BloodFather's Axis of Chaos
Page 1 of 86 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: BloodFather's Axis of Chaos

Default BloodFather's Axis of Chaos

I have a WFB Chaos Army in the making. I am relatively new to painting and sculpting, but I've made huge strides very recently. I will have a quality fine cast model done shortly though, and my hope is that I can send pics of my progress and get some quality feedback. Let's start with my Khorne Lord on Juggernaut:

http://s1329.photobucket.com/user/be...tml?sort=3&o=0

I promised myself I wouldn't go back and strip anything, but the clumpy over thick paint is absolutely atrocious. Let this be my guide to never, ever let that happen again. What you might see in the future on this log:

Coming Soon:

-Finishing off my Marauders of Chaos with Great Weapons. I may order some of these from Russian Alternatives. Check Them out!! Awesome minis
    - Warriors of Chaos: Will I brave a crazy freehand design on EVERY model?
    - Skull Krushers
    - Chaos Dwarves with Fire Glaives
    -Demonsmith
    -Sorcerer Prophet on Great Taurus
    -Chosen
    -Dreadquake Mortar

Working on now:

Khorne Exalted Hero. Blue NMM armor with an effect of either purple lightning bolts or a frozen cracked look.

Concurrently:
    Marauders. I have done quite a few conversions with these guys. I will touch them up and share soon.

So that does it. I hope my evolution brings a lot of feedback. I consider myself blending capable. I water down my paints a lot but sometimes I just go back and forth trying to blend something for so long that I build up excessive layers. I know that with practice this will go away , so I am confident that I am a master painter that just doesn't know it yet.

My philosophy: Challenge myself. I'm just a beginner but if I expose myself to asvanced techniques, even at the cost of stripping minis, that I will grow faster than if I paint in my comfort zone. In the last week of painting I really haven't accomplished much. I've stripped a mini's shoulder pad twice, built a base, painted an NMM shield to near completion and tidied up some marauders. But I have learned. Even when I feel I am regressing I know this is truly growth. Let the fun begin.

My Khorne exalted hero will be made with this color scheme. Please, need comments and criticism on the NMM on this shield:

Looks like a good start to me.

The area around the top of the shield works quite well as do the brighter areas on the Khorne symbol.

The darker areas of the symbol and the transitions aren't quite working to my eye. The bottom right corner of the symbol needs some light brought into it maybe on the "teeth" and that big dark area could be shrunk down a little allowing some more mid tones in the middle of the symbol. You could also pick out the upper edges of both metal areas a little more brightly. Running light touches of the edge of the brush along the edges works well for this as does using various levels of your highlight mixes.

Again its looking like a really good start.

Hey thanks Stew. I can only agree with you. More mid tones and some edge highlighting. I am also doing a lot of gold on a Sigvald figure and will post it soon

I have trouble focusing on one figure at a time. I like to work on two distinctly different minis at a time to keep things fresh. Therefore, I present to you my Sigvald WIP. I think it is coming along well. How about you???

http://s1329.photobucket.com/user/be...e189d.jpg.html

I have completed Sigvald's hair, skin, and touched up his armor by taking away some of the darkest shadows and washing with a very thin application of GW averland sunset, pallid wych flesh, and tau light ochre 1:1:1. I think this made the gold a bit more apparent, though I think I need to emphasize the highlights a bit better. Would really appreciate some comments or criticism before I proceed with this dude : p

http://s1329.photobucket.com/user/be...97397.jpg.html

Hi,

His face and hair look a little flat to me in this image (it might be the angle). I suggest working the highlights on the hair up to something off white with a hint of yellow in it, especially near the crown of his head. I'd suggest pure white but you want to save that for the nmm.

Personally the gold looked much stronger in the previous image. You have too much mid tone now and not enough shadow. Also remember with nmm you are not so much painting shadows and highlights as you are the reflections of the light source(s) (bright spots) and of other objects/the object itself (darker areas). So the pec areas of the armour will reflect his face and hair (at the top of the area, darker and maybe a hint of their colours), the sky (in the middle, more midtones and perhaps the brightest area), the ground and other objects away from Sigvald in the bottom third (darker again and darker than the top) and finally the six pack armour which will rrflect light onto the lower side of the pecs creating glints.

Hope that is helpful.

