Persifal's Nest - Page 7
Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Persifal's Nest

Sorry Persifal been afk for afew days. I think that looks pretty dam good, as 10 said darker on the recesses and shadows and you have a winner, I like the free hand there too. maybe add a stripe or some sort of hazards markings on the concrete to add a bit more. have a look at artur's work you will get the idea of what I mean.

For me it feels a little too clean for the state of disrepair it's in. Maybe some discolouration where the iron bars are sticking out from and some more dust/dirt in the crevasses. It may just but that the base doesn't gel until we get a good look at the full composition. Also, as 10 said, the shadows could do with being a bit darker in place. Still an impressive base and will look great with the captain on it.

No problem Canny, you are not alone here . Thank you both for advice. Stripes are good one.
    I worked on the cloak today. I painted BA logo there, it was very difficult to mirror left side of the wings to right. Ehm, it was difficult paint one side itself.

I finished freehand on the cloak. I had make some photo and not too happy with result. What do you think?
    Blood Angels Captain WIP, freehand by Tomas Persifal Pekar, on Flickr

Nothing wrong with it at all mate. Just darken the greys on the wings in places to increase the contrast.
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

I can see the What your not liking, it's Dam good just a few touch ups beteeen the ba symbol. preserver to harden up the edges. Looking Dam good other wise.

That is top notch. This is going to be fantastic when you put it all together.

Finally, mini on the base, but still WIP. I added a dark wash to dark corners. If you agree, still not enough. Top of the base was too flat to my taste so I added some brash there. The Captain still missing his Iron halo, which is my nightmare. Small chalice with smaller corona and the smallest thorns, great thing to paint nmm on them .

Blood Angels Captain still WIP by Tomas Persifal Pekar, on Flickr
    Blood Angels Captain still WIP by Tomas Persifal Pekar, on Flickr

Hi Per, that's coming along great I feel the connection between base and mini is lacking. A small section of worn chipped red paint on the sides of pillars each side of the Eagle free hand will bind the two and inhance the over all composition. Beautiful work afew finishing touches and you're set for a very high score and a good chance at repeating your demon

Persifal, I followed closely your dwarf slayer last year, and I've been going through the threads today looking for more great artists to follow. I love your work, and I love your clean paint jobs. Great free hand on the cape. Lovely work overall. You should be very pleased with your results. I wish you success at the next GD. Didn't the dwarf win you a bronze? You are only getting better my friend.
    ​You are ranked 1 out of 9149 artists.
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

BTW- AndyG if you are following. This is how your reds should look
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

Yep that's right!
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

Please note that I couldn't do my reds like this. I always darken my reds so that Persifal's midtone is my highlight. But what I take away from the excellent example above is that the highlights are okay being slightly orange or pink, but they should take up such a small area that it doesn't change the overall redness of the entire piece. Make sense anybody?

Thanks Canny, but I have not same point of view about red on the base. I had very good red on the Claw, but I hide it under pigments to make base more monochromatic to compare rich colors of the terminator.

Thanks BloodFather . The Slayer took a silver, it will be very difficult to beat it. Anyway I don't know if this model will be my entry to the GD. It It is far from now.
    I must agree with you about majority of the red. In highlighting the red, we have many possibilities how to highlight red.
    First adding only white, result is pink leading to white cold highlight. Second is adding only yellow to red, result is orange leading to yellow warm highlight. Third that I used, orange and orange with added small amount of white to sharpen highlights.

Ah, thanks Persifal for letting us know how you highlighted this. It is a great mystery for many of us on how to properly highlight red. I know that I struggle with this But yes, it appears that you should perhaps use a slightly darker than standard, old fashioned red as your mid tone. Then the standard red is first level of highlifhts. Then this orange into red is the second highlight, taking up very very little space. Finally, orange with white takes a few dots inside of the last highlight. Yes?

Another alternative for red is to not use any mixes of orange, yellow, flesh, or anything. Instead, one could simply use VMC White Glaze and selectively highlight in areas. I've seen this done to great effect before. I've seen it used by those amazing artist that don't even mix their colors and slowly blend them in, but instead just glaze dark colors for their shadows and white for their highlights, directly over a gradient of the mid tone.

It took Silver in single fantasy? That is quite the achievement! A very challenging category. Was Ten Ball's Demon in the same category?

Teach me Persifal. Teach me
    Last edited by BloodFather of Kharnath; 02-12-2015 at 01:56 PM.

I think with the base you need on incorporate another color(s) .
    I would go with and orange red pigment dusted in a few selected places .
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

I still don't know. I still thinking that less colors will be better. Hm, I must try something.

My recipe for red is not simple as it looks. Basic colors are Citadel red colors. I used airbrush to make layers Mephiston Red and Evil Sunz Scarlet, as you can see on the early WIP's. For highlight I used Fire Dragon Bright, usually mixed with ESS. This is very bright so I made glaze from ESS and I glazed it over all highlight. It knocked down intensity of the highlight so I applied orange highlight again in a smaller area and glazed with red again. For most sharp lights I used Citadel Edge color with name Lugganath Orange, sometimes glazed with red too. For shadows I used mix of MR with black, Rhinox Hide or Dark Angels Green. This is a tale of this red armor.

Thank you for the explanation my friend. Something I need to get better at when introducing suddenly bright colors: intensify, knock back with glaze. Intensify, knock back with glaze...smaller areas with brighter intensifications each time.

For the base I agree with Ten. But I see what you are after. You want the red explosion of color coming from a relatively monochrome base, which seems cool in theory, but some orangey rusty dusting would look incredible, me thinks.