Page 84 of 86 FirstFirst ... 34748283848586 LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,680 of 1711

Thread: BloodFather's Axis of Chaos

So jealous of your adventure across America, hope you have a great one
    Wargames Terrain Workshop
    Home of High Quality Gaming boards, Scenery and Miniature Sculpting

Contact us @ wargamesterrainworkshop@yahoo.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsreach View Post
    Sorry kinda busy with a few things having gone "Wrong" painting wise.
    Should be back soon.
    Anything we can help with, my friend?
    ​You are ranked 1 out of 9149 artists.
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

Watcha BFK I'm still here it's just the middle of the summer holidays. Being UK we have about ten times your leave and it's a nightmare! Kids need feeding and you can't just turf them off to school and nursery and you can only give them so much TV before they get unreasonable and demand fresh air!! Not like it was in my day and we all had rickets with the lack of vitamins from never leaving the front room from the amount of TV we watched.

So not much time for painting or posting as I'm knackered by the end of the day!

Ah well back to work tomorrow ....punches the air in joy.
    Victis hostibus tuis tibi rapitur videre et audire fletum mulierum. (or as near as google can do it!)
    Here be my ranking=
    Here be my gallery http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/AndyG

Quote Originally Posted by BloodFather of Kharnath View Post
    This place (CMoN forums) is quieter than I remember. Maybe it's just cuz I haven't seen the usual customers-Andy, Ten, Skel, and Bailey-update much, because my notifications are very slow and I am subscribed to dozens of threads. It's like 1-4 thread updates/a day when I used to get what seemed like dozens a day.
    I hear ya. Hopefully it's just because of summer and things will pick up. People do come and go though. Milosh used to be very active here but now it seems like he just pops up with a comment maybe twice a year. I've definitely noticed a number of other people who used to be frequent posters really cut back. For many of them (myself included), I'm guessing it's just real life stuff that's cut into their painting time. So, while I might not post multiple updates to my thread each week, I do try to update it at least once a week (as long as I've been able to make some progress).

It does seem like a lot of people have taken to facebook to post their figures and works in progress. So perhaps it is quieter because people are posting more there and less on this site. There are some benefits to posting on facebook. I think you reach a much wider audience that way, which can really help if you're looking to get commissions. However, I still prefer the format of CMON's forum. Facebook stuff will pop up in your feed and then, unless you save the post, it's practically impossible to find again. Meanwhile, if someone posts a project/paint mixes/tutorials here, I can easily find it months or even years later. I also think the feedback we get on this site is better than what I get on facebook. And, finally, when I post here I don't feel like I'm spamming all of my non-painting friends with mini pictures! So, while I will post my stuff to facebook from time to time, I feel like CMON is the place (along with my painting blog) where I prefer to share my mini work.

-------------------------

The mount is looking good. On those major shapes I'd take the highlights up further. Just keep the area of application very small so it still looks like black. You could go as far as placing little while reflection dots on him. Scales can be dull, but they can also be shiny. You could use the same NMM approach for the skin, just dial it down a little so it looks regular shiny and not metallic shiny. Just something for you to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    Not like it was in my day and we all had rickets with the lack of vitamins from never leaving the front room from the amount of TV we watched.
    I don't have kids, but from my own observations of childhood here in the states, it is the opposite. We used to play outdoors for hours at a time, you couldn't find me during the summer months. Now neighborhoods are deserted of children; all they know is their phones and their iDevices.

I disappeared for about 6 months from CMoN, so I guess I can't talk. Oh, and it takes me like 5 months to finish a single mini, so again I cannot talk...love seeing your work Andy...
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey03 View Post
    I hear ya. Hopefully it's just because of summer and things will pick up. People do come and go though. Milosh used to be very active here but now it seems like he just pops up with a comment maybe twice a year. I've definitely noticed a number of other people who used to be frequent posters really cut back. For many of them (myself included), I'm guessing it's just real life stuff that's cut into their painting time. So, while I might not post multiple updates to my thread each week, I do try to update it at least once a week (as long as I've been able to make some progress).

It does seem like a lot of people have taken to facebook to post their figures and works in progress. So perhaps it is quieter because people are posting more there and less on this site. There are some benefits to posting on facebook. I think you reach a much wider audience that way, which can really help if you're looking to get commissions. However, I still prefer the format of CMON's forum. Facebook stuff will pop up in your feed and then, unless you save the post, it's practically impossible to find again. Meanwhile, if someone posts a project/paint mixes/tutorials here, I can easily find it months or even years later. I also think the feedback we get on this site is better than what I get on facebook. And, finally, when I post here I don't feel like I'm spamming all of my non-painting friends with mini pictures! So, while I will post my stuff to facebook from time to time, I feel like CMON is the place (along with my painting blog) where I prefer to share my mini work.