GAAAR!!! You're right, it was much better before. I just felt that it was too dark and needed some more mid tone. So I put more mid tone and toned down that Brown. It's there, just harder to notice. I've gone back and forth, back and forth on this guy's armor so many times that it's starting to really just frustrate me. The paint is beginning to cake now because of this back and forth, and there is no way I'm stripping him at this point. Seriously, I've been refining his armor for like a week and a half. And it seems that it was at its best about a week ago when I look at my WIP pics. Sigh.

Looking at other Sigvalds on here, the abs are normally just two tones. an almost darkest Brown on the bottom, and a bright highlight at the top. It's such a small area one can't do much more than this. As for the pecs you are entirely correct. I need a yellow white highlight center mass.

I've been juicing to do my blending on this guy. Why? There just isn't enough surface area anywhere to blend by other means. Because of this I think I am struggling a.bit more than normal.

The face hasn't received highlights and shadow yet, sorry should have mentioned. The hair does have a bright yellow white spot near the.top, with a put white strip in the center of this. the glare is obscuring this. Also the jewels are not.complete.

Well, I am going to fix these.issues. So help me.Good I know I am better than this, it just isn't coming together for some reason. Discouraged.

Hi,good start.
    NMM can be frustrating and you are doing a complex mini to practice on.
    I know what your saying about there's no surface area for blending but believe me there is and with practice your get there.
    you will need to get more tones on , even on the six pack - needs more than just light/dark.
    On this early sigvald I did I found it helpful to just concentrate on one particular part (leg, arm,chest etc ) at a time as to not get overwhelmed by it. Keep going

www.coolminiornot.com/299580
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Here we go. Slightly improved, though I must say the paint is getting too thick. I am actually considering taking a file to certain parts and VERY lightly shedding a couple of layers off. Anyone ever do this?

Be sure to zoom in if you need a closer look. I'm posting this one a little backed off in hopes that the warts aren't so visible...lol.

http://s1329.photobucket.com/user/be...eabef.jpg.html

Quote Originally Posted by ten ball View Post
    Hi,good start.
    NMM can be frustrating and you are doing a complex mini to practice on.
    I know what your saying about there's no surface area for blending but believe me there is and with practice your get there.
    you will need to get more tones on , even on the six pack - needs more than just light/dark.
    On this early sigvald I did I found it helpful to just concentrate on one particular part (leg, arm,chest etc ) at a time as to not get overwhelmed by it. Keep going

www.coolminiornot.com/299580
    Hey Ten, I actually took a lot of inspiration from your Sig. I think you can tell by looking at a lot of my dark and light spots. I just felt that yours looked more gold than many others. Base is pretty good too.

I actually applied about four tones on the abs and the pecs, though this may not be obvious due to overlapping brush strokes in some areas. It is a very complex version of NMM, that is agreed. I actually pull it off quite well in most cases, though so am used to just doing it for trim here or a shoulder pad there. Thank you for the advice and I'd love it, since you've painted one yourself, if you checked in on this WIP when you have the time and offer your thoughts. For instance, did you use a gloss varnish on the armor afterwards? I believe that a shiney coat of gloss will give the armor a more realistic quality. Itching to try out my 'ardcoat.

I also plan on doing his shield in sky earth. Perhaps a volcano will be erupting near the horizon. If I can pull this off it will determine whether or not the mini is a success. God Speed.

Looking at the pictures I suspect you've 'overworked' the painting.
    The picture you've linked to above seems to show heavy paint levels especially in the shoulder pauldrons the face is also showing a touch of detail blurring usually associated with too dense a paint coat.

Every painter comes to a point sometime when they have to admit they've gone too far with a mini and it's ended up getting stripped, no shame in it, just a touch of self annoyance and another step up the learning curve.
    I believe in Karma, what you give, is what you get returned. Affirmation; Savage Garden
    Oh look my IQ results came in:-
    , and proud of it.

Oh man. This is going to be hard for me to accept. Overworked it was, DR. I literally went back and forth on it for about 8-9 days, 2-3 hours a day. So to strip it now would pain me. Deeply. I'll tell you what, if advanced painters such as those of you that have graciously provided me with criticism on this guy tell me that I should strip it because they see the potential for a display quality mini, then I will do it. But if it just makes more sense to appreciate it for the learning value, with the understanding that even if I correct the overworked paint I still am not quite "there," then I'll just finish it up as is. What do y'all think? This could be a good mini, strip it. Or there's no point. Don't hold back on account of my feelings, please.

