Gaining Victory Points
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Gaining Victory Points

  1. #1

    Default Gaining Victory Points

    I may have missed this answer in the threads, but it seems to me that the only way in some missions for gaining victory points is to capture strategic positions, but there are only 2 or 3 strategic positions. Do you just gain victory points by stealing them back and forth?

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by donnbobhardy View Post
    I may have missed this answer in the threads, but it seems to me that the only way in some missions for gaining victory points is to capture strategic positions, but there are only 2 or 3 strategic positions. Do you just gain victory points by stealing them back and forth?
    You gain victory points at the end of each turn you hold an objective or objectives.
    It is my understanding that after you hold an objective you simply place a flag on it and you can then "hold" it regardless of if you have a unit there or not as long as your flag token is on the grid. The flag remains until an enemy unit moves into the grid.
    Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong.

  3. #3

    Default

    Read the rules page 13, if you capture it, next turn you control it, and if you keep it until your next turn , you score another point

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grims View Post
    Read the rules page 13, if you capture it, next turn you control it, and if you keep it until your next turn , you score another point
    Does that mean that you must hold an objective for an entire round to score points? That would make games take for ev er.
    I think you score points when you seize it and when your flag is in the grid.

  5. #5

    Default

    You gain Vp's for each Objective you hold at the end of a Turn.

    If you Hold an objective at the start of your Turn, you can place a controlled token on it and it counts as a VP at the end pf your Turn, even if you have no units on it.

    For the opponent to take away the token, they simply have to capture the Objective (move a unit onto it).

  6. #6

    Default

    So, you do get points the turn you seize the objective. At the start of your next turn, you may then place a flag on it?

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnb138 View Post
    So, you do get points the turn you seize the objective. At the start of your next turn, you may then place a flag on it?
    Did you read page 13 ?

  8. #8

    Default

    Yes I read it and it is as clear as mud. I'd like for an admin to clarify this.

  9. #9

    Default

    @BigJohn - If you have a unit on a strategic objective it is captured. At the end of your turn you get 1VP for each captured objective. Also, if you have a unit on an objective at the start of your turn you "control" it. That just means you can put a flag down on it and during the move phase, move any units that were on the objective. But you still get 1VP at the end of the turn for the objectives with flags on them. Hope that clears it up.

  10. #10

    Default

    Thank you Ted. Just one more question. Do the flags stay out until the enemy captures the objective or do they get picked up at some point?

  11. #11

    Default

    They stick around until the enemy captures the objective. They just need to have a unit on the objective at the end of their turn. Then the flag is removed and you must take that hill back! We just wanted a mechanic that would free up units after an objective had been taken.

  12. #12

    Default

    I think I had floated around an idea early in the KS campaign to get a 3d flag to make capture-the-flag scenarios more visually interesting, rather than a plastic token flag. Did that idea go anywhere?
    The Pirate Deck - Now on Kickstarter
    http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardga...he-pirate-deck

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Terranova View Post
    They stick around until the enemy captures the objective. They just need to have a unit on the objective at the end of their turn. Then the flag is removed and you must take that hill back! We just wanted a mechanic that would free up units after an objective had been taken.
    Thank you Ted. That's how we have been playing it. It's a great mechanic that makes for very fast gameplay. My son is autistic with ADD and he adores this game because of the speed at which it plays. Thank you for giving us this.

  14. #14

    Default

    Ted and co., I'd nominate this one to be included in the FAQ, as I found the rule very confusing too. After my wife and I each read page 13 a couple times, we sort of threw up our hands and decided that an objective could only be controlled for a single turn if left unoccupied (based on the logic that it's only "controlled" if there's a unit on it at the beginning of the turn - we couldn't find a statement that control persisted for additional turns).

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Terranova View Post
    Also, if you have a unit on an objective at the start of your turn you "control" it. That just means you can put a flag down on it and during the move phase, move any units that were on the objective.
    In scenarios where one side starts with units in Strategic Objectives, and the side can gain VP from SO, can a flag be planted on the first turn?

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WTFGamer View Post
    In scenarios where one side starts with units in Strategic Objectives, and the side can gain VP from SO, can a flag be planted on the first turn?
    Technically not, since you need to have a unit on the SO at the "beginning of your turn" in order to place a flag there. You would not have deployed any units yet at the beginning of your turn, so...

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loophole Master View Post
    Technically not, since you need to have a unit on the SO at the "beginning of your turn" in order to place a flag there. You would not have deployed any units yet at the beginning of your turn, so...
    Scenario 2 states that the Allied player starts the game with 1 infantry unit in each SO. I think that the question was pertaining to raising a flag on turn one if this is the case?

  18. #18

    Default

    Yeah, in that particular case, I suppose so.

  19. #19

    Default

    If you have infantry on an objective at the end of your turn, you capture it and score a VP; assuming they survive your opponents turn, they are then free to move off in your next turn. Put the flag on it to indicate it's still in your control, and you will still score a VP for it at the end of your turn even without moving other infantry onto it - which distinguishes it from an empty objective that hasn't been captured yet by either side. Once your opponent ends a turn with infantry on it, he scores a VP for it, takes down your flag, and can then place a flag himself in subsequent turns. You can of course place flags on objectives that you have infantry staying on (say your capturing infantry survive and stay put), but unless there's specific bits in the scenario about it, not worth the effort as the infantry themselves show you have control.

    Quote Originally Posted by WTFGamer View Post
    In scenarios where one side starts with units in Strategic Objectives, and the side can gain VP from SO, can a flag be planted on the first turn?
    Would make sense in scenario 2 for example; the game starts with your infantry already on the objective, so at the start of your turn, you already have infantry in place and can place a flag and move away. In scenario 2 allies always start first, but if you were doing normal order and say the blight started first, it'd be obvious that start of turn is separate from start of game and control rule applies. It's not an issue in scenario 6, as allies can't score VP by capturing objectives. In scenario 9, troops parachute in at the beginning of your turn; even if one landed on an unoccupied objective it wouldn't be right at the start of your turn
    so I'd say it wouldn't count, and you'd have to stay in place until the end of turn to capture.

    All in my opinion, of course!

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erniehacks View Post
    Ted and co., I'd nominate this one to be included in the FAQ, as I found the rule very confusing too. After my wife and I each read page 13 a couple times, we sort of threw up our hands and decided that an objective could only be controlled for a single turn if left unoccupied (based on the logic that it's only "controlled" if there's a unit on it at the beginning of the turn - we couldn't find a statement that control persisted for additional turns).
    There's also no mechanism for flags to be removed, except when the point is captured by the other side. You need units on the objective at start of turn to start controlling it (raising a flag). 'As long as you control it' and 'to take a controlled objective' reads to me that flags stay indefinitely - and you get 1VP for the capture at end of your every turn - until the enemy ends a turn with infantry on it, gets the capture point, and removes your flag as stated. As ted said
    Last edited by arkhanist; 01-21-2014 at 03:09 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Privacy Policy  |   Terms and Conditions  |   Contact Us  |   The Legion


Copyright © 2001-2018 CMON Inc.

-->