FAQ's (Frequently Asked Questions)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FAQ's (Frequently Asked Questions)

Default FAQ's (Frequently Asked Questions)

Thought I'd compile and maintain an FAQ list since the forums can bury some topics pretty quickly. Will also be a 1 stop shop for Ted / CMON to answer questions. So if you have some questions, post them here.

Awaiting Official Answer:

Q: Can Rapid Assault be used just to move. Do you have to attack after you move ?

Q: Can you Rapid Assault between attacks if a unit has more than one attack ?

Q: Can you attack an empty grid ? (ie: To place a gas cloud.)

Q: If you were to use Reload on Konig, would he still be limited to the grid he first attacked? Or if you killed the only unit in the first grid, can you choose a unit in a 2nd grid to attack ?

Q: Can you double up on obstacles ? (ie: mines and barbed wire on a single grid) (or tank traps and barbed wire, making it a dead grid)

Q: Can you place barbed wire on a strategic Objective ?

Q: Can Hero Infantry capture objectives ? (On the list because in old rules they couldn't, but new rules implies they can, but some cards not working on Heroes raises doubts. So an official answer would be nice.)

Q: Exactly which Secret Mission / Action Cards can be used with Heroes ?
    Action Cards
    Improved Assembly Line: No
    Tunnel Rat:
    Back in the Fight:
    Stiff Upper Lip:
    To the Front: (can you use it to reduce the cost of a Hero)
    Foreign Entanglement:
    Death from Above:
    Things that go Boom
    This. Is. Marta!:
    Sticky Widget:
    Special Blend:
    Refit:
    Secret Missions
    Keep 'Em Coming:
    Leeeeroy Jenkins:
    Bring the Fight:
    Can Opener:
    Tally Ho!:
    Charge!

Answered:

Q: How long do Gas Clouds last ?
    A: 2 Rounds. The exact phases are:
    Turn 1 Combat: Gas is created (place 'more gassy' side up)
    Turn 1 Movement: Gas Cloud Moves
    Turn 2 Combat: Flip Gas Token to symbolize 2nd round for Cloud
    Turn 2 Movement: Gas Cloud Moves
    Turn 3 Combat: Gas Cloud is removed.

Q: Do Gas Clouds move during the creators and/or the opponents move phase ?
    A: Gas Clouds only move/disappear during the creator of the clouds turn.

Q: What is the attack power of Gas Clouds ?
    A: Gas Clouds use the attack chart of the unit or card that created it. The cloud does not weaken over time and always attacks at full power.

Q: Do Buffs grant the buff giver the buff too ?
    A: Yes, all units in a grid with a unit that gives a buff, get that buff. Including the buff giver.

Q: Can any unit walk in the trenches / duckboards ?
    A: Yes, all units may move into or through trenches / duckboards.

Q: Can any unit capture a Strategic Objective ?
    A: No, only infantry may enter a Strategic Objective.

Q: Can you attack in any direction ?
    A: Yes, all directions are allowed for the core set (some units in the expansions may not be allowed to, ie: planes)

Q: Does shooting use the same "diagonal once" rule that movement does?
    A: Yes, a single diagonal may be used to calculate range. (page 17 of rules)

Q: If a unit has multiple attacks, can it target different grids ?
    A: Yes, you start the combat process over from step 4 in the rule book, where you select a grid to target.

Q: If a unit with a plug uses an action such as DASH, that prevents attacking, does the plug still get to attack ?
    A: No, the plug is considered part of the unit it is attached to and follows any restrictions placed on that unit.

Q: Is there any way to discard a Secret Mission ?
    A: Not at this time. The only way to get a new Secret Mission is to complete one.

Q: Do Minefields disappear after blowing up ?
    A: No, Minefields remain active and deadly.

Q: Does unit orientation matter ?
    A: No, a 1x2 unit can be placed either vertically or horizontally in the grid.
    Last edited by chibi-vampire; 01-18-2014 at 11:16 AM.

Well this thread will probably be short lived =p

As seen by Ted's post in this thread:
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-A-little-help

They will be posting an official FAQ thread, so hopefully I won't have to update mine ^_^

But it does have some commonly asked questions so far and will be useful till the official on goes up.

Yeah I think that's a great help, Chibi. We will make sure to cross check it. Getting help from players is awesome. It really helped when we released the rules early and got some good feedback.

Please continue the trend. Wave 2 data dump will be eagerly lapped up.

I actually had a couple questions.
    1. Does shooting use the same "diagonal once" rule that movement does?
    2. If you were to use Reload on Konig, would he still be limited to the grid he first attacked?

Quote Originally Posted by Shan Morris View Post
    I actually had a couple questions.
    1. Does shooting use the same "diagonal once" rule that movement does?
    2. If you were to use Reload on Konig, would he still be limited to the grid he first attacked?
    1. There is an image in the rulebook similiar to the movement image but for shooting, and yes, once diagonal is okay according to it.
    2. This is a very good question and one I had in mind as well...

So I've played the game a couple of times now and one question that came up was WRT gas, I understand gas attack is during the combat phase and drifts during the next 2 movement phases; is that the movement phases of the player that caused the gas cloud?
    Why I ask is gas can come from Tankken and from a Gas attack action card, how do you differentiate? Also the attack strengths are different (Tankken a flat 2, Action card a flat 1), same question do you have to remember which is which? Does the gas dissipate over time i.e. only 1 die on the second turn. I believe the gas tokens have different symbols on either side, meant to be flipped after the first move and removed after the second?