On second thought, it's about what I am happy with, right? I am going to truck on and remember that I am truly new to this painting thing and I should be content with the gains I have made. Not to mention the odds of me stripping it and overworking it again are very real. Thanks all for the input and please continue your insightful comments and criticisms.

DR might be right about the repaint, its up to you as you say.

I was painting some NMM gold on project so I did a little sbs

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...lls-WIP/page73
    1. 'Painting is a companion with whom one may hope to walk a great part of life's journey.' W. Churchill
    Thank you for asking but I don't do commissions.

Quote Originally Posted by ten ball View Post
    DR might be right about the repaint, its up to you as you say.

I was painting some NMM gold on project so I did a little sbs

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...lls-WIP/page73
    Just for the heck of it, as a sort of practical exercise, I'm painting a similarly sized and textured object using your NMM recipe. Will post it for you shortly.

I've compared my Sigvald to a lot of the ones in the gallery, and I don't think I am too far off or that the overpaint is too out of control. I have a decent design planned for the cape, and some sky earth planned for the shield, and if I can pull those off with any sort of skill then I may salvage a decent mini.

I have multiple projects going on right now. I kind of put Sigvald on hold while I work on some Wyrd miniatures "Ronin." I needed to start now because it's for a contest on WAMP due by 31 March. I started with this babe, and thought I'd try a plaid skirt:

http://s1329.photobucket.com/user/be...tml?sort=3&o=1

A better pic here:

I think the skirt came out okay. I highlighted and shaded the base coat, but the effect disappeared once I put the design on. I may shade with a dark gray glaze in some places though this kind of scares me. Next step, I'm going to lightly glaze pantyhose on. As you may have noticed her whole legs had skin tone base coated on. From what I understand, I can glaze a shade, lighter or darker in places, for the sheer panty hose effect. Hope it works.

Ultimately, I may use another ronin model for the contest. This one just had a lot of challenges with assembling, etc, plus the other model I think is a bit better for what I'm trying to do. Wyrd sells an Asian themed 50mm base complete with this pagoda looking arch thingy. Well, I'm going to hang this other model that is wrapped in a bloody sheet with a noose around his neck from this archway. The ronin, whichever one I choose, will be in the foreground, indicating that they committed the bloody act.

The compeittion is judged by Wyrd miniatures, rather than by user vote, so I think they'll appreciate that I am using their other products to base it and tell the story. I understand that WAMP's painting contests are very top class. So I'll likely be a guppy in a shark tank. Fun just to try though...

Hey, that plaid is good for a mini with detail that small Plaid is hard to do at the best of times. Try laying down the pattern first and then highlighting the whole thing to tie it all in and then it won't look so much like the lines are sitting on top. Mix a little red into your black and some white into both the red and black. It's a lot of fiddling around with highlights, mid tones and wet blending, but it is doable. The white lines need to be a bit finer too (I know, those Wyrd minis are petite so easier said than done). Here's a link to my Canadian Gobo for reference.
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/345866
    Best I have ever achieved in terms of plaid...hope that helps. Good luck with the contest! I swore off them for this year. I'm sticking to it... I'm sticking to it... I'm sticking to it...
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Thanks a million for the helpful comments. In regards to the white lines being finer, I noticed this too. I think my issue was that if I very lightly applied my standard brush, using Wyche flesh and a retarder, then the line was too faint. So I had to go over it many times. And this naturally thickened it out. I have used the negative space to thin it out, but it could use some more of that, apparently. I have read somewhere that a good way to tie it all in and make the plaid appear interwoven is to apply a wash of the base coat, in this case codex gray. ill try this, very thinned of course to avoid washing it out.

As far as HLing and shading, I believe you are saying to mix white to brighten each individual color in the high areas, and mix black with the each color in the low areas (normal techniques)? I'll try...sounds challenging. Was wondering if it would make sense to maybe just tint the low areas with a dark gray glaze. I've never shaded multiple colors by tinting them with a single color, but it sounded more economical.

Thanks again, and your goblin lumberjack is hilarious. They really have those in Canada?

Yeah we have lumber jacks, not goblins, but some of them are kind of grumpy
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo