Rivet-less machines

Thread: Rivet-less machines

Default Rivet-less machines

My shock on one of the threads I just reviewed is that someone removed the Rivet from the MG! How? Are there other pieces that dis-assemble?

Is there a thread on this?
    Sky

Quote Originally Posted by Lance King View Post
    My shock on one of the threads I just reviewed is that someone removed the Rivet from the MG! How? Are there other pieces that dis-assemble?

Is there a thread on this?
    A few ways. Brute force. Putting into the freezer to make the glue brittle (then brute force). Using superglue release stuff on the glue to break it down and then pulling the pieces apart.

A lot of wiggling and tugging involved. You will find that a lot of the joints aren't actually glued and just the seating area is.

Quote Originally Posted by hithero View Post
    A lot of wiggling and tugging involved.

Multi-forum quote there...

I have to do that to get money out of my wife!! Funny!

Seriously though, what superglue release stuff? I have used the Freezer/ plunge into hot water method before. I think I'll try it on amono whell and MG.

Sky

I didn't use any special techniques or tools, just a lot of wriggling about works for me.

You need a good firm grip then give it a good pull, you may have to repeat several times before it comes out....

And regarding the rivets, yes I removed the rivet from the mg to paint, little bit of firm force and wiggling and I needed to slice the control stick with a craft knife to prevent it from breaking, much easier to paint this way. Incidentally I also remove the vehicles and troops from the bases using a sharp knife after painting, paint the bases then re-attach with gorilla super glue (less brittle than standard s glue) then varnish

It's a shame there isn't an emote for a Sid James laugh, I think this thread will need it

Has anyone pulled out the mono wheel driver and the allied MC rider?
    Sky

Yeah, the monowheel takes a lot of wiggling about and a lot of pressure, mark up which rider goes in which wheel as the 'break' wil be different and they may not go back properly. I just used a different colour pen on the seat and his bum. I didn't bother with the biker, but my mate took his off easy enough.

I did manage to pull the Rivet out of the MG last night. I also cut the MG and a Monowheel from their bases. Not too bad. Next I am going to freeze a mono wheel and try to pull that driver off his seat!

Are you cutting the infantry off as well?
    Sky

No. infantry and mono wheel painted on their bases, didn't see a need to remove them as I could get to all the bits with the brush easy enough.

I used an scalpel and cut everything off their bases. I pinned them back. In that wat I could re-position all models on their bases to get some variation. The bikers was quite hard to disassemble, in order to get the wheels off I had to cut the supporting struts. The rider came off easy.

Do you have any pictures of your repositioned figures? That sounds interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by a94marbo View Post
    I used an scalpel and cut everything off their bases. I pinned them back. In that wat I could re-position all models on their bases to get some variation. The bikers was quite hard to disassemble, in order to get the wheels off I had to cut the supporting struts. The rider came off easy.
    Sky