Games Workshop's stock loses 24% value today. It has begun.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Games Workshop's stock loses 24% value today. It has begun.

Default Games Workshop's stock loses 24% value today. It has begun.

Hi guys!

Many of you know our epic series about the "Future of Games Days and Games Workshop". So far 8 parts have been written in this epic wall of text series, and today, sadly, some of the predictions of the first few parts came true...
    Games Workshop lost 24% of stock value today. Turnover for the half year is down by 12%, profit by roughly 30%.

If you know the epic length of our articles, you will understand that I will link to my blog here instead of copy/pasting the whole wall.

The facts are in the line above. The rest can be read here.

SHARE & ENJOY!

PAINTINGBUDDHA - Where YOU learn to BE a BETTER painter!

This is the best thing I have ever heard. Those people who PM'd me to verbally abuse me when I said you'd be daft to buy GW stock because it was inflated HA, just HA. Seriously though GW can take this one of two directions, they can realize that there business model sucks and change, or die. Hopefully they realize that the money is in supporting creativity and long time customers and not pushing them aside for the next wave of tweens to be pulled in.

This is bad news. (for me anyway), if GW was to fold it would be a terrible loss for the hobby
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

We've discussed this from some time at our LGS. The conclusion was that they will probably be bought up. Hopefully by someone who knows what they're doing.

EDIT: Look GW is just a company. The IP will live forever.

Muhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha haha.........at last!!!!! Oh wait a second if they go that's bad for the new kids coming into the hobby....er...um. Dunno really the joy of seeing the suits who have wrecked my favourite company getting shafted is tempered by the hobby I love getting potentially er shafted. Don't know whether to laugh or cry?!?!?
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

I know GW doesn't get alot of love but still I wouldn't like to see them go under. At the end of the day, its people's livelihoods at stake as well as the company.

Quote Originally Posted by crystella333 View Post
    I know GW doesn't get alot of love but still I wouldn't like to see them go under. At the end of the day, its people's livelihoods at stake as well as the company.
    Indeed Cryssy.

I feel sorry for all the staff that has been, and will be laid off, due to the top brass apparently not knowing what they are doing.

Its allways the dude on the floor, paying for the top brass pampering to the shareholders.

And i dont think GW will go away, not any time soon. If the stock price falls low enoughh, someone might swoop ina nd aquire a majority share of the company and start over, with an eye to the future.

The current manegement seems stuck in the 90's and oblivious to the changes in the world around them.
    Last edited by marjedi; 01-16-2014 at 02:45 PM.
    The odds of succesfully finishing this miniature is 3720:1

Luckily GW is no longer the only major company making minis, there are a lot more options now than when I was just starting out. However I doubt it will just up and disappear, even with recent losses they're still making a lot of money. And every once in a while they'll come out with a kit I actually want to paint. But it would be nice to see some changes to their leadership and direction, not to mention ever increasing prices.

I've got no interest in Games Workshop. I haven't painted one of their miniatures in ten years. I don't care if they prosper or if they fold. If it's a poorly run company, they will get into serious trouble. That's how it goes. Sucks for those who lose their jobs, of course, but... well, shit happens! It does in every type of business!

About it being a loss to "the hobby", I don't agree with that. Sure, it'll be a loss to those who like GW products. But, just because in GW rhetoric "The Hobby" = Warhammer doesn't mean it is so. Warhammer means as much to MY hobby as... well, Toyota! Nothing! When I started, roleplaying games were what got me into it. Games Workshop was one of many companies who made miniatures that fell to my liking. This was in the 80s. I guess at some point the hobby in general was in a bit of decline and GW became more dominant as a player in this market. But, this is certainly not the case now, and I can't see that changing at all. Today there are more games, more miniature ranges, more sculptors, more painters than ever. Also, you don't need the presence of a GW store close to you to find out about miniatures. It's on the Internet! As long as people keep painting, sculpting, playing games, inventing games, etc. and share their passion for it on the Internet this hobby is going to do just fine. With, or without GW!
    Combibo vestri peniculus quod fio a melior pictor.
    My gallery - go have a look!

