Persifal's Nest - Page 6
Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Persifal's Nest

I have the same feelings about the mix of colors, but I think I stay with gold, because it stick better with the rest of gold from the front. Yea, cooper must be eliminated

Im really liking the copper. It wouldnt hurt to leave the odd copper plate, it adds to the detail and draws the eye.
    Your style of painting is just how I like to paint. With a few more glazes and tighter blends you will be right on sprokets heels
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

I don't know . Not only you here, but in my local community someone said leave it, someone said remove cooper. The lazier in me will win, maybe
    And glazes are one of my weakness. I'm not patient enough for it. I'm usually making mistakes with quantity of water and damaging surface and I must repair a lot. Lots of new skills before me. And no, Sprokets have the league himself. As I wrote in his thread, he made color schema, I'm only copying colors and work of others... I changed official colors a little and I'm in trouble

Hm. With glazes put very little paint on the brush, test on for example your thumb for consistency and be absolutely sure that each layer dry completely. I would do that for the lighting effect for example, more predictable in some cases compared to mixing.

I think your WIP pictures are very very nice. What is your lighting setup? Looks like daylight almost.

The theory about glazing is known to me, but results are not good enough. Patience is missing

My light setup, I have light/photo tent and 2x lamps with almost white light(sr don't know parameters, I'm not at home actually). I have problems with white balance on my camera and I must correct some colors levels in GIMP on every photo. It moves lightness of photos too.

The lamps have 5500K, after some googling, it said a daylight

And the Captain goes to finish! Almost. Some glazes missing on the hammer, I must repaint energetic effect and of course the cloak with some decent freehand. And the iron halo, I completely forgot on it. And base of course. Somebody said, it goes to finish? AAAA... AAAAAAA...

Blood Angels Captain WIP by Tomas Persifal Pekar, on Flickr

He looks really great ! The gems and the lenses stand out to me the most, they looks so realistic.

Thanks! The work on the gems I enjoyed most. Painting gems is simple for me and essential for painter of Citadel miniatures, it's same as skulls.

Geez, I've never been a fan of Blood Angels, and wasn't particularly taken with this model but your work is rapidly changing my opinion. I love the red of the armour especially: so rich and the positioning of the reflections is absolutely perfect. Can't wait to see how you handle the cape.

Yea, GW models are weird but have some fans as me The formula for my bright red color is bright , ehm Fire Dragon Bright and Luggnath Orange with red glaze. I discovered it on testing colors recommended in the White Dwarf.

Very good mate, smooth and sharp just like me
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill

Shot buddy. Out standing the hammer, came up fantastic payed of with the different types of nmm. I think you managed to hit another level with this one.

Thanks to both. My laziness won and third metallic surface stays on the Hammer.
    I'm working on the base and the cloak. What do you say about dark violet cloak? My first choice was black cloak, but violet will give some variation to the surface.

I actually like a lot of the GW miniatures, but sometimes they do bring out the odd dud and the odd mini that just doesn't appeal (as do all companies). However, I think their quality and appeal over the past 25+ years have been generally higher than most companies, and though they have been on a bit of a 'bigature' binge of late (most of which have been pretty good in my opinion) they still make plastic do amazing things.
    Thanks for the red advice - I've stopped using GW paints as a whole as they just dry out too darn fast in this climate so I'll try and find some matches in the Vallejo range.
    And a violet cape? Should look great on the piece - can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Persifal View Post
    The theory about glazing is known to me, but results are not good enough. Patience is missing

My light setup, I have light/photo tent and 2x lamps with almost white light(sr don't know parameters, I'm not at home actually). I have problems with white balance on my camera and I must correct some colors levels in GIMP on every photo. It moves lightness of photos too.
    Thanks! I need to have a better setup, my photos are good for most things but can be improved by better lighting. You can't adjust white balance manually?

Sure, I tried a lot of different attempts to manual setup of white balance but this is best what I was able to achieve.

I did some work on the base today. I think, it not good and something missing. Lack of contrast beat this down. It seems, I need serious help, so any advice will be great! As you can see, the crushing claw has violet and red on the large surface and so violet cloak on the Captain is not good choice, I think.

Base for the Captain, WIP by Tomas Persifal Pekar, on Flickr

No C&C from you, so I had help myself. I added more contrast to almost all parts of the base. But something still missing. What do you think?

Still needs darker shadows in place's also take a photo with the mini temporary in place to get the composition / feel correct.
    98% done imo :good :

Thanks ten. Yea, I must finish the work on the cloak a set all parts together. I hope this weekend will be last for this mini, but lots of work must be done.