Glue?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glue?

Default Glue?

So I've acquired a set of reaper paints for my WOK minis...without the wife knowing. I have only worked with metal miniatures and use super glue "cyanoacrylate" I've heard mention of "plasitic glue" too. Will both work? Is there a better glue? Do the CMON guys know what kind of plastic the miniatuers have been finalized with and what's best?

"plastic glue" is basically a solvent for polystyrene. It works very well for PS models because the two surfaces basically merge together instead of having a layer of adhesive between the two pieces being joined. But whether or not it is a good idea for WoK depends on whether or not the WoK models are polystyrene, which I do not know.

they are not polystyrene afaik, so stay with superglue for them.

better: well, IF you can wait the 5-20 minute until it sets, then the 2 component epoxy glues are really good too. The bond is stronger than superglue. The only real downside is the time it needs to bond.

During the Kickstarter I asked CMON if I could use plastic glue for the minis and they said yes.

So they must be made of polystyrene, I guess.

I personally prefer gel-based superglue for resin and plastics. It sets very quickly and fills in the inevitable gaps on the bigger models nicely.
    EGO sum in vestri substructio caedes vestri populus!

A few models just happen to cross my desk today for a QA pass, I'll try and do a quick test and see how the plastic glue works.
    Throne of Angels

Are you WATCHING?

AKA - AngelicOne

Great! Thanks for the response.

I'm taking a guess, but with plastic that bends means that the super glue may not work as well due to that super glue once cured is inflexible. The plastic glue seems to be a good idea if it works....there are also two different plastics for the miniatures, so I'm not sure is the plastic glue will work. Although I didn't want the hassle of mixing it and dealing with the fumes, two part epoxy may be the best glue.

Of course I could be over thinking it and the super glue is fine too.
    Last edited by Maverick_; 02-10-2014 at 09:44 PM.

Can you share with us what polymer is used to create the models?

E
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick_ View Post
    ...and the super glue is fine too.
    It's worked great for me for years, but I'm using Zap Gel-Based super glue (PT-26 iirc), which is more flexible when set and fills gaps.
    EGO sum in vestri substructio caedes vestri populus!

Quote Originally Posted by CMON Derek View Post
    A few models just happen to cross my desk today for a QA pass, I'll try and do a quick test and see how the plastic glue works.
    And how did it work out?

Quote Originally Posted by Teskal View Post
    And how did it work out?
    I don't recall which model I used the glue on, but I don't have anything that's fallen apart or melted on my desk. :P

I'll do something specific this weekend and put it on my vlog for you.
    Throne of Angels

Are you WATCHING?

AKA - AngelicOne

Always a fan of Derek Vlogs (which is funny to write, given that my first name is Derek also). If you are doing tests and feeling generous can you see how the material reacts to paints, primed vs unprimed? I assume the body material would be similar construction as super dungeon explore minis (fairly hard) with the bendy bits being closer to reaper bones. those two and myth are the only plastic minis I have experience with sadly. You know I'll watch the vlog with or without paint details because it is WoK and I'm the same nut that was facebook stalking the CMoN expo scouring for pictures of anything WoK related.

Hey Keats - in my last video you can see how paint reacts when primed (it's no different then the resin honestly) on the Union Worker models I painted up. There are a couple in there that are production models - the one dual wielding swords and the one with the armor plates on his chest/belly as well as one of the ones with a the arms wide with a shield.

I'll apply some paint to a model on video that isn't primed for you though and I still owe you a shot of the staff on the Rathor also.
    Throne of Angels

Are you WATCHING?

AKA - AngelicOne

You owe me nothing, thank you for all the involvement! Looking forward to it.

Yes sir, his vlog is called Throne of Angels its on Youtube and has a growing following.

Additionally I occassionally put videos up too. I haven't in a very long time as I have been super busy. Mostly my channel is about altering MTG cards previously as that was one of the things I used to do prior to working for CMON. However I am going to start putting up mini conversion painting stuff as well once I get my WOK in too =).
    Mine is --> EvilNerINC

It is certainly no requirment for work or anything, something some of us here to do to make time for our hobbies outside of work!

Thanks, was searching 'Derek Vlogs'. Was not a good idea. :-)
    I saw already few videos from ToA. I think I should check both vlogs sometimes. :-) Will you convert some of the WoK minis?

@Teskal, yes I love converting minis. It is actually one of my favorite parts of the hobby next to playing. Painting minis is fun but really doing some custom positioning or variance to the sculpt makes them my own I feel. So I will show how I actually do so. I always use the basic version of the miniature and then either with plasticard/ sculpty or even bits from other miniatures come up with fun conversions. Personally my goal is to make it look like it belonged on the mini in the first place.

Watching ThroneofAngels 30 on the tv instead of on the cellphone is a much better experience. To have a job where you can just go to the back room and grab amazing bases must be awesome. Related to the OP, when I first started painting minis I would paint the pieces first then assemble, but I've moved to assembly first now and think that's easier. I use regular super glue and haven't had any problems. Hope those custom gear bases come to retail, those are really nice! I will check out some CMON Leif videos later today. Thanks for all you guys do.