-------------------------

The mount is looking good. On those major shapes I'd take the highlights up further. Just keep the area of application very small so it still looks like black. You could go as far as placing little while reflection dots on him. Scales can be dull, but they can also be shiny. You could use the same NMM approach for the skin, just dial it down a little so it looks regular shiny and not metallic shiny. Just something for you to consider.
    Thats my problem with Facebook too; the tutorials are too difficult to find, and those that I can find are difficult to read and are organized strangely. Just not very user friendly to anything but completed projects.

I prefer coming here to post my stuff too. If I post on fb my mum acts like its the sungle greatest achievement in miniature painting (I know full well that I'm not at that level yet) and maybe it gets a few likes and other comments. If i post on a painting group there it basically gets lost for all eternity by the end of the day and as you guys mentioned its near impossible to track down something youve seen after a day or two. Although i do like being able to chat with some of you there, it's been very helpful. On here though its much easier to follow peoples work and remember who postedvuseful info etc. and there's only 2-3 pages of regularly updated wip threads which is much more managable

Holyshit. That's a monster of a figure if I ever saw one.
    Looking forward to see what you do with it :O

Have been experimenting with where to take the skin on this Hrungir project. Idk, not happy with it because I wanted more shininess to it. I can go almost pure white and it still won't "pop" next to the Rakarth Flesh. I chose RF for its deadness and desaturation, but maybe I should try something else. Any thoughts? Just the arm done.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

you feel it right, you need stronger shadows.
    A small trick is to have the shades in a small area, so you have the contrast, but they don't overshadow your base and highlights.
    Forgot, that it works again.

Hmmm... well, first off awesome project! I saw your post on the kit, I'm glad to see you painting it.

Getting a shiny skin look can be tough. Theoretically you should be able to get it on this basic skin tone, but a darker skin would be easier. I think the key is in really limiting the highlight areas. Take the spot where you want the shine to show and rapidly (over a small area) go from the base to pure white.

For inspiration, take a look at this piece from Ben Komets. This is his Big Bomba from Black Sailors. Notice the spots of white/light on his skin
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
    There are some other pieces in that album worth checking out too. Just below Big Bomba is a yoda bust. Take a look at some of the white dots he's added there.

Aside from that, you could also consider applying a satin varnish to the skin when you're finished with the figure. Using a finish is obviously going to be a bit different from directly painting on the effect. Sort of like true metallics vs NMM, though with a satin varnish it's not quite that extreme. I generally shy away from adding gloss or satin varnish on my pieces, but it's one possible solution you could try.

I agree with you Maxxxximus, but it goes against my intuition.

A wise man-a man that I consider my mentor in both oil and miniature painting-once told me this about skin: It should be bright, and the shadows should not be too dark (the words of Dmitry Fesechko, check out his gallery on P&P for inspiration. His giant I think best demonstrates these qualities).

If you see the shade on his exposed leg. I shaded just one muscle there. That is all the darker I plan to shade in most places.
    Last edited by BloodFather of Kharnath; 09-19-2016 at 10:33 PM.

Not really liking how anything I am painting is looking lately. And this DOES SOMETHING to a man's psyche...when the final product does not turn out how I picture it in my head....I truly feel incomplete.

I am going to experiment on some things...maybe try to paint the head of the Hrungir mini (largey?) using a slightly different recipe. If I still feel the same, I may pick up the Sci Fi Flower Knight. If there is one thing that I KNOW I can paint, it is metals. I have been considering a Bohun-style freehand on this mini, but I may just be setting myself up for failure. He has a couple of tutorials where he shares his technique on FB. Really it is just an unplanned series of angular, box-like designs that he puts together and modifies to comply with the shape of the mini. Either start in black and add highlights, or start in a lighter tone and add black to the design. Then glaze colors over sections to add variety. Examples on similar type surfaces below.

Of course, I may be setting myself up for failure by attempting to tackle such ambition. I could always return to my lizard rider, I suppose....

A wise man-a man that I consider my mentor in both oil and miniature painting-once told me this about skin: It should be bright, and the shadows should not be too dark (the words of Dmitry Fesechko
    a yet with the exception of the chinese vampire he goes pretty dark in the darkest parts. Not to black but dark enough (about VGC BestialBrown to even CharredBrown level)

The shaded leg is the left one, right? There I think the deepest shade is dark enough. For light skin it may need to be more conentrated (transition on a smaller area) to leave enough for the light shade.
    Then again for shine the highlights are more important, as Bailey said. Even there the transition should be fast. A bit similar to NMM where you have more than enough experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey03 View Post
    I think the key is in really limiting the highlight areas.
    For shiny skin I have to agree.
    As for the satin varnish. I'd use it, but my way of working prefers TMM lately. Someone who likes NMM (only) might not like it.