The indicated phases where gas attacks and moves are all regarding the player that created the gas cloud.

Having gas clouds generated by more than 1 source on the board at the same time should be very rare. If their position is not enough to make it clear where each came from, perhaps put something like a damage marker on the gas cloud created by the Action! card, and a marker on the card itself, so you can easily identify it.

Gas does not lose attack power over time, it always attacks at full strength until it goes away.

Yes, flipping the gas token is a good way to keep track of when it should be removed. Keep in mind you should flip and then remove the token at the start of each combat phase of the player who created the cloud, not after each move.
    Last edited by Loophole Master; 01-14-2014 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chibi-vampire View Post
    Q: Can you Rapid Assault between attacks if a unit has more than one attack ?
    Short answer No.

Strait from the rule book:

"RAPID ASSAULT - When a unit with this ability activates during the combat phase it may perform its movement before attacking. If it uses this ability it may not move in the movement phase."

A couple of key phrases to help out here / order of operations show below. The wording means that the move happens between II and III in the Combat phase.

• C. Combat Phase
      • I. Activate grid
      • II. Check buffs on activating grid
      • ---Special thinks like Rapid Assault
      • III. Each active unit selects a target grid and performs attacks or an action
        • 1. Check buffs on target
        • 2. Make attack
        • 3. Apply damage
        • 4. Remove casualties

• IV. Repeat until all units have activated
    Last edited by mcs1213; 01-14-2014 at 03:51 PM.

Post Deleted for reading comprehension issues ^_^
    Last edited by chibi-vampire; 01-14-2014 at 04:52 PM.

Chibi-vampire, I think you're replying to a different question than the one mcs1213 was explaining. Your argument seems to be for "Can I use Rapid Assault if I don't attack anybody?", while he's explaining why you can't use Rapid Assault between attacks. On the first issue I agree that an official answer is called for, but on the second, I think it's pretty self explanatory. "The unit may perform its movement before attacking". If you already performed an attack, then you wouldn't be moving before attacking.

Quote Originally Posted by Loophole Master View Post
    Chibi-vampire, I think you're replying to a different question than the one mcs1213 was explaining. Your argument seems to be for "Can I use Rapid Assault if I don't attack anybody?", while he's explaining why you can't use Rapid Assault between attacks. On the first issue I agree that an official answer is called for, but on the second, I think it's pretty self explanatory. "The unit may perform its movement before attacking". If you already performed an attack, then you wouldn't be moving before attacking.
    Yes, but this makes it seem like goes before the attacking phase, by grid. However, it can also being interpreted as just for that unit. So if an infantry is in the first active grid square, and Parman is in 2 and is going to use Rapid Assault, would you use Parman first and then complete the others in grid order or would you go in grid order and then once you finished with the first infantry, you could use Parman's Rapid Assault. It can interpreted both ways. As said before, an official answer is needed.

That is more along the lines of what chibi meant I think. Either way, answering whether it is a reference of time or action will determine the answers to both.

Your right, wrong question lol =p my bad >_>

But my real counterpoint would be, it is still 'before attacking'. You may have already attacked once, but you still have an attack left, and (by way of many a rules lawyer) it technically qualifies according to the wording.
    Last edited by chibi-vampire; 01-14-2014 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by knatebaker View Post
    Yes, but this makes it seem like goes before the attacking phase, by grid. However, it can also being interpreted as just for that unit. So if an infantry is in the first active grid square, and Parman is in 2 and is going to use Rapid Assault, would you use Parman first and then complete the others in grid order or would you go in grid order and then once you finished with the first infantry, you could use Parman's Rapid Assault. It can interpreted both ways. As said before, an official answer is needed.

That is more along the lines of what chibi meant I think. Either way, answering whether it is a reference of time or action will determine the answers to both.
    Could you elaborate a bit ? I'm not quite sure what your trying to say.

All units in a grid are considered 'active' once you choose that grid to activate. So they would get the rapid assault buff even if Parman moved out first.

Quote Originally Posted by chibi-vampire View Post
    Could you elaborate a bit ? I'm not quite sure what your trying to say.

All units in a grid are considered 'active' once you choose that grid to activate. So they would get the rapid assault buff even if Parman moved out first.
    Nevermind. I read Loophole's post incorrectly. -_-;
    Last edited by knatebaker; 01-14-2014 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Silly me.

Quote Originally Posted by knatebaker View Post
    Nevermind. I read Loophole's post incorrectly. -_-;
    Seems to be a common occurrence today =p

Given the questions about which cards infantry and cavalry cards will, or won't affect heroes, I've got a couple questions of my own;

Can infantry heroes enter bunker and objective spaces?
    If so, can infantry heroes capture objectives?

2 Questions came up in a game tonight:

Do Mine Traps disappear after they blow up ?

Physics would say yes, but the rules don't say anything about removing mine traps once they are laid out. Do they just become permanent mine fields ?

And can you double up on obstacles ? (ie: mines and barbed wire on a single grid) (or tank traps and barbed wire, making it a dead grid)

As you say, the rules don't mention removing mines when they blow up. The marker represents a mineFIELD, not just a single mine, so when one blows up, there are always still more hidden away.

I don't see why you couldn't double up on obstacles of different types.

I don't see why you couldn't double up on obstacles of different types.
    Making grids impassible to all units seems like a good reason not to allow this to me! There are no examples of this in the 10 mission maps we got. I thinks that's a pretty good clue to intention.