Wolverine tactics suggestions?

Thread: Wolverine tactics suggestions?

Question Wolverine tactics suggestions?

Does anyone have recommendations for tactics when deploying the Wolverine? Scenarios where it's particularly useful?

I've seen mentions of players using action cards to deploy it deep into the board and am looking for more ideas because I've noticed that I never reach for it when deploying units. It seems challenging to use the Wolverine's defensive buff with faster-moving infantry ("Wait up so I can protect you!") and its offensive power doesn't seem to warrant the risk its bounty.

It's a great model though, so I'm hunting for an excuse to get it running around the table.

You are right. So far, each time I use him its with the Tunnel Rat or Death from Above cards. He's really good at clogging up a Strategic Objective. Makes most assaults a single die once he gets there. I've never tried moving him from the spawn to the front line however. Takes too long for the effect I want.

He's been the VIP in a couple of our games. That defensive buff is was tougher than it seems on first glance. The Wolverine and 3 troops can hold a flank all on their own, and will almost guarantee you VPs in the second half of the game.

He's a late-game hero. When moving him up with a wave of troops, try keeping him in grid position 2, with one regular troop in grid 1. That troop (with the buff) keeps him protected from any initial anti-armor shots.

i too avoided wolverine until i figured out how useful he really is.

group him with parman & an infantry, make a pretty awesome grid-unit that can attack everything on the board that moves 3 grids at a time (rapid assault). you stand to loose 2 VP if the whole grid goes down, but his defensive buff makes that quite a challenge. while your opponent is throwing everything at them you can flank with reinforcements.

also, wolverine makes defending a SO much easier, as he's an infantry unit. group him with 3 other infantry on an SO & hold tight. keep a steady stream of infantry going up as reinforcements. put him in the #4 position, so that there are 3 other units to go through before striking him.

i don't know what the official rule is, as the wording changed in the final published rules, but his defensive buff can render most attacks to 0 dice, keeping most units from being able to attack anything/anyone with wolverine's buff.

Pairing him with Parman even for just one turn really helps get him into the action. But I generally deploy him early and don't expect to much until the late game where he rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubo View Post
    i don't know what the official rule is, as the wording changed in the final published rules, but his defensive buff can render most attacks to 0 dice, keeping most units from being able to attack anything/anyone with wolverine's buff.
    The official rule is that Bolster Defense reduces the attack to a minimum of 1, so it can't totally keep a unit from attacking.