Confirming Vehicles in Trenches

Thread: Confirming Vehicles in Trenches

Question Confirming Vehicles in Trenches

The first time I played the game, I assumed vehicles couldn't go on duckboards. After rereading the rules I realized the limitation was only specified for Bunkers and Strategic Zones which count as duckboards. I just want to get verification that vehicles can in fact enter generic duckboard spaces. Seeing all this talk of 3D trenches being designed makes that rule by omission start bugging me again. I'm pretty sure they can. Otherwise some of these maps would be mighty restrictive for vehicles. Just putting that doubt to rest with your aid. Thanks!

Sure, vehicles can go on the duckboard/trenches. No rule to say otherwise and in one video game they did do this.

After thinking you were wrong and doubled checked the rules, sure enough it says only infantry can enter strategic objectives and bunkers. all other duckboards are up for grabs.

wow and the 6 games i played so far was super tough - we kept vehicles out of duckboards. made a challenging night.

A common misconception seems to be people thinking that the duckboards represent trenches, when they are simply walkways to make movement easier.

I agree, the vehicle thing bugs me. They aren't just 'walkways', they are trenches. Really really wide trenches, but trenches none the less. They have walls along the sides of them. When I do get my 3d board, it will probably look strange to have the Ostrich or Sturmpanzer inside of them. I think the two square bases should be able to travel in them, but a four square base shouldn't. Just my thought.

Quote Originally Posted by blkdymnd View Post
    I agree, the vehicle thing bugs me. They aren't just 'walkways', they are trenches. Really really wide trenches, but trenches none the less. They have walls along the sides of them. When I do get my 3d board, it will probably look strange to have the Ostrich or Sturmpanzer inside of them. I think the two square bases should be able to travel in them, but a four square base shouldn't. Just my thought.
    The pictures do show walls. During the Kickstarter Ted said that they weren't trenches though and just duckboards. So I don't know when that changed...

^ good point, they definitely have a trench aesthetic now. So, Ted, what say you?

I had always assumed vehicles could use them, based on the rules and the first play videos. The idea that there are no cover modifiers etc supported that

However, why not use scenarios (existing or DY) where they are restricted squares, makes for some challenging games and a great replay value if everyone is up for it

As Chibi-Vampire has confirmed generic duckboard spaces can be occupied by vehicles. It is just bunkers, strategic objectives, and tank traps that vehicles can not move into. An easy way to remember this is that all units can go everywhere on any tile unless the specific terrain element that gets placed on the tile says otherwise.

I was confused as heck when I first read the rules.. I scoured it looking for anything related to duckboards and found nothing. I do remember a pretty lengthy debate about it and there was no name for the duckboards set it stone then. We all called them trenches...?!?
    But Ted did say during the KS that they were aesthetic and allowed faster movement but NO cover buffs.
    Something that would have needed actual game development as this games rules basically got shipped up in under 6 months by a company that had 4 other game projects going on.

My biggest grief is the lack of forethought about some serious game changing rules involving the "trenches" and the battle mechanic. I constantly have to refer to stat cards and for whatever reason am not keen on everything hitting on a 5 or 6. It works.. but the stat for "attempts" is odd to me because what is the purpose?? You might as roll all the "attempts" in ONE attack as they don't "roll over" to another attack.

Custom dice without the pips for sure! The pips just throw me off. And the defense buff is just odd. (Hits on 4+ or is wounded on 6 only.. I forget the name and no rulebook handy now)
    I like the different amunt of dice rolled to attack for different defense levels... but personally, it seems like its lacking something and just feels VERY luck heavy... even for a quick "war game."
    Rando Commando

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHTSHADE View Post
    I constantly have to refer to stat cards and for whatever reason am not keen on everything hitting on a 5 or 6. It works.. but the stat for "attempts" is odd to me because what is the purpose?? You might as roll all the "attempts" in ONE attack as they don't "roll over" to another attack.
    I have no idea what your trying to describe. You roll all the dice you need to at once. If you miss, and you still have attacks for that model, you can choose a different target or continue trying to hit the same one.

Quote Originally Posted by chibi-vampire View Post
    I have no idea what your trying to describe. You roll all the dice you need to at once. If you miss, and you still have attacks for that model, you can choose a different target or continue trying to hit the same one.
    I thought it has to be the same grid... unless it has the ability that allows it to change target grids..?
    Rando Commando

Nope. Go back and read through the combat. I had to today, as I was also thinking all attacks had to go to the same grid. Each attack goes back to, I believe, Step 4. Step 4 basically says "Select a target grid." So each attack that a model has, whether it's on a new line or multiple attacks from the same gun, get to go against their own target.

We played easily more than a dozen games today. As the day went on, I believe our whole group grew to really appreciate all of the subtle ways these simple rules interact to be way better than the sum of their parts.

The only unit this applies to is the *sniper*, who can only target units in 1 grid. for any other units (in the core game at least), each attack can be made on different grids. That's why a blight tank with a turret really posses a threat, because it gets to shoot at 4 different targets.

We've used a HR on some games in which the 'duckboards' become 'trenches' and provide -1 defense for infantry only, but we allow any unit into them. Also, we've been messing with allowing any unit type onto strategic objectives, but only infantry can claim them. adds another layer to the strategy.

Also, we've been working on mechanics for possible 'dead grids' in which a tank is destroyed. It becomes a square that only infantry can enter, but the get a -1 defensive buff from the wreckage. working on a custom exploded tank model to serve as the grid marker. seems to work well on larger boards, not so much on smaller one's where you loose critical paths for armor movement.
    Last edited by Bubo; 01-13-2014 at 10:40 AM.