Help needed with colour scheme for Blight Tank and MG-Schlitten

Thread: Help needed with colour scheme for Blight Tank and MG-Schlitten

Default Help needed with colour scheme for Blight Tank and MG-Schlitten

After having finished my Allied army i now want to start on the Blight minis but can't make up a good paint scheme for the vehicles.
    I dont want to use "German tank Grey" but something more interesting but still kind of "realistic"...
    I found a Picture of germn AV7 tanks with a kind of bluish colour , Brown and buff colour and tried it .
    So i would like to ask your opinion aout it. Or maybe you come up with something completely different...
    The secont scheme is something i tried to replace the buff...

Thnk you for your help!
    Elmar
    Attached Images Attached Images    

The colours are rather bright but a good wash will sort that. I've had a look at the photo's because there was something wrong ad couldn't put my finger on it and its the actual pattern, it needs to be blobs rather than stripes I think.

it's a good start, but i'll just wait & see what you do with it - it could go anywhere from here.

great idea though, and i love the idea of different paint apps.

I like the MG colors more. The sand color is too bright for such a large swathe of camo. Have you looked at the Vallejo German Camo sets they have, one is for airbrushes. It has a lot of really great colors, would let you blend, shade and highlight, giving you a much closer camo pattern perhaps. But I would go with the light greys, greens and light browns. A little black thrown in in very thin lines, as a separator...

Blog Entries

I might try a few German WWII patterns when I get to painting the vehicles. I am particularly fond of the spotted yellow red green pattern in the second pic:

Name:  Tank Camo.jpg
Views: 8827
Size:  126.7 KB

Name:  Tank Camo 2.jpg
Views: 2495
Size:  10.7 KB

Check out more of my wife's photography at: http://thereasagwinn.com

Why choose Space Wolves over other chapters?
    ‘They are desperate, and as savage as beasts.’
    Magnus lost his smile.
    ‘I no longer think of them as animals, Ahmuz, though I once did. I now think of them as the purest of us all. Incorruptible. Single-minded. The perfection of my father’s vision.’
    Excerpt from Battle of the Fang

I would be tempted to replace the grey with a darkish green and as has been mentioned go for a more area/blob schemes Perhaps use a more muted sand colour with a green and brown camo scheme on top? The MG is more difficult but the same sort of scheme should work.

As for me I am going for a simple "German grey-green" scheme, washed out in earth brown, followed by a light dry brush of steel to show a bit of wear and tear. I will add small patches in a strong red/blue/yellow here and there just to draw the eye a bit, probably where I intend to add the decals This follows the overall scheme for the infantry so is relatively quick and simple, making the Blight look a cohesive force on table.

I'd go with the Maus colour scheme, if only for the fact that it's been included in the picture!

Blog Entries

There was a German city camo towards the end of world war 2, which used blocks instead of more fluid patterns for vehicles.

I have been trying to find the source images i used but am having trouble.
    I painted up some 40k vehicles in a winterized version of the camo, but I think it may fit well as a rivetwars scheme

Hi Biggls, have you tried simply undercoating in black? I always work from black upwards when airbrushing, let the colours do the work for you! Thin layers working more onto the high areas of the model and the shading will take care of itself, it will also mute the tones down a little

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldoguk View Post
    Hi Biggls, have you tried simply undercoating in black? I always work from black upwards when airbrushing, let the colours do the work for you! Thin layers working more onto the high areas of the model and the shading will take care of itself, it will also mute the tones down a little
    Thank you for the hint with black undercoating Bulldog but my problem isn't really the technical aspect of the paintjob but the colourscheme as a whole. As i'm not very creative i need to find a source from which i may draw my inspiration but until now i simply cant find one which i like and which would fit ... does that make sense for you?
    I like the stripe design but i friend of mine pointed out to me that it looks like some austrian chocolate on legs and that ithe colours are rather british 8th army in africa...
    So at the moment i'm clueless and started painting the infantry....

But thank you all for your thoughts and tips and time you spent for me!!!!

Blog Entries

Hmm I really like the rivet wars armor. What about a non "realistic" color? Like a blue-green with rust. Or bronze copper with verdigris?

Here are some favorites of mine:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/344257

http://www.coolminiornot.com/297004

http://www.coolminiornot.com/270658

Those look really great Biggls. It's a tough decision. I think the idea of using some WWII type ref for colors and patterning is a great idea. The Sturmpanzer is heavily based on the the Stug if that helps.

At some point I'd love to create patterns and then give them locations on the world map to match the terrain and conditions. Does that sounds interesting? It'd mean detailing out the map some more but I'd love to get that great realism and detail at some point. We could then catalogue peoples armies and the fronts they're fighting on.

And this is a great tutorial I think for painting that camo look. And he has some great links to good ref and more information and patterning.
    http://rustandthecity.blogspot.com/2...puttycamo.html

Ted,

That sounds awesome! You could feel that your units were part of a battlegroup, fighting in a certain region. It could even add some history to your individual boardgame, or you could even do a campaign to advance your story!

@Ted Terranova. Ted on page 112 of the Art Book you have 6 color swatches, 3 each for each side. Could you explain the thoughts for these swatches and how any coloring concepts you had in repect to these.

I tend to keep with reference art on my first paints but seeing as I will have a bucket load of clones (if my memory serves me correctly) coming in the second wave I reckon I might experiment with the camo I use on my Dust Warfare vehicles might suit the Blight forces nicely and fit in with the overall colour scheme of my forces

@bulldog - that'd look great. I like the angular pattern.

@skritter - those were little color palettes I made to help me with the concept art. I wanted some color schemes I could draw from to stay consistent. They based on camo and uniform colors.

I bought this book a year or two ago and really love it for reference on uniforms and color ideas. I've since bought other books in the series. Amazon Link

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Terranova View Post
    Those look really great Biggls. It's a tough decision. I think the idea of using some WWII type ref for colors and patterning is a great idea. The Sturmpanzer is heavily based on the the Stug if that helps.

And this is a great tutorial I think for painting that camo look. And he has some great links to good ref and more information and patterning.
    http://rustandthecity.blogspot.com/2...puttycamo.html
    Hi Ted,

thank you for the link! The tutorial is awsome and i think i have some idea on how to paint the tank based on some WW1 A7V tank replica.

Thanks Elmar

Just thought I'd mention that there is a painting section on the site. And we're always looking for good tutorials that can help folks get the results they're looking for.

http://rivetwars.com/painting-techniques/

And there's also ref, terrain, etc. under the Hobby section of the site.