Games Workshop's stock loses 24% value today. It has begun. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Games Workshop's stock loses 24% value today. It has begun.

hey its not like gw rolled over and just died. you make it sound like the business is gone already.

i know the company behave more than strange sometimes, but id hate to see them gone. fingers crossed for a good recovery gw.
    ...keep talking
    Forever remains

Instagram

Sadly, a drop in price merely reflects the current market value. Best stock trade I ever did was when McDonald's had a "meat problem". Stock tanked that day, and I quickly snatched up some shares. I mean really, who didn't think McDonald's would bounce back from a temporary supply issue?

Will GW bounce back? This could fall either way. If management decides that their cost cutting and price increases in the past haven't gone far enough and try to do more, I can see another drop this year. They could death spiral, save any sudden changes of heart. If they realize they've put a hole in the hull, they can correct and the stock recovers.

If there's a 20% increase in prices this May? Yeah, they chose option #1.

Either way, popcorn all around.
    "Reality, she's a mathematical bitch from hell.", MaxedOutMama
    Wanna be bored? Watch me twitter. --<>-- Still have neurons? Watch my YouTube channel on painting!
    Want to know when to fry your neurons? My painting twitter will announce the videos.
    To judge how far to follow my advice, consider this: ---<>--- Slappin' paint on minis since 2006

Much as I'm critical of GW's behaviour towards is customers I do not want them to collapse, only to get a proper perspective of their role in the marketplace and how to recover.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Blog Entries

I read comments in another thread that said the website was shut down. US website is up and running. In fact it's announced an opening of another store in the US:
    OPENING JANUARY 25th!
    Lakeview Plaza
    15766 S. LaGrange Road
    Orland Park, IL 60642
    Lakeview Plaza Facebook Page

So their stock dropped. Whose hasn't in the current state of the global economy?

Check out more of my wife's photography at: http://thereasagwinn.com

Why choose Space Wolves over other chapters?
    ‘They are desperate, and as savage as beasts.’
    Magnus lost his smile.
    ‘I no longer think of them as animals, Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptible. Single-minded. The perfection of my father’s vision.’
    Excerpt from Battle of the Fang

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    Much as I'm critical of GW's behaviour towards is customers I do not want them to collapse, only to get a proper perspective of their role in the marketplace and how to recover.
    This ^^^^ is best for everyone.....Those who hate can continue to hate, no problem, those who love don't lose out because the guys in suits dont have a clue. I don't love their business practices. But I am equally interested in various products on the markets and I want everyone to do well, including GW .

dfb

My Gallery Here

CMON Rank: Will paint for Jelly Beans...

Blog Entries

You know, I would really like to be able to get all of GW's stuff for a penny, (except the failcast, my god, they can keep those) but what if it went the other way? What if all minis became more costly? What if you couldn't get your hands on a mini for less than $30? Would painted mini's then be worth more too? I bet they would. I have a feeling that most folks out there trying to make a go of being a pro painter would rather make 20% on $40 than $15. Of course quality then become s the big issue. Paying $40 for 5 smurfs with giant mold lines and only 1 pose sucks. I get that.

What if all mini companies were more like Andrea? I kind of think that Forge World, at least, is getting it right.

Stock prices do go down as well as up - and it's not the first time that GW shares have taken a big hit. There was a major drop in the mid 90's - I know because I was planning on selling some of my GW shares at the time. 20 odd years later they are still here.

I don't think that this is the death knell of GW, but it should be a wakeup call to the GW management to get things in order. Personally I would not want to see GW go. They produce some really nice quality figures ( and a fair share of dodgy ones) and they are a big presence on the high street to introduce people to table top wargaming. I don't see any other chain of Wargaming shops that have such a presence.
    What you leave behind is not what is written on your tombstone but what is written in the heart of others.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhowl View Post
    I read comments in another thread that said the website was shut down. US website is up and running. In fact it's announced an opening of another store in the US:
    OPENING JANUARY 25th!
    Lakeview Plaza
    15766 S. LaGrange Road
    Orland Park, IL 60642
    Lakeview Plaza Facebook Page

So their stock dropped. Whose hasn't in the current state of the global economy?
    I live around here and that store opening is misleading. The store has been located in the Orland Square Mall for years, but they want all stores to go down to a one man store (impossible in a mall) so they are closing the one in the mall and opening that store to save on rent/manpower. Also here in Chicago they are closing the popular Bunker and "opening" another store nearby, which again, will go from an awesome shop with tons of gaming tables, customer service, and plenty of room, to a smaller one man shop nobody wants to be near...
    And I doubt shops like the one near my house (Geneva IL) will last much longer. Every time I drive by (to go to a local shop that's much cooler and offers a much wider array of games) nobody is in there.
    The one big thing I hoooope is true is that Finecast is dead. I've hated that product from the beginning!!!! But as far as GW is concerned a company like that will be around - if they tank some investors will jump on the chance to get their hands on that IP. It won't just flat out die, but I bet in the future we will see some major change of hands....
    But what do I know! I'm just a lowly painter
    My Rank -

I think the stock drop gives some of us a sort of vindication of GW's ever downward spiral when it comes to their customer focus in recent years....

If they could recapture the fun and creativeness they used to have, instead of churning out revamped sameness, I'd happily come back to the fold.

Name:  jjjj.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  421.9 KB
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Blog Entries

LOL, still have Golden Heroes RPG books. There in my pile of stuff to get rid of in my house move....

dfb

My Gallery Here

CMON Rank: Will paint for Jelly Beans...

Nice find, Ten. I haven't seen that in years.

I think Elly is perfectly correct. Sad as it is, if the company does tank, there are companies in the wings who would love to harvest the IP.