Game Depth
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game Depth

Default Game Depth

So after watching the last Battle Report and several other of the videos I have one concern regarding Wrath of Kings.
    That's Depth. Every video I've seen revolves around just kill as much as you can. Is this all the game offers? Granted I'm in neck deep as far as backing with all Factions and character upgrades... blah blah blah.
    But can a game be won by accomplishing certain schemes or whatever you wish to call them?
    I guess I really hope that Wrath of Kings offers more than one dimension of game play. With such beautiful miniatures it would seem a waste to just be a one dimensional kill everything game.

I want to clarify, I love the core mechanics, the miniatures and the direction this game is headed.

I'm just going to note two things here:

1. All the videos posted (at least recently) do not use motivations, as they where posted to display new model rules and strengths- specifically they are made to show models killing each other.

2. Each faction has access to two motivation traits, which in turn have 3 different motivations/scenarios in them, that is six different scenarios per faction. This is how the game is won or lost, as each of them causes morale loss in different ways. If you're just going to slam armies together and ignore this (keeping in note the game is specifically built around motivation completion) then its just going to end as a grind-fest with the more combat savvy/better die roll army coming out on top. The motivations specifically play to an armies strengths and ideologies to win the game, and if you and your opponent are playing with them (as you should be every game) then anyone who just tries to steamroller over another force is going to find themselves losing very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by CMON Mr. Black View Post
    I'm just going to note two things here:

1. All the videos posted (at least recently) do not use motivations, as they where posted to display new model rules and strengths- specifically they are made to show models killing each other.

2. Each faction has access to two motivation traits, which in turn have 3 different motivations/scenarios in them, that is six different scenarios per faction. This is how the game is won or lost, as each of them causes morale loss in different ways. If you're just going to slam armies together and ignore this (keeping in note the game is specifically built around motivation completion) then its just going to end as a grind-fest with the more combat savvy/better die roll army coming out on top. The motivations specifically play to an armies strengths and ideologies to win the game, and if you and your opponent are playing with them (as you should be every game) then anyone who just tries to steamroller over another force is going to find themselves losing very quickly.
    Thats nice and I understand this, but honestly the motivation in its current form in the rulebook are way out of balance. We had several testmatches in the last weeks, and everytime it was the motivations that screwed the matches. So yeah, we will use them again, once you give them a proper balance and reduce their influence in the match.

Maybe they are meant for Battle sized matches, but for Skirmishes and especially Intros they are just no fun to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanul View Post
    Thats nice and I understand this, but honestly the motivation in its current form in the rulebook are way out of balance. We had several testmatches in the last weeks, and everytime it was the motivations that screwed the matches. So yeah, we will use them again, once you give them a proper balance and reduce their influence in the match.

Maybe they are meant for Battle sized matches, but for Skirmishes and especially Intros they are just no fun to play with.

Motivations have being completely reworked and rebalanced. Should actually have them up for release today or Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by CMON Mr. Black View Post
    Motivations have being completely reworked and rebalanced. Should actually have them up for release today or Monday.
    These will be nice to have. Looks like we will have new things to test this weekend.

Is there a new write-up of how the different abilities interact? You guys have been great at letting us know when we are not playing by the RAI, it would be nice if we had a RAW that clarified interactions so that the player base stops posting problems that do not exist because of a difference in interpretation of the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Swan View Post
    You guys have been great at letting us know when we are not playing by the RAI, it would be nice if we had a RAW
    RAI? RAW?

What does it mean!?

RAI - Rules as Intended

RAW - Rules as Written

There should be an FAQ/Update that will accompany the Motivations. We have not completed the update of the rulebook, but it is in the works.
    Throne of Angels

Are you WATCHING?

AKA - AngelicOne

Quote Originally Posted by CMON Derek View Post
    There should be an FAQ/Update that will accompany the Motivations. We have not completed the update of the rulebook, but it is in the works.
    Excellent! Thanks!

Swan...your FIRED!!! :P

We'll do our best to get it up tomorrow!!
    Throne of Angels

Are you WATCHING?

AKA - AngelicOne

Hey all,

Just to let everyone know we got a few inches of snow here, which subsequently literally shuts down the entire city, it took me just over 5 hours to get home...which is about 9 miles from the office. A few of our lucky employees are actually staying at the bosses house tonight. :P

As soon as we get back to the office, we'll get the update uploaded for you guys.

Our apologies!

Oz
    Throne of Angels

Are you WATCHING?

AKA - AngelicOne

Name:  Waiting.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  35.6 KB

So, hows the traffic in Atlanta now?

Office has been closed for a few days due to the weather. It's going to be a couple more days as our graphics dept has some deadlines to catch up on for other projects.
    Throne of Angels

Are you WATCHING?

AKA - AngelicOne

Up north here, we have no comprehension that 2 inches of snow could shut down business, let alone shut for a few days! So please forgive our impatience! It is a sign of passion for the game.

Quote Originally Posted by pararamids View Post
    Up north here, we have no comprehension that 2 inches of snow could shut down business, let alone shut for a few days! So please forgive our impatience! It is a sign of passion for the game.
    Well we did get a whopping 5 inches at the office but I'm from the pacific northwest (I grew up driving to Mt. Hood every weekend), so trust me it was a major shock for me to witness. :P

We do appreciate your fervor and passion, and we do want to make sure we keep you guys updated and communicated with.
    Throne of Angels

Are you WATCHING?

AKA - AngelicOne

I figured as much. I lived in Charlotte for a while and on the rare occasion that snow fell, everything shut down for a week.

That being said, I couldn't resist the meme, since it is from one of my favorite movies

I grew up in Hawaii. I now live in Idaho where we can get 5" of snow in less than an hour this time of year. It's pretty... Until you have to drive in it. My favorite part is all the folks in SUVs who because all-wheel drive allows them to accelerate in a straight line think it's okay to drive fast without understanding the physics of 4-wheel drive being pretty useless when braking. That coupled with a high center of gravity increases the propensity for them to end up in a ditch upside down off the side of the road.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop Derek!
    EGO sum in vestri substructio caedes vestri populus!

Here you have it, my battle against Mr. Blackl. This time with motivation.

Last edited by CMON Michael Shinall; 02-04-2014 at 09:56 PM.

Nice match, couple of things I noticed.

There seems to be no loss of moral at the end of turn anymore

This game ended with the first move after moral was rolled on turn 4, which falls in line with what we have been seeing here. Games basically last 3 turns, with Initiative a major decider of the victor on turn 4. The removal of the loss of moral each turn was balanced by the use of motivations.

New cards were used (the abilities on the Vampires, and Werewolves have been adjusted), and I noticed that the new cards are up on the Web Site

And Finally, Mr. Black cheats again. When he moved the three Spearmen up to block the path of the werewolves, at least one of those spearmen were within 3" of the Blood Engine (at least it appears that way), so that guy couldn't have advanced out of the Baleful Shadows.

All in all, a good showing of the different abilities. I do like the changes made to the Goritsi cards, now I need to look through the rest to see what has changed.