Western Front - What we know now - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Western Front - What we know now

No ETA, but an excellent time to start saving would be "now". That's my plan at least.

Hi all, fraid I'm going to have to be the snapped rivet on this topic, and I hope I'm proved to be just a cynic. However I believe from regularly looking through kickstarter over the last year or so, and most importantly that Coolminiornot are involved, we know we can expect greed. Correct me if I'm wrong on this but the difference between the stretchgoals vastly increased from Zombicide to it's sequel. Often asking for 50,000 to increase the backer's cash of minis by two or three extra (small) identical sculpts as already produced, just because they knew that the backers would go for it. Now I'm not saying that Ted would be involved in such shinannigans, but I remain sceptical because of their involvement. Please prove me wrong on this, your generous addition of the extra two sculpts because of the schedule delays was a wonderful surprise and shows that you are definitely in it for the fans already. On a lighter note, from Eastern Front we know that going West will be awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by daddymaykadarobots View Post
    Hi all, fraid I'm going to have to be the snapped rivet on this topic, and I hope I'm proved to be just a cynic. However I believe from regularly looking through kickstarter over the last year or so, and most importantly that Coolminiornot are involved, we know we can expect greed. Correct me if I'm wrong on this but the difference between the stretchgoals vastly increased from Zombicide to it's sequel. Often asking for 50,000 to increase the backer's cash of minis by two or three extra (small) identical sculpts as already produced, just because they knew that the backers would go for it. Now I'm not saying that Ted would be involved in such shinannigans, but I remain sceptical because of their involvement. Please prove me wrong on this, your generous addition of the extra two sculpts because of the schedule delays was a wonderful surprise and shows that you are definitely in it for the fans already. On a lighter note, from Eastern Front we know that going West will be awesome!
    To be fair, they didn't start having stretch goals that far apart until the end. With that many backers, those extra minis started to get expensive.

Do you guys have any influence on this game? I think maybe you do I was drawing some polar bears this morning with a Ruska hero on its back. My first attempts at a bear were really off. But I love learning more about animals like polar bears as I find some reference and look more into their anatomy. I do think the hero needs something other than a sword. Giant hammer, sickle, spear...? and I'm thinking the hero and bear need some armor.

Name:  ruska_bear_hero.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  190.1 KB

Oh, the bear absolutely needs to be armored! And I like the idea of them being armed with lances. Doesn't some aspect still need to be steampunk?

Yes, light armored plates on the bear would look awesome! Give the Hero a flag, he's on a bear his mount is a weapon.

Finally! Don't make me have to re-influence you to implement all the great ideas we had back during the KS campaign :P

If you want to make a variant figure....you know...for the upcoming KS campaign....try to imagine the bear rearing up on its hind legs! (with an armored chest plate, of course)
    The Pirate Deck - Now on Kickstarter
    http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardga...he-pirate-deck

Lances would be awesome, but a hammer or sickle would be all too fitting of a USSR modeled army...

Blog Entries

I'm with Shan Morris that the bear should be the weapon.
    So maybe armored claws, the rider could be equipped with a pistol.

I'd go with a lance, but with some really deadly looking point. I would expect, though, that the hammer & sickle would show up elsewhere. Maybe in a specialized infantry unit? Or a hero unit? (Rivet Stalin?)

Oh, and I see you're toying around with different helmet ideas. Have you tried thick fur-edged?
    The Pirate Deck - Now on Kickstarter
    http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardga...he-pirate-deck

I really like the bear sketches in the inset on the right Ted. I think a long handled hammer or battle axe would be appropriate.

I also second a bear standing on his hind legs as a serparate unit! A faceplate on the bear would be great, as well as a cuirass on the standing bear. You could also add a metal gauntlet to one or both front paws on the upright bear. Give him an ability called "Berserker", where he moves into the space of the model he just killed, and can attack the next model until he fails to kill a model.

Great stuff Ted, you have such great figures. That frogman from the Thank you sketches is awesome. Can't wait to see more figures for the game!

Its not just cavalry but Russian Lancer cab with the Cpakata (or something like that) hat - which is so cool. It would also be cool to have a cab unit with the smaller bearskin with the small flap - a busby!

Quote Originally Posted by knatebaker View Post
    Yep. It's either basic cavalry, or a cavalry hero. Don't know for sure, unless Ted wants to post another concept drawing for clarification
    Sky

Rather than the Hammer and the Sickle what would you think about using Red Star / White Star? And I agree there should be a BEARzerker figure / rule. A Bearserker buff would make the most sense. If this front is going to go into urban warfare it is a must. Plus there needs to be a tile equivalent of the tractor works: A spawn point that is IN THE FIGhT!
    Sky

Another thought: the bear with armor would be a form of heavy cav. Heavy cav never used lances. So a curras on the figure would be a better match for an armored bear. The cap too would be different. I would put the figure in the sketch on something smaller and give him the lance.
    Last edited by Lance King; 02-15-2014 at 09:14 PM.
    Sky

Quote Originally Posted by Lance King View Post
    Rather than the Hammer and the Sickle what would you think about using Red Star / White Star? And I agree there should be a BEARzerker figure / rule. A Bearserker buff would make the most sense. If this front is going to go into urban warfare it is a must. Plus there needs to be a tile equivalent of the tractor works: A spawn point that is IN THE FIGhT!
    Bam! Bearzerker! Nice Lance, that is awesome. Ring that up. I think the buff character for the Bearzerkers should be a big, shirtless guy that looks like the Russian from Street Fighter...

Even though I get frustrated with CMON once in a while, I really want them to be successful. And that means making money to continue to make great games. I have been involved in the hobby industry since 1969. Yes I am a (heavy) consumer. But I have also worked for both successful and failed hobby shops, co-started my own war-game company (rules and terrain), been a dealer at a number of large gaming cons and had a number of other non-typical gamer experiences in the hobby business.

One thing that I have learned is that small companies like CMON can disappear in a flash if they are not careful. They have no corporate safety net or large cash reserves. As employees, they are certainly not over paid. They could probably make more money working for someone else. But I, for one, and glad that they don't. They love their hobby in spite of all the headaches the business and we give them. Their creativity is not squashed by the negativity we throw at them. And at the end of the day they are patient enough to answer a simple question about the rules or some other customer service issue. I have talked at length with a number of these types of business persons. Their dedication and determination are amazing. So while THEY may not take exception to the use of the word GREED, I think it is a misplaced and inappropriate term. The Kick Starter process of each project is defined by those who create the goods we want to buy. If their terms are not acceptable, then find an alternative. It is that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by daddymaykadarobots View Post
    Sky

Armor that bear up! Maybe put the sickles on the bears paws like a pair of armored gauntlets?

I almost picture a Bearzerker as an upright armored bear with a pair of bladed gauntlets running wild while we've got a handler kind of situated behind him, trying to stay out of the way of the carnage.

Either way more bears!

Yes and No. I think a BEARzerker would be up on its hind feet in a lunge position with a terrifying look on its face. But the "handler" should be a smallish rider with a terrified look on his face (he has lost control and is just along for the ride).
    Sky

Possibly make the BEARzerker mode card driven with a counter card giving extra VP for killing one.
    Sky

That would be fun!

One thing that keeps standing out to me, having been mowed down by countless Blight machinegunes, is that I want something that can circumvent traveling across the board. We need tunnelers! Too many times I've had to sacrifice piles of infantry to take those stupid guns out.