I have been considering a Bohun-style freehand on this mini, but I may just be setting myself up for failure. He has a couple of tutorials where he shares his technique on FB. Really it is just an unplanned series of angular, box-like designs that he puts together and modifies to comply with the shape of the mini. Either start in black and add highlights, or start in a lighter tone and add black to the design. Then glaze colors over sections to add variety. Examples on similar type surfaces below.
    Bohun: The on the first pic the area used for the pattern is only a bit wider then my edge-highlights. Truely a different level, than where I am.
    Forgot, that it works again.

Max, I have noticed the same when reviewing his gallery. They DO, in fact, go pretty dark in spots. I tried to provide the giant as an example with the hopes that you wouldn't delve too deeply into his gallery...lol. However...in his defense...minimizing shadows on skin has been a more recent development that he didn't always practice, and that he DOESNT practice in certain conditions. For instance, the discussion came about when talking about painting skin on a winter base. He went through his thought process for me, and it was very enlightening. The sky will, in most cases, be an overcast gray. He related to me that this makes it so that cold blue shadows are not usually appropriate in winter bases, and that shadows should be minimized (not entirely sure if this last statement was tied to the discussion of winter bases, but it definitely occurred within the context of this conversation).

I agree entirely that highlights are the answer. I want my skin to pop like my armor, but not quite as much so. Of course, skin is satin and metal is gloss. As is, Id say my skin has the contrast of a dirty rag...lol. I know I can do better. The Painting Buddha video of Horus does a good job of showing the skin I am after, and I may just do it all over again using this base recipe (Tallarn Flesh and Dark Sea Blue). The problem with my recipe of Rakarth Flesh, I believe, is that it is too light as a base. It needed to be darkened in order for the white to show. I am telling you, I put in almost pure white and it didn't pop at all. While Ben Komets base looks almost exactly like Rakarth, it must be darker or something because his highlights pop. And I realize that loaded brush lends itself well to popping highlights. It utilizes a small area and goes quickly to pure white by its nature.of course, I can do the same with good old fashioned glazing and wet blending. Not to digress, but I think that Komet's loaded brush technique requires far too much brush control mastery for his average viewer. Anyone a Patreon subscriber of his, btw? Dude makes $3,500 a month off of these patrons...not bad for a painter.

Satin varnish is not for me. I agree that NMM/TMM choices go a long way to describe whether a person would use these.

More painting fails.

More painting fails.
    Oh, I don't know. I think it looks like a good start. Might be cool to work in some purple glazing before you highlight back up, but I don't know what color scheme you had in mind.

Well, first off the only true painting fail is when you give up on a piece. Otherwise it's just one step along the way (perhaps a slight detour) to creating the end result. I make mistakes all the time. On my most recent two pieces (the bust and the orc), I've had sections on the figures that I've reworked multiple times until I was happy (or at least happy enough to move on!). On my hobbit piece, my first attempt wasn't good at all. But, I learned some valuable lessons, stripped the figure, and then used what I learned to create one of my highest rated pieces to date. So don't be too hard on yourself!

When all else fails, I'll pick up a figure I don't care about and just have some fun with it. Perhaps I'll try out a new technique and use it as practice. Or perhaps I'll stick to what I know I can do and use it as a confidence booster. Either way, since it's a figure I don't have any real plans for, I won't waste a lot of time on it. Just paint and move on (or back) to one of my 'real' projects.

Bohun's work is really mind blowing. I have no idea how he's able to accomplish that. But it's certainly good inspiration and something to shoot for. Just don't take on the most complicated designs to begin with. Start simple and work your way up.

On a side note, (since we've mentioned Ben Komets and his loaded brush technique) I attended a class with him on the loaded brush at Adepticon. He mentioned that he's seen from the workshops that he's lead it takes people about 8 hours of trying before the loaded brush technique starts to click. And that's with their guidance and feedback. So if you end up trying it, set aside a weekend or two to just practice the technique. It sounds like you've got to put in quite a few hours before it starts to be usable. And it certainly takes a lot more to master!

As Bailey says not a fail mate, just trials and tribulations. Keep plugging away Ben, you may just be a little rusty with acrylics.

Bailey, stand by for a thorough response to your motivating advice. In the meantime, in HIS right leg is the new mix I will likely go with. It is GW Ratskin Flesh with a touch of Dark Sea Blue. I rather like it. I just haven't decided on a good shadow color (other than darker base tone), and I may add some VMC Dark Flesh (a golden yellow) into my lights.

The big muscle on HIS left leg is the Rakarth recipe that you see on his right arm. That's what it would look like with maximum highlight. Anyway, thoughts anyone?