BloodFather's Axis of Chaos - Page 43
Page 43 of 86 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Thread: BloodFather's Axis of Chaos

Initial progress on Goliath after a night's painting. Must say, it is a pure joy to paint. Very slow and steady glazing which I find therapeutic almost. Lots of opportunities to glaze different tones into the skins since it's so pock marked and ridden with scar tissue. Will have to purchase more Simon figures, as they were made to be painted on.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ​You are ranked 1 out of 9149 artists.
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

wow you wasted no time diving into this guy.. excellent start, I expect perfection every step of the way
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

Nice start.
    Im looking at Simon figures as an alternative to LoTR. I have a bit on working on a diorama so probably in the new year I will start looking seriously.

I couldn't reccomend him any more, my friend. Great resin casts with excellent detail. Check out his blog. You'll see he has about 10 minis available from his own range. But look closer and you'll see that, IMO the best sculpts from Mierce were done by him too!! Look even closer, go back to 2011 on his blog, and you'll see that he did some of the best stuff for Rackham as well. He is the man! I know you're into dioramas, he will slowly be coming out with his 4 horsemen. He has one so far, but all four together would be something special. Subscribe to his blog.
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

BF,

The skin is looking really good so far mate. Some nice variation in tone and brightness going on there. Is that a mold line I spy on the upper part of his bare thigh or just a pic artifact?

Thanks Stew. You always keep my painting honest and I respect that.

But no, not a mold line. There literally was not a single mold line on the mini at purchase. Simon makes sure of that before mailing them off. What you see is actually a muscle striation before I've done any shading to it.

A little more work done on the skin before I had to come into work for a 24 shift. Added some very subtle highlights of Rakarth flesh and Ivory. More dull highlights are Rakarth and VGC bronze Flesh. Can't wait to get back at her. Going to use Sprocket's Ratskin Flesh recipe for the copper armor. Just haven't decided how much of the armor needs to be copper.

Will be nice too see your version of him, have to get one of his figures one day so many that recommend them.

/K
    work is boring when it gets in the way of my painting.

The skin is looking good. I'm glad you're adding some more highlights to the flesh. Those muscle masses are like big spheres so let that guide your shading. Then the smaller features, ripples in the muscles, etc can get more subtle highlighting/shading. It'll be neat to see when you get those armor colors in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey03 View Post
    The skin is looking good. I'm glad you're adding some more highlights to the flesh. Those muscle masses are like big spheres so let that guide your shading. Then the smaller features, ripples in the muscles, etc can get more subtle highlighting/shading. It'll be neat to see when you get those armor colors in there.
    Great way to put that. Part of what you said I am doing intuitively, but otherwise you worded it in such a way that it'll help me stay on task. I am very much a descriptive learner. So I need things described to me in a certain way to improve. Naturally, this is how I then try to teach. But I def was leaving smaller features with subtle, near mid tone shades. It is the sphere connection that is making things clearer to me. Some muscles might be shaped like a tear for example. Then the highlight should resemble this shape, somewhat (still depends upon the light source). If it's a ball, make a round highlight in the direction of the light source, etc. Got it. This sculpt is a little challenging in that their are just SO MANY additional features on the skin. A scab here, a scar there. Stitches here, a piercing there. This can make navigating the paintbrush, and thus the HLs and shades, a bit more complex. But my results in most areas I think are at least naturally correct. Debating how much higher to go with my highs, and in some spots how dark to take the shadow (like the underside-but not inside-of his right arm. In some spots my highlights are my shades in others.

When I get home in 12 hours I'll take some additional photos of different angles for a better idea of my progress. Honestly I feel I am about 90 percent complete with the skin.

A bit of the copper done. Verdigris to follow. Not sure how much of his armor I'll make copper. Was going to make it all copper but not sure if that'll look good or not. Anyway, sorry for the poor lighting better shots later:
    Last edited by BloodFather of Kharnath; 10-14-2014 at 01:36 PM.

He kind of has the pyramid head guy feel. Off of silent hill. Perfect fit for this time of year.
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-

That skin is looking excellent.

IMHO a Lil more shading of maybe some blues (I love that in cubic darkness) as for the copper Ide make the all of it copper.1 minimizes your palette and two ITL be a great 1/2 punch for the entire mini. I have a rule 2-3 colors. . The skin is cool as in cold looking that is why I say the navy blue shading .the armor it really looks great the color scheme you've chose I would copper him out.this is just my 2 cents.Remembr this is me seeing what I would do if I painted it and was at that point. Just ideas but you (who is well capable of painting his own mini) have an image in your head and a goal . So when I give my two cents it's not because I feel it's better or worst it's just ideas what I would do.either way that's my thoughts on the armor. And overall it's headed in the very banging direction.it is looking awesome.

Allright! I wanted to do all copper I was just afraid that it would minimize the power of the copper if it was seen everywhere. But then again, it will really contribute to him looking like a rustic and weathered killer. When I see this mini, in one word I think " brutal."All copper gives me the chance to have fun with some verdigris, too. I have a pigment powder called
    "Slate Green" from Secret Weapon and it comes out a pale green blue. And then I also have GW's verdigris, so I am hoping that if I am very controlled with it the two can combine for some cool effects. I don't want it to look nasty and spilling out everywhere.

The alternative I was thinking of would have his left leg being dark steel, that way the copper head on his knee sticks out. Right leg is copper. But the plate on his gut which extends downs to his waist would be all steel. Helmet and shoulder would be copper. Idk though, I think I am with you BaM where a limited pallet will be more powerful.

Updates to follow tonight. I will proceed slowly, painting pieces copper one at a time.

Blog Entries

That skin looks good. I like how his chest is building a focus toward his mouth. I think with that helmet that is going to be the focus of the mini, right? I think you can keep working that too, just be careful not get all the way up to your NMM highlights. I also really like your primer nice and smooth and light. Although your rubbing it off his boot :P

I think I am with BAM on one color for the metals, but not sure on the helmet. I guess see how your copper is working. On my Hellbrute the key for the copper was Vallejo German Orange. I think I told you it looks to me like ketchup and mayonnaise. AKA "secret sauce" with out the relish

I assume you saw Skeletetts similar dude: http://www.coolminiornot.com/346009 Might be neat to do some shiny colors some where on this guy.

What happened to Maagaan? Are you just waiting to take better photos? One thing I did notice on him is that the edge of the tiger skin is awfully white. Not sure if that is the pic or the PJ. But maybe tone that down? Also on Maagaan I wonder if you couldn't add a little blue or green to his face? Maybe tie in the belt pouch and gem a tad and give his face some contrast to all those warm browns you have working?

Name:  Maagan2WIP.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  198.6 KB

Thanks Demi for a very good post. Good because it brings up a lot if things I've been wanting to address. We will start with the current project. Yes I think his helmet to chest is where my eyes focus. I think I can make his helmet copper too. The copper should look very good, IMO. The copper you see on his knee isn't necessarily how it'll look when smoothly blended on the other, much softer surfaces. I remember your copper and it was tippy top notch. My secret sauce, though, requires Ratskin flesh. Go out and get you some because it's truly like special sauce all on it's own. It puts off a pinkish tint, and if you look at examples of copper on the google you'll see the inclusion of a lot of pink. Also using the Ratskin mixed with Mournfang brown ( bestial) as it has a reddish/orange tint to it, and if you add Ivory to this you'll get a pinkish filter. I will endeavor to keep the brightest pinks in small, small areas and some edging. Darkest shade is Rhinox.

Thank you for your curiosity with Maagaan. I just bought two new lamps and daylight bulbs so I'll try them out soon. My wife has the good camera though and won't be back until about a week. Might just use the iphone anyway thigh because, as Bailey showed us, this can be just as good. Thanks for the advice on changes but tbh I really need to just let it go. I am reluctantly accepting that I AM just a novice painter and can't expect to always produce gold. I could fix a few things here and there but my ability to learn from such editing and produce anything significantly different is low to nil. Oh, and the white is definitely being exaggerated by the over exposure. It really is just a tip of Ivory over top of a commando khaki.

Seeing the pic you uploaded just now though and I 'm thinking.... It's not bad. Not bad at all.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BloodFather of Kharnath View Post
    Thanks for the advice on changes but tbh I really need to just let it go. I am reluctantly accepting that I AM just a novice painter and can't expect to always produce gold.

Seeing the pic you uploaded just now though and I 'm thinking.... It's not bad. Not bad at all.

Wise words my man. However, I would not ever describe you as a "novice". I think "expert" more correctly describes your skill level. A big deal for me has been learning to finish. It's too easy to set the project aside and think that you will get back to it. Much better to add some punctuation, move on a few lines and start the next paragraph. IMHO.

Glad I was able to contribute. The last several weeks shave been a little hectic with kid-o's and what not. Send me some picts!

Copper. At least my version of it.

The new project looks good, BFoK.. I think the copper will shape up nice with some weathering. And if you are a "novice", then I'm a sub-schmoe in the painting world.. I'd prolly never see an invite to Paint and Putty at the rate that I'm going..

Pshhht. You are not to shabby yourself Khon. Keep doing your thing and you will get your invite before you know it.
    ." -Me-