Sturmpanzer + Der Cyclops question

Thread: Sturmpanzer + Der Cyclops question

Default Sturmpanzer + Der Cyclops question

I just played the first 2 scenarios today with my nephew, myself as the Blight and he as the Allied. I deployed the Sturmpanzer with the Cyclops and when it came to combat, we were both stumped on how to play it. Now the Plug rule states:
    "Plugs: Plugs are add-ons to other units, granting them powerful abilities or weapons. When a plug is deployed it is placed in any available socket belonging to a unit in your territory. The unit the plug is socketed into gains all the abilities and weapons listed on the plug unit. The plug is considered part of the attached unit, activating and being destroyed with it."

Does this mean that the stats get combined giving the Sturmpanzer 4 attacks, Range 5 and 4 dice against Armor 1 enemies or is it separate in those terms meaning that the Cyclops and Sturmpanzer attack separately? I tried it the first way and basically annihilated all of his units but 1 rifleman who was too far away to feel ZE WRATH!! I cried laughing but also felt bad because it seemed crazy overpowered so I just played them as separate attacks. If that's the way it's played then hey that's war lol I've tried looking around the forums for an answer and haven't found one or might've over-looked it.

I came to understand it as the latter option you suggested. So Der Cyclops is another unit attacking from the same square, with its own attack stats, but obviously has to move wherever the Sturmpanzer goes. So Panzer has a range of 2 on its 2 attacks (of 1,3,3,2, and 0), and then separately Der Cyclops has 2 range 3 attacks of 3 dice against infantry.
    Last edited by Cowboyjebus; 01-07-2014 at 08:56 PM.

To add on to this:

If a Sturmpanzer Dashes, does the Cyclops still get to attack ?

They are treated as diffrent units as you can see in the December gameplay vide ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2USlwwP5FK8#t=966 at around 16:06) . "The unit the plug is socketed into gains all the abilities and weapons listed on the plug unit" is meant more for to describe how hero plugs affect the unit they are attacted to.

My interpretation was yes. Technically, Der Cyclops is a separate unit, so when Sturmpanzer performs Dash, Der Cyclops still gets to shoot.

Now a question I had was about stacking General Patston on the Ostrich. I get that Patston will up the Ostrich's move from 2 to 3, but does the additional tank shock mean that instead of rolling just 1 die once, you would essentially get a second roll on your Tank Shock? So 2 rolls of 1 die, not 1 roll of 2 dice right?

Basically the Sturmpanzer with Der Cyclops becomes similar to the standard MT-1 Ostrich, which has two attack lines. When it attacks it can do so twice with its normal weapon and twice with the Der Cyclops cannon. They each have their own attack value and ranges.

Saying that the vehicle and its turret are different units is a bit misleading, as the rulebook says: "The plug is considered part of the attached unit". They move together, attack together, die together, and yes, if the Sturmpanzer Dashes, it does not perform an attack, with any of its weapons including the Der Cyclops.
    Last edited by Loophole Master; 01-07-2014 at 09:06 PM.

@Cowboy It adds to the number of dice you roll, so roll 2 die against each inf in the targeted square instead of just one. Although rerolling one die vs rolling two is effectivly the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboyjebus View Post
    Now a question I had was about stacking General Patston on the Ostrich. I get that Patston will up the Ostrich's move from 2 to 3, but does the additional tank shock mean that instead of rolling just 1 die once, you would essentially get a second roll on your Tank Shock? So 2 rolls of 1 die, not 1 roll of 2 dice right?
    Actually, it would be just one Tank Shock attack, rolling 2 dice.

Forceman, rolling 1 die twice wouldn't be the same thing, cause it would make it possible for you to score two damages against a single unit (which would only really be useful if one of the infantry heroes was among the targets).
    Last edited by Loophole Master; 01-07-2014 at 09:13 PM.

Cool that's what I kind of figured after the slaughter of range 5 and 4 attacks thanks for clarifying it all up, it felt broken combining stats the first time but very soul-crushingly delightful at the same time lol

Quote Originally Posted by Loophole Master View Post
    Actually, it would be just one Tank Shock attack, rolling 2 dice.

Forceman, rolling 1 die twice wouldn't be the same thing, cause it would make it possible for you to score two damages against a single unit (which would only really be useful if one of the infantry heroes was among the targets).
    But you're rolling 2 dice per unit, so rolling the 2 die one at a time or together makes no difference.

@Forceman No, it makes a difference. If you roll 2 dice at once, and both are successful, you only deal one damage. If you roll 1 die, and then another, and they're both successes, you deal 2 damage. Pretty small difference, but it's there

Adding a plug simply just adds a weapon line or ability to the vehicle nothing more.

I guess maybe I'm just interpreting all of the info on plugs a little bit differently. I understand that plugs activate with the unit they're attached to, but as per the CMON video about plugs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5wwFZThtRg#t=107) he says you should basically treat it like a separate unit that is just in the same grid. So in the Sturmpanzer/Cyclops scenario, you'd activate them all at the same time, you should be able to perform Dash with the Sturmpanzer, but then once that has commenced, then you're allowed to take your 2 attacks with Der Cyclops. If you were using Romler instead of Der Cyclops, no additional attack would be allowed as Romler has no attack stats of his own. On the other side of things, if General Patston were added to the Ostrich and you performed Rapid Assault into a square with only infantry units you would in fact roll a 2 dice Tank Shock, not 2 attacks of 1 die each. I actually just came to this conclusion while typing out this explanation, as Patston does not have "Tank Shock (1)", but instead has "Tank Shock (+ 1)". I am assuming that the + sign inherently changes the application of it, and thus the Ostrich's "Tank Shock (1)" recieves the +1, yielding effectively "Tank Shock (2)".

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboyjebus View Post
    I understand that plugs activate with the unit they're attached to, but as per the CMON video about plugs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5wwFZThtRg#t=107) he says you should basically treat it like a separate unit that is just in the same grid.
    The rulebook states that "The plug is considered part of the attached unit", so their saying in the video that it's a separate unit was an unfortunate way to explain it.

Think of the plug as a turret that is bolted on to the sturmpanzer. It's not a separate unit. So it gives the sturmpanzer a new gun to fire, it doesn't mesh with the existing main gun. And as a turret it is now part of the tank and therefore moves and activates and dies with it. Therefore if the sturmpanzer uses an ACTION, like DASH, it is forfeiting any of it's attacks, including those of the plug.

With Patston in the Ostrich it is just as Cowboy describes above. Patston is "bolting" into the Ostrich. And his bonus, Tanks Shock 1 is added to the existing tank shock giving the Ostrich a tank shock of 2. If Patston is plugged into a unit that doesn't have tank shock (essentially tank shock 0) he would then give that unit a tank shock of 1.

I hope that makes things clearer. It's exciting to read about you guys using the plugs and having fun with them.
    Last edited by Ted Terranova; 01-08-2014 at 12:09 PM.

Thanks for the clear up Ted and Loophole. Last question I had was about the Ostrich on its own. Does it get to do both a single attack, and a flat grid attack, or is it one or the other? I'm assuming that it's both attacks, based on the Sturmpanzer's 2 attacks

Yeah it gets to do both. The idea is that the ostrich gets one shot with the big gun on its turret and then a shot with the ball gun beneath (the flat grid to sort of simulate an MG spraying bullets and it's good against lighter armor). The sturmpanzer just has a high enough firing rate that it can get off two shots in a turn with its main gun. Blighters love to drill their gun loaders.

We originally had some units that had an "OR" in the attack block between lines, so the idea was similar to what you're asking. You could pick one or the other. I'm glad you brought that up because it might be something to revisit in future units.

Man, just when I think I have it all figured out...do gas tokens always do a flat grid attack? That seems to make the most sense, but I could also see some conditions where if multiple units start in the grid with gas, the first unit is taken by surprise but all other units get their gas masks on in time. Thanks again Ted, I'm definitely glad that I supported this fantastic game.

While the gas atack itself is not a Flat Grid attack, the gas cloud subsequently attacks all units in the grid where it goes, essentially like a Flat Grid attack.