Steam Crow's Painted Rivets

Thread: Steam Crow's Painted Rivets

Red face Steam Crow's Painted Rivets

I've been watching a bunch of films about WWI, which influenced me to make my Rivets nice and dirty-like.

I figure that this unit has been woefully underfunded; when new soldiers arrive, they just hand them used helmets and equipment... and it's all shoddy. Nobody has time to clean this gear, and there's really no reason anyway.

Name:  IMG_4208.jpg
Views: 1238
Size:  181.4 KB

I'm not an expert painter, but I tried my best. I have to admit, this has been a big project!

Name:  IMG_4213.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  173.6 KB

The more I painted these guys, the dirtier they got.

Name:  IMG_4215.jpg
Views: 1055
Size:  155.5 KB

I carved in bullet holes, chips, and other damage into some of these troopers.

Name:  IMG_4219.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  244.7 KB

I had a mishap with a wash that I put on in the end; it ended up creating this chalky residue where it pooled. I tried to remove it, but you can see it in some spots.

Name:  IMG_4231.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  142.7 KB

These cycles were a big challenge for me to paint. Though I've been painting for years and years, I'm not terribly skilled. (Should be much better since I started in the 80's.) But, these are for tabletop fun, seen at a distance of 2 feet - so that's just fine.

Name:  IMG_4236.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  179.8 KB

The damn dirty rogues! The lighting in our game room isn't this bright, so I had to exaggerate just a little.

Name:  IMG_4237.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  182.5 KB

I debated whether or not to texture the bases, but I'm glad that I did so that they blended in with the trench table a bit better. Used the same paints for the earth.

Name:  IMG_4238.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  159.8 KB

Here you can see my very simple Triumphant Arch. I was in a huge hurry, so I didn't really make it very fancy. I did know that I was doing it so that I could put my Uncle Rivet and Blightun Uber Allies posters on it... so I kept it simple.

Name:  IMG_4247.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  224.7 KB

I like the old black and white photo approach.

Name:  IMG_4250.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  256.9 KB

The reverse side has Blight posters. I figure that they've been fighting over this landmark for the last decade, tagging it with posters when they win it (briefly).

Name:  IMG_4269.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  187.2 KB

Name:  IMG_4278.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  288.2 KB

More photos for scale. I built the arch before I ever illustrated any of these posters.

Name:  IMG_4305.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  289.7 KB

A souvenir photograph to send back home to Ma.

Name:  IMG_4311.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  209.2 KB

Thanks for looking! Now, onto the Blightun so I can play this dang game!

UPDATE: I forgot to mention a big "thank you" for everyone sharing painting tips and photos here on the forum. I discovered the rust wash from a tip here, which I really enjoyed using.
    Last edited by steamcrow; 02-22-2014 at 01:40 PM.
    Check out more Steam Crow art here!

Really awesome army. I would say you are quite the good painter. I really like the color on the two commanders, it makes there really stand out from the rest of the army (and look like pomps for being so clean).

Bravo!
    Turning lead into gold is easy, pour it into a Rackham mold. -Mr_Maxime

Hod's Chaos Dwarfs

Hod's Karag Dum Throng

Hod's Space Boars

Great at stuff steam crow, you have that thousand yard stare off to a T!

Btw, where did you get the propaganda posters from, planning on making my own 3d board and buildings in the future they would be brilliant to add a little atmosphere!

Thanks guys! I appreciate the feedback. It seems like painting this many figures all at once is really an exercise of patience. But, I knew if I painted each one individually, they wouldn't look like a core set.

Bulldoguk - I illustrated the posters myself. (I draw/create odd things for a living.) There could be an announcement soon about the posters.

Thanks for the encouragement Steamcrow. As an average painter I wanted to post my stuff to get more people painting than just the elite. I found that I had to slow down and go one figure at a time as I was nt happy with my early stuff. I should post next weekend. Then you all can critic me!
    Sky

holy..... these look awesome. really like what I saw. thanks

Lovely work Steam Crow! Great photos too! I almost dig the B&W more than the color!

Finally, I got my Treasure Hunter finished.

I paint these with an admittedly heavy hand (and heavy black outlining) but I find that they look better on the battlefield this way.

I'm always sad how they look as a giant close-up jpg... but it makes me admire other's paint jobs (that DO look good photographed).

Name:  treasure_hunter_steam_crow.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  130.3 KB

Nice treasure hunter. I personally like the black outline, makes it look kinda cell shaded like Borderlands or a cartoon.

These are all great. I like the black outline too. What did you use to do the outline?

I just use a micron .005 fineline marker to line most of my models.

Again, it looks garish on a big photo of a tiny mini; looks really good in real life. (At least to my bleary eyes.)

I also dig the look. Even in the up close photo. It's neat!