New Gameplay Video is up! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Gameplay Video is up!

Quote Originally Posted by feketelovag View Post
    At the 27min mark could those spearmen actually go and attack that skorza due to the Baleful Shadows on the Blood Engine? Shouldnt that ability have prevented at least 1 of the spearmen from advancing towards the skorza since he was definitely within 3" of the Blood Engine?
    When I brought this up Mr. Black stated that in a scene that was cut they actually measured for Baleful Shadows, and the Spearman was just outside of the aura.

@ Lord ThornShadow That's a funny story. I totally agree with your daughter, I am a big Kate Beckinsale fan (who isn't) . For what is worth, I have never watched any of the twilight movies. I just thought it would be funny to use that as a joke and troll Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by borg View Post
    @ Lord ThornShadow That's a funny story. I totally agree with your daughter, I am a big Kate Beckinsale fan (who isn't) . For what is worth, I have never watched any of the twilight movies. I just thought it would be funny to use that as a joke and troll Michael.
    I thought it was hilarious in your video. As for me, I sat through the first Twilight movie with my daughters...

2 hours of my life I really wish I had back.
    EGO sum in vestri substructio caedes vestri populus!

Back on topic, for the morale issue, what if when a player gets to zero morale, they get one more activation to see if they can zero out their opponent, sort of a last act of defiance.

If they do succeed in zeroing the opponent, then the game could be called a draw, or players can take turns moving morale into the negative and keep going until one side succeeds and the other doesn't.

Last Great Act of Defiance - When a player who does not have initiative for this turn reaches 0 Morale, and they still have unactivated models this turn, they may use one last activation in an attempt to demoralize their opponent. If during this activation they cause the opposing player (who has the initiative this turn) to reach 0 Morale, then the game ends in a tie. Alternatively, players may agree to continue the turn until one side pushes the other to negative morale and the other player is unable to equal this feat. If the turn ends and neither player has a clear victory, the game is a draw.
    Last edited by Lord ThornShadow; 02-06-2014 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Added potential wording for the rule

Sorry for 3 posts in a row, but here's my only other suggestion for the morale/initiative issue...

Do away with the initiative roll entirely, except for the turns when morale is tied. All other turns the player with the lowest morale has initiative.

While this won't fix a 1-1 tie being decided by the initiative roll, it'll mitigate a 2-1 situation and keep a person in the game who might be getting stomped every turn from one bad die roll at the start of each turn.

Also, from a RL perspective, it's easier to command a smaller number of troops in a shorter time, (less pass it down the line orders), than a large force, so this would make sense to me.

Combined with my last suggestion (Last great act of defiance), it might work out really well.

I really like the lower morale going first. Dust Warfare does something similar, and it keeps players engaged, because you always feel like you're still in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord ThornShadow View Post

Last Great Act of Defiance - When a player who does not have initiative for this turn reaches 0 Morale, and they still have unactivated models this turn, they may use one last activation in an attempt to demoralize their opponent. If during this activation they cause the opposing player (who has the initiative this turn) to reach 0 Morale, then the game ends in a tie. Alternatively, players may agree to continue the turn until one side pushes the other to negative morale and the other player is unable to equal this feat. If the turn ends and neither player has a clear victory, the game is a draw.
    What about taking the motivations into account? Say the Morale was 1 for Hadross and 2 for Goritsi in the latest video. Goritsi just needs to eliminate 1-2 more units for the morale loss to trigger, winning him the game. Hadross just needs to get to a holy site and defile it with a leader to score minus 2 morale, winning him the game. If the Hadross is positioned well, having the lower morale would give him the advantage going into the final turn.

Quote Originally Posted by blkdymnd View Post
    I really like the lower morale going first. Dust Warfare does something similar, and it keeps players engaged, because you always feel like you're still in it.
    Exactly! In literally 100s of games of DW I've played or TO'd, I've only seen 2 complete ROFL-Stomps. The rest have been real nail-Biters.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavarir View Post
    If the Hadross is positioned well, having the lower morale would give him the advantage going into the final turn.

Positioning yourself well to benefit from a rule is kind of the point isn't it?

It shouldn't come down to who gets the better die roll.

I appreciate giving the lower moral crew an advantage on initiative, but really cannot support automatically giving the lower moral crew initiative. With the addition of motivations that can drop your opponents moral 6-7 points in a single activation, this just doesn't seem like a good idea.

As for ending the game when one player reaches 0 morale, I like that aspect of the game also. It gives you a target to try and achieve, and shows when the opponent becomes so demoralized that they rout. Not understanding a need to have an arbitrary ending point (end of turn), or a need to give the player that lost a "second" chance to balance the scales and go for a draw. With the removal of end of turn we basically removed the draw from the game, which I think is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord ThornShadow View Post

Positioning yourself well to benefit from a rule is kind of the point isn't it?

It shouldn't come down to who gets the better die roll.
    So now lowest morale wins instead of relying on a die roll? Providing the game is close and players know what they are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavarir View Post
    So now lowest morale wins instead of relying on a die roll? Providing the game is close and players know what they are doing.
    Yes, if you ignore the other rule I recommended using in conjunction with it. Which I don't support.

Having said that, I do see your point, and it's a good one. But I'm not seeing any better yet, so until then I don't know what to tell you.

@ Swan - So you're not at all concerned every gameplay video and game report has come down to one die roll?!?!?!

Why play the game at all. Just roll a d10 each, high die wins.

Having said that, I definitely wasn't considering the new motivations. Having not read them yet, I'm somewhat shocked to hear 6-7 points could be removed at once. That is alarming.

And a dilemma for which I don't have an answer.
    Last edited by Lord ThornShadow; 02-06-2014 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Forgot some stuff

Well, this has been a concern since the release of the new cards, but again, each game coming down to the initiative roll (which BTW I would say most, but not all were won on the initiative die) were without the new motivations (barring the last video, but since a lot of the choices made in that battle were done to show various units abilities, so had questionable game play choices being made, so I don't think that we can call that one a fair example of how competitive play will work), so I would say you are correct, I am not at all concerned every gameplay video and game report has come down to one die roll.

When we played with the original version with the original motivations the initiative roll was important, but rarely was the single die roll that determined victory.

The previous game reports were great to show possible issues of units, and as we have seen many units have been updated. I don't think that using those games as reason to change the initiative rules makes a lot of sense. Since we now have a new piece of the puzzle (updated motivations) we can see if games are still coming down to a single die roll. Having something else to do besides smashing into one another, and the delay to count down the morale clock is a good thing.

Makes sense. And I need to read the motivations. It'll be at least another week before I can apply any of it though, big 3-day snowstorm hitting us tonight. Doubt anyone will be up for driving to the FLGS Saturday.
    Last edited by Lord ThornShadow; 02-06-2014 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Grammar

Very nicely produced VID. Loved how you showed the cards, the portions of the cards that mattered, etc.

One item though, next time could you highlight or explain more when there is a swap or reduction of some of the armor scores? Like when they would state "need a 4, 8, 9, 10", I had to explain to other's what that meant and why (since I've read the rules and was showing the vid to those who I want to gain interest in the game).

But otherwise, this was awesome and I thoroughly enjoyed watching it.

1. SO in a combined activation after moving, you could do different actions? SOme units sprinted, some units attacked, and some assisted is a possible combined activation?

2. Hadross player was not using the training and inspire given by the leader. - they could have moved 2" toward the skorsha who was resonated. When the blood engine was killed, again they could have moved another 2".