Persifal's Nest - Page 10
Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Persifal's Nest

Thanks Canny! This face is the most time consume detail of all my models so far! Especially eyes, I tried some reflections on them but this simple version is much better from most angles.

Thanks Skel, I'm afraid this classic blue, red and white combination is much better It is copy of the paint of Angel

Thanks Maenas. Because my specialization to GW models, I make this as a test model of some new ideas and my new Scale 75 nmm set.

I fully agree with the choice of flag for this mini! The swedish flag has a horrid combination of colors:P The infinity range is pretty cool actually.

The swedish colors have no chance for me, they defeated us in Ice Hockey, but it was close

Joan looks great. Love the smooth transitions on the red and the face is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Persifal View Post
    Gandalf, you mean cloak of Captain, isn't it? Good question, how? I don't know, because I missed a right position in first attempt and I had repaint it almost whole. I tried imagine, how cloak wrinkles(?) and where is the middle. I tried made some points and draw basic shapes. I have lack of drawing skills, so I had repair a lots of shapes and lines. The black base of the cloak helped me many. Rest of it is only painting as normal with exception the flat surface .

Thanx Canny, I'm not planning use pure black on the armor and white only as final highlights. Yea Angel's book is good inspiration source. I tried follow his direction, but his using of airbrush is madness. I'm miles away from his skills with airbrush. I tried make some final highlights and totally ruined three previous layers. So almost all of highlights are made by brush on my model.
    About book. I have only book Eavy Metal Masterclass and Angel's book, so not too much compare, how this books must looks like. It is first Angel's book and I think some mistakes were made.
    1. Instructions follow all painting steps, but on many pictures are visible changes, not mentioned in the text and most of them are ignored completely. It is understandable, because of complexity of some models, but he often repeating same steps again and for some parts is no place there.
    2. I feel some pictures should be bigger, some should be smaller with focus to one part.
    3. If I'm right, it is eleven tutorials there and three of them are ugly busts. Biggest error for me. He is known for his Infinity models, maybe he can prove, that it is not about them. Unnecessary.
    4. He showing some nice converted models(tags), but no unpainted ones are visible there, so conversions are hidden.
    If you moved over this, it is good book. Especially with the miniature of Joan .
    Very good review. Thank you for this.
    ​You are ranked 1 out of 9149 artists.
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

Thanks KruleBear!
    You are welcome Blood

Next project is sneaking throw shadows to save galaxy

VOted buddy Great work. You could swap it for angels one and no one would know!

Thanks Canny and others for comments and votes. Thanks gods, Angel's style is different a little His airbrushing is madness...

Quote Originally Posted by Persifal View Post
    Joan in the gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/379074. I trying luck with votes after some time.
    We are battling right next to each other in the gallery! You are stealing my views!!! Hehehe
    ​You are ranked 1 out of 9149 artists.
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

Fantastic piece! So smooth and clean.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodFather of Kharnath View Post
    We are battling right next to each other in the gallery! You are stealing my views!!! Hehehe
    No, you steal my voters

Thanks oistene!

I must say, painting black/grey color is very difficult for me.The work on Assassins don't goes well. And New and notable spot for my Joan means big dropping of score for her. Only Czech Republic ice hockey team makes me happy these days ...

Haters gonna hate. Or as they said in ye olde tymes:

Your work is solid
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Its a mixed bag getting to be in top in last 7 days, Some people appreciate it others knock it. I picked up Angels book, I'm undecided at the mo Its good but not quite gritty enough for a higher-intimediate painter, and you get a lot of SBS from his facebook page. Amazing his AB skills! Got the mini too she is pretty small adds more appreciation to her face. As Zab said SOLID.

@Zab:

@Canny: You shared my feelings about book, it's good, nothing special.

I'm still not able to get to the Putty&Paint. It is someone with free access key here? It is difficult to get there, just trying

I will share my feelings on the book too, because I yesterday received my copy of the "Figone light and colour" one and now I can compare both.

I found Figone helps me more with just the five! first pages than the whole book of Angel. This is because maybe I am too "noob" or too low a level painter to appreciate Angel's work more properly. I also find the English on Angel's book is not of the best quality, and even though I am not a native English I can feel that, and I am not sure he has hired a good or professional translator for doing the work. That said, I think the level of language is obviously good enough to make you understand what he is trying to explain.

I will also point out that Angel's is not for begginers, because with those series of SBS you need to "analyse and study and do the hard work" on your side, I mean he is just saying mix vallejo refXXXXX + vallejo refYYY and not explaining why or how you need to do that on most of the cases, so you need to study and compare the info given on the series of pictures too, to get the idea of what you need to do to follow the method he uses, and that is airbrush plus brush for almost a 95% if not all of it.

On the other hand it is completely directed to infinity and SCI-FI models, so you got tons of info on painting mecha armours, and if you are more fantasy oriented like me, you would probably get a little bit disenchanted, because oh yes you have some skin and textils here and there but, that's it. Ah! the book also has a SBS on two busts, but I find them... ungraceful.

So I am sharing most if not all of the thoughts that persifal put in here some posts ago. In fact I would point out: buy Figone and or Betty edward's first if you are aiming to improve your skills with light/contrast/colour mixing, then, when you have practised or feel like you need some SBS on SCIFI models and some nice hints on using the airbrush and masking, go and buy Angel's book and, at that point (wich I stil haven't achieved) you will probably appreciate it more.

And sorry for putting this long post here, but I found it was on the line with the critique's on Giraldez book.
    WIP thread. / Cmon Gallery / Instagram

I agree Bettys book is golden, best book out there for learning color theory, also do the lessons in the book that are kinda simple in your head but actually doing them is a good challenge. Figopedia is much more valuable too, similar to bettys as its theory not sbs but has a deeper focus of applying light and color to miniatures for effect.

I think all peps on the forums would like to have a deeper understanding of how to paint and why than a do this and that. Angels book is still good and I enjoyed it and the sbs I was just hoping for more. Love his style and will be practicing it.

There is also a cursed monkey book that I have watched the video on. (If I was not on my phone I would link it) that looks like an in between of theory and sbs. Any one read that one? With sculpting too.

One people are idiots plain english when they do it to me I consider it a compliment...they hate my work so much they have to sabotage it...I call new and notables -the shooting gallery !!hang in there your the one in it.and published in books like white dwarf and you have demon statuettes....don't even let the faceless cowards bother you bud.I also swear by Betty Edwards book..drawing with the right side of your brain she calls it..her book on color theory is the single most beneficial book out there.

I asked for a bunch of books from the wife and that was one so we'll see what my Bday brings me - other than a heart attack from everything piling on in May. stupid everything I hate it all so much - not bitter though. totally not bitter -_-
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo