Twisting brush to maintain a pointy tip

Thread: Twisting brush to maintain a pointy tip

KaiLoq

Default Twisting brush to maintain a pointy tip

What's everyone's opinion on rotating your brush, either while drying it after washing out the paint or on the edge of your pallet right after loading it with paint, in order to create a fine tip? I've come across quite a few mixed opinions on this matter. Some people claim you should never do this because it destroys the brush, while others hail it as the best way to maintain it.

If you don't do this, what is your technique to maintain/create a fine tip then? Some of my brushes' tips disappears immediately when lower them into my jar of water. Should I just try to form a tip with my fingers? Or are these just bad brushes?

Finally, I know brush-licking is a fail proof way to maintain a tip, but I'm not comfortable doing that considering some of the pigments used in most paints (notably reds and yellows), which is a real pity...

Give it a sharp flick after rinsing it, got this from watching a video from agproductions on YouTube.

Unless you're using traditional artist's oils any acrylic paint you buy should be non toxic. Brush licking isn't gonna be the death of you.

I've rotated my tip for 40+ years and not had a problem.
    However I used good quality Sable brushes and carry out periodic cleaning maintenance with brush soap and warm water.
    Brush licking, well I suppose its a bad habit, hell I even do it with my watercolour brushes………………Yeah I live on the edge!
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

I just shape my brush tip with my lips after cleaning it. Gives it that perfect pointy tip.

But make sure you rinse it thoroughly. Masters Brush Cleaner doesn't taste all that great.

Okay, so it's still a proxy for brush licking, but I lick the crease in my hand (that one under your pinky) and then drag the brush through there to shape the tip.
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Also make sure you've not been eating or drinking something sweet before licking your brush

Howdy!

This doesn't sound like a good idea at all to me, but if it works for you? Your decision. I use the join between my thumb and hand -- or -- the crease straight across my hand when I bend all my straightend fingers over. Typically I just place the brush tip in the appropriate area, close up the thumb/bend over the fingers, open, turn the brush if necessary, open up again (maybe turn again if necessary), and take the brush out. I know the licking trick, but just prefer not to use it. This works great for any brushes I own that are better than average. Nice points on all after years of using the method.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiLoq View Post
    What's everyone's opinion on rotating your brush, either while drying it after washing out the paint or on the edge of your pallet right after loading it with paint, in order to create a fine tip? I've come across quite a few mixed opinions on this matter. Some people claim you should never do this because it destroys the brush, while others hail it as the best way to maintain it.

If you don't do this, what is your technique to maintain/create a fine tip then? Some of my brushes' tips disappears immediately when lower them into my jar of water. Should I just try to form a tip with my fingers? Or are these just bad brushes?

Finally, I know brush-licking is a fail proof way to maintain a tip, but I'm not comfortable doing that considering some of the pigments used in most paints (notably reds and yellows), which is a real pity...

Hey, this sounds like a great idea! I'll have to try it out post haste. :-) Thanks!

I rotate many of my brushes and have never had a problem with them. If twisting is a concern, I draw the brush straight over an absorbent paper towel, lift it, roll it slightly in my fingers, and draw again. Four or five times is enough to point the whole brush without twisting the hairs.

"Non toxic" is not a legally defined term in the US. All it means is that a substance has not been definitely determined to be toxic. That includes every chemical which has never been tested, which is most of them.

I wouldn't get paintbrushes anywhere near my mouth or lips.

Quote Originally Posted by Pygmalion View Post
    I wouldn't get paintbrushes anywhere near my mouth or lips.
    The brushes are fine, it's the tumbler of enamel you need to worry about

Some tips i share with you..
    1.do not over bend the brush into the paint
    2.Do not use your art brush into other places

This is a bit off topic, but if I have a long 10-0 brush (or finer) where the tip has bent due to leaving it soak too long, how can I straighten the brush? Licking it tends to straighten it a bit, but not all the way. Although sometimes it's handy to have a curved tip to get into those nooks and crannies that would otherwise be inaccessable!

Sounds like you have a rigger brush. Try using some fancy shampoo and conditioner on it. I shampoo my brushes, then rinse in cold water, then add my wife's fanciest conditioner and let it sit for. 1-2 hours before cold rinsing it as well. Takes care of banana brush for me.

http://www.winsornewton.com/assets/L...ooklet_eng.pdf

Check out page 8, under "Pointing your brush - when painting." Even W&N says it's okay to twist the head to get a perfect point.