They are the gateway drug of gaming and painting. How many of us started with GW? I doubt they will fold, but they will either be bought or downsize to a survivable stature. I wish them no ill will, but they did this to themselves with some serious greed and a very cavalier attitude towards their veteran fan base (of which I am one) so I can't feel pity either.
    ***Non committal generic statement of neutrality ends here, maybe...***
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

@Ritual: Bollocks! I call bollocks! You've painted Galadriel more recently! -07 to be precise! And even more recently IIRC Arwen as well, might not have finished that one though.

Admit! You lurve them!

True, forgot about Galadriel. I just counted Warhammer minis... And yeah, never finished Arwen. But my point still holds!
    Combibo vestri peniculus quod fio a melior pictor.
    My gallery - go have a look!

Yeah but I like splitting hairs better than debating points...

I think the take away here is not that GTW is folding, but rather there consumer base is correct and that the business model is harming the business. They've lost touch...plain and simple...

I do not think they'll go away (Look at Confrontation as a 'worst case scenario'), but I do believe some heads will roll because of this...If it's the top floor...so be it..have fun suits!!!....if it's the production guys...I feel for you and it sucks, but GW has been, for a number of years now, having trouble, so it can't be a true shock...devastation, yes..shock, no.

As for GW=the hobby...no. I don't agree. There are other companies that are standing up strong and fast and could continue the visibility of the hobby...Privateer Press and Malifaux come to mind. In addition, between kickstarter, 3d printing, the internet in general and other factors, the current mini hobby is also about the (please forgive the phrase) 'boutique mini companies.' Hasslefree, outlaw, Kingdom death...and others are all carrying a piece of the torch. I think GW was gateway for years because of the obscurity of the other companies (to include reaper at one point). But truthfully, miniatures wargaming has been around (as a hobby, specifically) since the beginning of last century, with H.G. Wells publishing one of the first rulesets (http://www.gutenberg.org/files/3691/3691-h/3691-h.htm) in 1913. SO the hobby may shrink, but it'll never die.
    If you can name your paint colors blindfolded....you might be a brushlicker

Going to be interesting to see what happens - the massive crash is likely because they announced a drop in profits yesterday in comparison to last year so it could just be us seeing the share price drop to closer what it should be. I don't think it's anything to do with people not being happy with how GW are running things, it's a pure stock market thing, plain and simple.

I don't think this is the precursor of "the end" for GW either (at least not yet), yes the share price has dropped and yes they made less profit - they are still a profitable company!

Personally one thing GW does do is to provide high street availability for our hobby. If I manage to spill a whole pot of paint I know that there's a good chance I can get a replacement without having to order it online.

I'm worried about all the working artists that make money doing army and show piece jobs for people that want painted armies. I know this is the bulk of business for these folks and WH40k demands the most models.

They're still making profit... I wouldn't be too worried.

Personally one thing GW does do is to provide high street availability for our hobby. If I manage to spill a whole pot of paint I know that there's a good chance I can get a replacement without having to order it online.
    This is very true. I would some much like to see others miniatures being available as easily, but no. Here in Finland you rarely see even quite popular games like Warmachine&Hordes not to mention anything more rare. Some stores have mantic and flames of war stuff but thats it. Yeah, you can get almost anything from internet. And for example younger games who don't have credit card, can't that often buy stuff overseas. Though I guess you don't anymore need actual credit card to make paypal account, but still.

I don't this this is the end. It's just change. I am watching with amused detachment while I stroke my beard and mutter "Hmmmm...very interesting".
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Quote Originally Posted by sm51498 View Post
    I'm worried about all the working artists that make money doing army and show piece jobs for people that want painted armies. I know this is the bulk of business for these folks and WH40k demands the most models.
    Don't worry, be happy.