New White Dwarf and Warhammer Visions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New White Dwarf and Warhammer Visions

Default New White Dwarf and Warhammer Visions

Just got my copies and I'm disappointed. These could have been great, something like Rackhams Cry Havoc, but instead it is a step backward.
    Visions is basically just lots of pictures, which would be fine if it was either cheaper, or had in depth multiple shots of Golden Demon winners, but the pics are not great. White dwarf is OK, but too few pages for the asking price and it is store only, I don't have the time to get to a store every month, let alone every week. I can see the business strategy - teenage boys, but I wonder how many of those can afford the spiralling cost of the minis, which is a shame, because I think they have some great minis.
    But they have published all white dwarf staff e-mail addresses, so we can now directly let them know where they are going wrong. The editor is jes@whitedwarf.co.uk

Edit: White Dwarf is available online, doesn't help if I want a hard copy though...
    Last edited by Trevor; 02-01-2014 at 07:58 AM.

I don't really get why did anyone have expected a mag like CryHavoc. That's what basically the normal WD should have been all along. GW never put enough work in WD to even close to that quality (PP's NQ is pretty close or even imho, so it IS doable).
    WD turned to WD-weekly (maybe a bit more content for now, but I suspect they'll go back to the WD way of it beeing a catalogue for money), visions is pictures upon pictures (which may or may not turn out to be usable), it's even described as such on the gw site.
    What's to be seen if there are enough good pics in there or still browsing the web is more useful for inspiration.

Still I'll buy this first issue, to see if it has any pic that can inspire. Then decide later. What's definite, that I won't be a subscriber.

I bought the digital version of White Dwarf and actually liked it. There are good presentations of the upcoming dwarf models and painting guides for them, which is useful for many. Then there are some new rules, which is what has been missing from WD for many years. Whether they are any good I can't say, as I don't play though. The price is appropriate for what you get.

Visions is just a horrible idea on the other hand and I wouldn't pay a dime for it.
    "Of course I'm sane, when trees start talking to me, I don't talk back."
    - Terry Pratchett, The Light Fantastic

My new painting blog - Brath's Paint Shop

People are really down on visions but to me it is fine. Although, they should feature less of the studio garbage and more golden demon stuff. We are so much better at this than they allow their studio guys to be.

It's simple really....

I was paying $10 month and it was an excuse to go to my local shop.
    WHERE I WOULD BUY STUFF !

At that price, I also didn't want to miss one. ( I have every since #180 ).

Now.....

A full commitment is at least $28/month

They are not as good as Cry Havoc, No Quarter or Game Forces.

BTW...I am 55 and a painter. I don't play the games. I do spend a lot on this hobby.

And you just lost me because you are running your company into the ground.

I really hope someone is listening......

Hi, fellow Over 50. Im new to the game with my kids who have returned to WarHammer. I've joined them now at 52 because i love the painting and now that they appreciate better painting standards #, Im happy to join in. Being Old British, Saxon/Viking/Celt its Space Wolves for me.I got both new mags and was very happy with both. But I can understand why serious gamers/painters would like more content.The painting tutorials really helped but its really all about getting newbies into the hobby. love or hate GW we all must accept GW is a business. Having paid a fortune as a parent of three sons, am pleased for the hours they spent not on the PC-Xbox or game boy.The countless hours spent gaming and laughing with buddies instead of wondering the streets moaning that they were bored. But I agree with your point.Over the years greed and complacency have swallowed this great company. PLEASE LISTEN GW.
    Oldwolfen.

i don't know who likes the warhammer visions. great to be rid of all the commercials, but really. it´s´something like 150 pages with battle shots of half assed tyranid minis. and no text whatsoever! blanchitsu and golden demon reports are the only reason i would ever buy it.

Blog Entries

Not really interested in either to be honest. I get ImagineFX fantasy art mag which is full of inspiration and the internet, watching you fellas work your magic, advert and hard sell free.....

dfb

My Gallery Here

CMON Rank: Will paint for Jelly Beans...

I'm cancelling my subscription tomorrow.
    A few years late I think, was living in some nostalgic hope but ...
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

I'm bemused by the whole thing. I love white dwarf (and have every copy to date) but i'm totally nonplussed by what they have done to it. Visions is like the hello magazine of the miniature world. There is NO content whatsoever. I appreciate the extra gold daemon pics. That was always a favourite. But there is barely a word in it. It literally took about 3 minutes to flip through.

White Dwarf weekly seems to have most of the stuff that i used to like about the magazine. But living in Dubai, its going to be real pain to get hold of.

I'm not sure that as a business strategy i see this flying. Visions is 50 per cent more expensive than the old white dwarf and then there's another 10 quid per month for the weekly. I can't see me spending more in store just because i'd have to pop in more often. As others have already said, its more likely to stop me buying the magazines altogether.

I'm really concerned that this is not only a "Shot in the foot" but one that they've taken aim on.

There are other high quality magazines with which GW need to compete, but again their ostrich in the sand mentality baffles me.
    I gave up White Dwarf a few years ago out of dissatisfaction and this is not something which sounds enough to tempt me back.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

I think they though this only to the point of:
    price of WD < price of Visions + 4x WDWeekly --> about 3 times as much profit for the same thing that was before

They probably missed the point of:
    0 content --> 0 sold = 0 profit.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    I'm really concerned that this is not only a "Shot in the foot" but one that they've taken aim on.

There are other high quality magazines with which GW need to compete, but again their ostrich in the sand mentality baffles me.
    I gave up White Dwarf a few years ago out of dissatisfaction and this is not something which sounds enough to tempt me back.
    I would have to echo these questions also. I really cannot get my head around the logic on what they have done. If they think offering a magazine that people have to come in the store for will get people to buy other stuff whilst there I think they will find they are mistaken. I would say to them to just make a hobby catalogue, sorry magazine, that has some actual useful content, some really nice photos of the models, by their fans and their staff, some articles and make it of comparable quality to other products. Thats all they need to do. At a reasonable price.

dfb

My Gallery Here

Right going to throw my hat in here too.

1)bring back heavy metal master class
    2) show minis that look aspirational rather than they have been dipped in cold porridge and called done so the little kids don't cry when they can't instantly paint as well as that.
    3) interesting and useful articles that the players out there can appreciate rather than the unbalanced drivel they put out currently
    4) don't charge the earth for it and don't take heavy metal just do you can charge a few more bucks for a separate hm book.

Do this and it will be good don't and we'll it's the pants piece of crap it is now.
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

Quote Originally Posted by S Dalsgaard View Post
    I bought the digital version of White Dwarf and actually liked it. There are good presentations of the upcoming dwarf models and painting guides for them, which is useful for many. Then there are some new rules, which is what has been missing from WD for many years. Whether they are any good I can't say, as I don't play though. The price is appropriate for what you get.

Visions is just a horrible idea on the other hand and I wouldn't pay a dime for it.
    The WD weekly is more of the same as the "old" WD. A sales pitch through and through.

The only difference is that you pay more for the same.
    The odds of succesfully finishing this miniature is 3720:1

Quote Originally Posted by dogfacedboy uk1 View Post
    Not really interested in either to be honest. I get ImagineFX fantasy art mag which is full of inspiration and the internet, watching you fellas work your magic, advert and hard sell free.....

dfb
    for truly artistic inspiration i drool on my keyboard while looking here:

http://www.puttyandpaint.com
    The odds of succesfully finishing this miniature is 3720:1

I've been a subscriber for a few years - OK quite a few years... and my brother has too (I pay for it for his birthday).

I agree with most of the comments so far. The weekly White Dwarf is actually quite good, it's got quite a bit of reading material in, the right amount of information on new releases and I quite like the idea that we get rules again. My FLGS (which is a toy shop) isn't stocking it and the only online version is an epub so I can't see me physically being able to get it - plus I don't have time to waste every weekend picking it up.

Warhammer Visions on the other hand. The format is just horrible - it's roughly 10" across and multi-lingual. Everything seems to blend into one horrific blur of content - there was a battle report in the middle that I didn't realise was a battle report. The "magazine" page isn't physically large enough for high quality pictures and having three blocks of tiny text is just nasty. The double page spreads mean that you have to break the perfect-bound spine to see it and will still have a bit that you won't see. Basically the whole thing has been designed for the iPad and printed out. I let my girlfriend look through it and her overall comment was "the vast majority of miniatures are actually not very well painted". If they had a couple of 'Eavy Metal painting guides in then I'd say it would be worth the cover price but it has the crappy Paint Splatter instead. I'd also say that this isn't a magazine, it's basically a mini-Argos catalogue of random miniatures. The text doesn't even explain how to achieve different paint effects.

I'm still on a £3/issue subscription so I'm reluctant to stop it, but personally the new formats aren't going to last the test of time. WH Visions is awful and everybody I've spoken to has agreed. The distribution of the weekly WD is going to do more harm than good - I fully expect a digital one to appear within a month else both are going to die a death. I give WH Visions 6 months at the absolute top.

I also don't really get the point of that Visions. It could be better with (more) very good/excellent -quality works and/or pics of GD winners, pics of interesting armies* by gamers and 'eavy metal team, converting and sculting articles etc. Now it just seems to offer pics of lame studio 'nids from different points of view. How about getting some of the readers posting their pics as well? There would be more material if that would be only like 6 times per year and not every month.

*this doesn't mean automatically cmon 8 to 10 level paint job, but something else than those boring studio armies.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marjedi View Post
    for truly artistic inspiration i drool on my keyboard while looking here:

http://www.puttyandpaint.com

Yeah I been there to! Problem is, at one stage I was visiting a lot of forums and decided it was taking too much time following them all, hunting for good WIP threads to watch. so now I keep my posting largely here. When I am working on projects, I post in a forum that is dedicated to that army type (where GW stuff is concerned) in addition to here. I know I can get some good to the point feedback on Frothers forum to.

dfb

My Gallery Here

HI
    Can you guys please recommend other sites and magazines other than the two I have just purchased ?