Washers in the base trick

Thread: Washers in the base trick

Default Washers in the base trick

So, I'm FINALLY getting around to painting my Rivets. (swore I wouldn't start until most of my trench table was mostly finished.)

Anyway, I was delighted to find that metal washers fit so nicely under the bases for my magnetized painting stand.

Name:  IMG_4004.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  86.5 KB
    Here's my painting stand (made from an old shovel handle) with some rare earth magnets inserted within.

Name:  IMG_4002.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  97.2 KB
    Here's the washer fit perfectly over the the stud in the base. (On my Allied Infantryman.) For no particular reason, it fitting like this makes me happy. Perhaps I'm just simple.

It also gives the figures just a little more heft. I don't remember the SIZE of the washer, but just make sure that it's steel and not a zinc one. (Bring a magnet to the hardware store to be certain.)

Name:  IMG_4009.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  84.8 KB
    And here he is ready to be painted.

Only the Wolverine can't fit a washer this way, due to the stud size (!) in his base.

I used bigger washers on the larger vehicles; here's the rocketbike:
    Name:  IMG_4014.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  131.3 KB

Of course, I didn't invent this technique; it's old school for most of you, but I was just happy to see that it worked so nicely here.

Also, I'm glad to be a part of this little community. I've really enjoyed seeing your creations/ideas/painting progress here.
    Check out more Steam Crow art here!

This may be a silly question, but, why not just hold the base?

> This may be a silly question, but, why not just hold the base?

Can do. But this allows me just a little more platform to use one hand to steady the other. Rotating the fig is maybe a tad easier.

Also, if you have a magnetized strip in your toolbox figure carrier, it can be a nice way of moving your figures around. (Or you can put magnets into the bases instead, for a steel toolbox.)

I'm not suggesting that this technique is a requirement for anyone else; it's how I'm doing it.

It may be old hat to you, but us noobs lap these kind of tricks up! Thanks for sharing!

Quite a clever way of doing it! I tend to use film canisters or paint pots with either blu-tack or double-sided tape

i've attached parts to bases, or held them with pliers rubber-banded shut, and even used one of those odd alligator clip stands... but this takes the cake. gonna try it.

Also, really excited about the thought of having more weight in the base of each mini. Thanks for sharing steamcrow!

I use old pill bottles, and poster tack puddy:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Tauwolf View Post
    I use old pill bottles, and poster tack puddy:
    Nice bit of HH there

Steamcrow, great tactic, thanks for sharing!
    Any recommendations for fixatives to attach the washers?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by erniehacks View Post
    Steamcrow, great tactic, thanks for sharing!
    Any recommendations for fixatives to attach the washers?
    Superglue or fast cure (5 min) two part epoxy.

Check out more of my wife's photography at: http://thereasagwinn.com

Why choose Space Wolves over other chapters?
    ‘They are desperate, and as savage as beasts.’
    Magnus lost his smile.
    ‘I no longer think of them as animals, Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptible. Single-minded. The perfection of my father’s vision.’
    Excerpt from Battle of the Fang

Exactly, super glue works great for me!

Blog Entries

Just be careful if you are using rare earth magnets. I had some that were too large for the job (I had a Tim the Tool Man Taylor "More Power" moment!!) and they were strong enough that the superglue bond broke and pulled the washer off the base when I tired to separate it from the painting holder.

Check out more of my wife's photography at: http://thereasagwinn.com

Why choose Space Wolves over other chapters?
    ‘They are desperate, and as savage as beasts.’
    Magnus lost his smile.
    ‘I no longer think of them as animals, Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptible. Single-minded. The perfection of my father’s vision.’
    Excerpt from Battle of the Fang