Persifal's Nest - Page 2
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Persifal's Nest

I'm really impressed with your work, makes me want to paint this mini.
    NMM looking good, just need a few glazes to smooth it out .
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Thnx, yea, this is only example and test that I'm doing well. I'm not sure if the direction of the reflections are right.

Blog Entries

This guy is really looking great. I love how vivid he is turning out.

yep makes me want to get him too. The test nmm is pretty good I agree with you that the reflections may not be in the correct place. I would try moving them up slightly so there is a shine at the very top of the axe. Have a look at my quick findings.

top notch stuff

Thnx Milosh. I made some bad decisions in the last paint session, I hope you stay tuned!

Thnx Canny, I think, I know, what do you mean. I will try to paint the other blade with different style of the reflections.

The last progress. Attempt to paint some gold parts. The photos show many mistakes and a lot of work to do.
    Fingers are more dark in the simulation of hard worked dwarf. The glyph on the belt must be more dark. Please leave comment, if you have any hint. Thank you.

Awesome work Pers, Neat work on the beard axes.

Thnx Canny! I'm appreciating it.

I was very busy in the last week, so painting hobby stops for me.
    Despite the lack of time, my work on the dwarf goes to finish. I will be done this weekend, ... maybe.
    As you can see, almost of the details are painted.
    First version of the stone dragon's head was flat, so I added more contrast and I tried to achieve more natural stone looks.
    The tattoo on the right arm is a color test. Do you think the color of the tattoo is correct? And the other colors?
    Thank you for a suggestions.

Finally done!
    I added s lots of tattoo and finished the base. I wanted the base to be more monochromatic than the dwarf to grow contrast and focus to him. I learn much new about painting of the cold colored metals during this project but I think, I have big reserves in my NMM. The deadwood is made from a jute twine.
    Please, let me know, how it turns!
    You can vote here http://www.coolminiornot.com/354149. Thanks.

Freakin voted! Amazing work, the debris and basing came up great really tied it all in. Top work all round! 10

that stone effect is pure awesome!

I was a little sad. That dwarf is not perfect and I was expected some critique reactions, but it looks like nobody interested last few days. Thank you both for your words.

@Canny: I wanted simple colored base in contrast with more colored dwarf. I hope it worked.

@ischa: The stone surface is painted with sponge. I was surprised how simple it is. I´m glad you like it.

very very good paintjob.Imho i only find strange the reflection on some gold nmm parts, e.g the left axe: personally i would have gone for a diagonal light effect, and generally i see the final highlight of the nmm a bit "soft".. was it pure white? Just my point of view.

Newbie, please be gentle DistortedMe's Avatar

Wow, amazing paintjob! really neat!
    I personally like the 'soft lighting effect', as for critics.. only two point for me, the tattoo's seem a bit flat to me, but I would think its one of the hardest things to get it to not look flat, I do like the designs of them. The other point is the blue on his pants seems a bit 'fluorescent' (don't know if thats really the right word), to me it sort of distracts a bit, not the most comfortable to look at somehow. Hope the points make some sens anyway it looks great!
    'The Summer is here and the time is right!'
    Casablanca - Beast Of Summer

Thanks for comments and voting!

@Crudelus: Thanks, If you say left axe, you mean axe in the right hand? Yea, I had to turn that reflection to other side (turns to the ours right). The final highlight is painted white, but I softness it with yellow glaze.

@DistortedMe: Thank you!
    1. Tattoo is painted with one tone of color, but I try to glaze it with color of the skin highlight. Maybe making some shadows on the tattoo will help. But I don't plan make changes.
    2. The blue on the pants is more problem of my digital camera. The base of that blue is GW Ice blue and my camera changed it to this glowing thing. I apologize but I used only white balance and I don't like using a color magics of the photo editors on my final photos. So blue is little more shining as in real. Different intensity of shading blue and white is intention that stripes are from a different materials.

very classic obelix pants, i actually like them. looks good. i also like the stone effect, very effective. still think you shoud have gone for TMM instead though, but i guess i cant have it all
    oh, and you forgot to highlight the toenails!

ups, you got me , the toenails are only basecoated! You have eyes as an eagle!
    Yea, world is not perfect and we all must live with my bad choice of a painting technique! Terrible!
    And serious now, thank you for support with pants and stone. I appreciate it.

Newbie, please be gentle DistortedMe's Avatar

Was thinking, maybe for a next time you could glaze with a darker skin color in de shadows instead of glazing everything with a highlightcolor, cause i noticed how the tattoos on his back do look good not as flat, as there is a real light/shadow on there, on the arms thats a bit less. As for the pants, photographing a mini is a pain lol.... it makes sense that white balance messes it up a bit, nonetheless the quality is still amazing!

And I forgot to mention: the stone.... WOW! when i saw it painted by GW I was like 'aah not a scenic base.... ' but you just blew that away...
    Is there any chance on a tutorial-thingy or step-by-step on how you achieved it?
    'The Summer is here and the time is right!'
    Casablanca - Beast Of Summer

Thanks DistortedMe,
    First version of the stone was very similar to the original. Without the metallic parts of course. I wasn't happy with that. So a took sponge with black paint and I made some dark dots over almost all surface. Second layer with sponge was made with some neutral grey concentrated to the future lights. Third layer with light blue gray was made mostly on the lights. Next steps was black and brown wash to make some contrast. The last wip photo are from this stage. Followed some grey glaze, some sponge work, wash and edge highlighting . As you can see, I did not used nothing special. Making next layer hasn't planned and was depends only on my feel. I hope it helps.

I love the job you did on this and what I especially love is the beard! As my first mini to paint will be a dwarf, can you please tell us the steps you followed for the beard/hair?

Thank you,
    Making steps of the beard are:
    1. basecoat - blazing orange (old Citadel)
    2. wash - dark flesh (old Citadel)
    3. layer - blazing orange all raised areas
    4. highlight - lugganath orange (new Citadel Edge)
    5. more contrast - dark flesh and dark flesh + abaddon black to shadows
    6. glaze blazing orange on the light areas
    7. second highlight - lugganath orange
    I hope its help.