Parman Rapid Assault Q
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parman Rapid Assault Q

Default Parman Rapid Assault Q

Just want to verify this.

Parman can activate in a grid, confer his Rapid Assault to the units in that grid (say, a Pounder), then move to a new grid up to 3 away while the Pounder moves into its own grid to then shoot at range 4.

Parman is now sitting in a grid with, say, two infantry. They now are getting the Rapid Assault buff and since you haven't activated their grid yet, when they get activated they also have the Rapid Assault buff.

This is how I understand buffs to work, as nowhere is there wording saying a buff is activated with the unit that has it. Buffs are, essentially, always on.

This makes Parman very useful!
    Last edited by Tauwolf; 01-14-2014 at 02:40 AM.

Agreed.
    Allied MVP.

Just used him and an infantry to deploy, charge up the map, clear a Strategic Objective, and use the Shoot and Scoot Action Card to take the objective with the infantry. I've done this in two different games now. He's awesome!

i've used him like this last night, and kept him on my deployment zone the entire game, he never saw combat. why? because he acts as a springboard for the other deployed units, literally launching everything to no man's land in one turn. totally neagting the shortcomings of units that move only 1 or 2 per turn. MVP for sure.

The only thing we are waiting for is an official answer on if you can rapid assault somewhere and not attack. Meaning that only grids that you can attack from become valid targets for the rapid assault movement.

Yesh, an official answer will be greatly appreciated and will answer a lot haha. However, even so, MVP Allied Unit.

My money is on attack being a requirement. It would cut down on the abuse and rein in Parman's potential pre and post movement buffs to units starting in his grid and units that exist in a grid he moves to. Otherwise he just seems Too Good!

Also, do the units in his grid have to move with him (replicating the whole Calvary 'CHARGE' mechanic), or can the units all move 3 grids & attack different units? hmmm, food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubo View Post
    Also, do the units in his grid have to move with him (replicating the whole Calvary 'CHARGE' mechanic), or can the units all move 3 grids & attack different units? hmmm, food for thought.
    All the units activate together, but they operate individually, so they are free to go wherever they wish.
    Last edited by chibi-vampire; 01-15-2014 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chibi-vampire View Post
    All the units activate together, but they operate individually, so they are free to go wherever they wish.
    This. I have yet to play the Allies, which I'm surprised by, but can't wait to use Parman. He sounds like a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by knatebaker View Post
    This. I have yet to play the Allies, which I'm surprised by, but can't wait to use Parman. He sounds like a lot of fun.
    Reminds me of the southpark 'gonna have a bad time' meme.

Get him out early, because the 'Blight Wall' is mighty hard to take down without him.
    Last edited by chibi-vampire; 01-15-2014 at 06:13 PM.

Some how this use of Parman does not feel right, the Rapid Assault buff is intended as a start of combat move which requires the activation of a single grid at a time and units can only be activated once. I cannot see anything in the rules to preclude it but it does "feel" like Parman is being used twice. I guess the blight heroes could operate like this if the Rapid Assault Action! card was played but that would only be a one time event not every turn

I think the final ruling is going to come back that the attack is a mandatory part of the action. If that's the case, then the only way to be able to use this buff on 2 grids would be to move Parman to a grid that (1) has enemies within attack range for him to attack and (2) has allied units in it that want to move a long distance before attacking, but if (1) is true, then why would you need to move before attacking?

He'll still be useful for getting some recently deployed units to the front line quickly and maybe a few other special instances, but he won't be as OP as everyone is currently using him.

Rapid Assault buff is intended as a start of combat move which requires the activation of a single grid at a time and units can only be activated once.
    Finally! Someone on my side. This is why I don't think people are doing it right. The unit can only be activated once, so Parman wouldn't give that buff to infantry in the space he just moved to.

Quote Originally Posted by donnbobhardy View Post
    but if (1) is true, then why would you need to move before attacking?
    Parman has a range of 1. If an enemy is 3 spaces away, then he can use Rapid Assault to move to them before attacking them. Maybe I don't understand this question.

With those two things in consideration, in my eyes, Parman is the "Charge!!!" unit, where if two infantry are with him in a space, they "charge" into battle with him as a rapid assault. This could be awesome, depending on if you have it setup right. But it couldn't be too difficult considering the rapid assault is a range of 3...most units in range of a rapid assault shoudl be available to attack. This makes the most sense to me at least.

If Parman has to attack as part of his Rapid Assault, then he is ending his movement next to enemies. Any allies that are in that ending grid would most likely not need to move before attacking, because they are already next to those same enemies (unless Parman manages to annihilate them all). Therefore, if the attack is necessary, you will rarely be able to use his buff twice. But it should still be valid to do in those rare cases as it is a buff and buffs apply to all units in the same unit. Buffs don't disappear after they are used.

That is why I doubt the buff even can occur twice, especially since units can only be activated once, and buffs only work when the unit is activated. I don't think it's possible to do it twice if you wanted.

Although, if they can do it twice, I would totally rapid assault the infantry to an area they gain points in if they were in range of fighting an enemy still. That way you'd get to skip some enemies, attack other enemies further away, leaving other units to take care of those skipped, and still get the point. Very rare occassion though.

Parman you old cavalryman. First let me tell you guys that this has been really interesting to follow. Seeing how people are using units is really fascinating and sometimes unexpected. It's just really exciting.

So Parman wasn't so great when we played him originally. He was ok but we never really deployed him, except in certain situations. To make him more exciting we thought we'd give him this buff and let him grab some guys and rush forward on the attack. And it made him way more exciting and powerful plus he's getting deployed. I know some of you would like a ruling on him being able to buff a second grid but honestly we are still debating the issue. The game just came out and people are still picking through things and trying new stuff out so right now we'd like to let things settle a bit. I hope you can appreciate that and we appreciate your patience on this. We are working on the FAQ and all the questions that we see coming up.

And please continue to post these interesting new tactics you discover. I haven't seen many people mentioning koenig? Has anyone put him in a grid with the MG? That'll keep those allied riflemen's heads down.

Hi Ted, thanks for chiming in, and I agree with the sentiment; it always amazes me the number of posts regarding this/that being overpowering; so let's see how it plays out.
    As to Koenig that was the first tactic I tried as the Blight, it did not work so well as the Allied player (my son) just deployed a bunch of rocket cycles... and after the fireworks I was slaughtered, turns out they cannot hit anything with armour. Now one I would like to try would be Koenig and mono wheels, range+1 and rapid assault.
    I have only played 3 games as the Blight but have been beaten each time by the Allied so those that say the Blight wall is unbeatable I take with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by MutantGene13 View Post
    Hi Ted, thanks for chiming in, and I agree with the sentiment; it always amazes me the number of posts regarding this/that being overpowering; so let's see how it plays out.
    As to Koenig that was the first tactic I tried as the Blight, it did not work so well as the Allied player (my son) just deployed a bunch of rocket cycles... and after the fireworks I was slaughtered, turns out they cannot hit anything with armour. Now one I would like to try would be Koenig and mono wheels, range+1 and rapid assault.
    I have only played 3 games as the Blight but have been beaten each time by the Allied so those that say the Blight wall is unbeatable I take with a grain of salt.
    If played right, the Blight Wall is very hard to take down. And to be honest, rocket bikes should never get in range of the MG's without being shredded by infantry.

MG's should never enter no mans land unless the Blight is clearly far ahead. Infantry should never be more than 1 to a grid if in range of 65'ers.

Turn 1: Spawn 2 MG's and 2 infantry.
    Turn 2: Spawn 6 infantry, or 4 infantry and a monowheel.
    Turn 3+: Usually at least 2 infantry and whatever you think you need.
    When you get slightly ahead you spawn the tank. (game usually ends before tank is useful)

I've started to always let the Allies go first, and the Blight still win most of the time. Using Parman to catapult multiple units is the only thing keeping the games close.
    Last edited by chibi-vampire; 01-16-2014 at 06:04 PM.

My local group has close to 20 games under our belt collective belts and the Allies have won more than they've lost. The Blight Wall was scary for a few games and then we figured out plenty of counter plays. And please do not insist we're somehow "doing it wrong."

Thank you, Ted, for chiming in! I love hearing the gameplay history. It's really awesome to hear where certain units came from and what the designer's intentions were when building the game.

Parman is a very valuable tool for the allies, and that value is offset by his cost and the VP your opponent can earn by off'ing him. I don't really see a problem with allowing his buff to be "always on" and able to affect two grids per turn. All of the heroes bring a lot to the table, and it's impressive how much variety Ted has been able to build into the game using such a simple rule set.

Oh, and Koenig + MG was actually tested by my buddy. It definitely has potential. Just like anything in the game, it seems, there are counters that shut it down. It's up to the general to know when to spring a nasty combo like that, using everything he has available to get the most out of it before the opposing player can react.
    Last edited by Tauwolf; 01-16-2014 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tauwolf View Post
    My local group has close to 20 games under our belt collective belts and the Allies have won more than they've lost. The Blight Wall was scary for a few games and then we figured out plenty of counter plays. And please do not insist we're somehow "doing it wrong."
    How many objectives do you use ? I usually only use 2 in the middle of the board. But I am finding that the more objectives there are, the higher chances the Allies will win.

The Allies usually get an early lead thanks to the grid attack actions card or whatever, and if there a lot of objectives, 10 VP comes quickly and the Allies win.

However the longer the game goes, the 'Blight wall' gets into position slowly just push the Allies back.

In short:
    Short Game = Allies Win
    Long Games = Blight Win