open edges to seem to be a common denominator.

Although I've not received my RW yet (*grumblegrumble*), China has it's own paper/card production facilities and is working on producing it's own wood for pulping too. What Ghool says is quite interesting and it might be that something is different with China produced card stock which can cause warping.

Quote Originally Posted by RuneBrush View Post
    ... and it might be that something is different with China produced card stock which can cause warping.
    That I totally agree. None of the tiles from Dust Premium has ever wrapped. I had them since the game came out. They were sent directly from China or HK where humidity is much higher. Not so with those from Space Hulk and acclimatization does not help. For comparison, back in the old days, wrapping was never an issue. I still have tiles for Legions of Steel back in the early 1990's. They remain the most flat.

Had mine under heavy weights, at least 50+ lbs, for a week straight and they started to warp within minutes :/

Quote Originally Posted by Forceman4077 View Post
    Had mine under heavy weights, at least 50+ lbs, for a week straight and they started to warp within minutes :/
    Yikes! I was *finally* going to play the game this weekend, after putting them under weights as soon as I opened the package (since that's what we've been instructed to do....) I'll have to see how they hold up.
    The Pirate Deck - Now on Kickstarter
    http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardga...he-pirate-deck

Honestly guys, the game is still playable even if the tiles warp up a centimeter or two. Ideal? No. Playable? Yeah. It's not like it's keeping you from playing a very fun game.

Quote Originally Posted by Tauwolf View Post
    the game is still playable even if the tiles warp up a centimeter or two.
    Isn't that what Plexiglas is for? I even use a piece of it on games that don't have warped tiles. It just adds a little extra protection to the boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Tauwolf View Post
    Honestly guys, the game is still playable even if the tiles warp up a centimeter or two. Ideal? No. Playable? Yeah. It's not like it's keeping you from playing a very fun game.
    Still playable (unless it really is a 2cm warp) but it knocks some of the fun out of the game when you have to continually put them back into place after spinning with the slightest touch.

Quote Originally Posted by biomage View Post
    Isn't that what Plexiglas is for? I even use a piece of it on games that don't have warped tiles. It just adds a little extra protection to the boards.
    That's ridiculous. A board game should be playable our of the box without investing in stuff like plexiglass. Even less so when it's a production problem.