BloodFather's Axis of Chaos - Page 24
Page 24 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast

Thread: BloodFather's Axis of Chaos

Ehhh...decisions...option D is what I would do if it were me. It definitely looks like it's meant to be leather, and I'm very attached to that blue glaze you did, don't undo it!

Thanks Dennis. Great ideas. I'm not completely sold on anything. Making the scales the same as the sword may be my best bet, but I just thought this whole time that Id be making it some standard color-red green yellow blue, etc. -not a tinted steel. I think that I may tone down the blue on the sword-make it just barely noticeable, and go with the green. Oh hell, I don't know. I'm stalling right now. Here is a pic of his back:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ​You are ranked 1 out of 9149 artists.
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

Thanks Sionid. Didn't read ur post before I began. I may have to go with the leather, perhaps the black leather with blue highs that Dennis spoke of. Looks like I need to read 10balls latest tutorial.
    BloodFather's Axis of Chaos http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...f-Chaos/page17

Quote Originally Posted by dennis. View Post
    Spanner in the worx... Black leather with a blue hue tying into the blade? If you are set with green you could use a blue/ green/ grey. I'd tend more to think of the tonal contrast, you could think of the under garment the same hue as the dark shading of the blade contrasting against the lighter steel armour... jeepers, i'm confusing myself, good luck mate
    BTW Dennis, just took a look at your gallery and I love your work. Very good stuff there. I think on some of your projects, had you gone full display base you'd have some solid 9s. You seem to have the same penchant for fantasy figures as me. Ill look for your WIP.

Blog Entries

Thanks a lot for the compliment BoK, one day i may get a 9, feel happier with the hobby now that i don't really care though, it's all about my wee display cabinet... off to rifle your gallery now!! Again, many thanx

Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do. Edgar Degas.

Oh, you won't find too much there. I'm pretty brand new to all of this

Blog Entries

A great entry to the gallery, solid 8+ for me, i love it when minis go against the trend, the colours don't tell me you have problems. I don't want to be presumptious but this wee self explanatory colour wheel should help if you don't have one, any questions i'd be more than happy to explain..... oh, darn, my camera was on 300dpi setting Attachment 29985

Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do. Edgar Degas.

Personally, I think you should go with a green tint and tone down the sword a bit. I don't know, the vision of it in my head looks cool, but my head's been bothering me for three or four days, so you may want to take that with a bit of salt. :-)

Might as through my half cents worth of thoughts in. I'd go with Dennis' suggestion of a black/blue leather to ensure the chrome shows of. Keep the highlight about the level af the darks in the sword and shade down from there. If you do green you would need to work it into the armour or you would mess up the chrome/shiny steel illusion.

Does this work for my painting friends? Just a trial run, can be easily replaced. Went with the green since the blue in the sword is barely perceptible. Tough shading and HLing each scale as they're tiny-feck!

Might need to see it from a different angle mate. It looks good but maybe a little too bright. A couple of thin glazes of the shadow tone maybe just to tone it down.

Thank you Stew. Maybe so. I tried to treat each scale with shading on the left side and highlighting on the right. You may just be seeing most of the highs from the angle. Then again, I'm not entirely sold on it either. Maybe it'll come together when I fill it all in.

Oh, I like that color--gives him almost a snakey or draconic vibe. I was mentally picturing a much brighter, less blueish green, and I just wasn't getting it. It'll surely be easier to tell once it's not blocked in by white, but I think you're taking it in a good direction.

In full agreement now need to change the color of the underlying armor it's a secondary garb of protection of padded leather under the chest plata il protection. Leather armore was used for a few things for peasant type it was at best a small means of protection but for nobles and lords it was a secondary armor meant to absorb the blow like rubber on a sneaker sole. So it needs to be a contrasting color maybe as dark as a rhinox/ scorched brown . Rules of contrast ala jarhead states: 1light color : 1 dark color. Chest plate nmm grey : leather armor a deep dark brown. That's why it pays to show other examples. I would've never seen it if you hadn't posted it.

It works for me man. Leather can be black , dark blue , brown, dark red any of those work for this. I feel what you've done is perfectly applied and you've used and appropriate color keeps that very evil cool feel to the mini.

Blog Entries

I like the color! Kind of a weird angle tho. It looks like the leather is highlighted way up to white. I would let the metal be brighter if it were me, but it think it might be a funny photo. I do like the color. Once you get it hammered out you can add some tiny glazes to the near-by armor to reflect the leather

You know what goes great with aquamarine? F**kin' hot-pink!

In places where the sun hits it direct, it's highlighted up to a pale blue-gray. Shades are GW green shade or green shade and Badab black in spots. The lines in between scales are mostly Badab black with a touch of green shade. Forget the mid tone but it's a minty green by GW. All of the shades were extremely watered down glazes. The highlight wasn't glazed because I treated it almost like edge highlighting.

Youre right. Now I have to glaze this color on parts of the steel. I am going to do this, but in a minimal kind of way. Don't want to go overboard.

Hmnm. I hesitate to use hot pink in anything but leopard skin patterns.

Sneak peak. Base is primed. Lots of tufts and green to be added. Think it'll look pretty good. Will mess around with some pigments for the first time.

Yes yeeees yessss it's aliiiive it's aliiiive !! Always said for ruins you never use the whole statue but merely the legs and freest. Stay on the course if your still not sure bout the pigments ill explain it differently but you'll be ok. The pigmts powders literally do the work for you. It's just like using or thinning paints .eg lot of pig a brush drop of fastener you have a Lou pasty texture. But a Lil pig and 5-16 drops of water it just mildly stains . But believe me you brush em I. Wet and then BAM the magic happens when they dry. It looks absolutely beautiful m8!!! Uh hum cough in a manly way uh hum can't wait!

I will start out first with what I don't like. Those wierd looking tyranid plants. That said I shall reserve final judgement because I know you. Your going to make me eat my words. Overall though this piece has so much potential and if painted right (which i know you will) it is going to look so serene. So hurry up cause I'm hungry and need some words to eat .
    My WIP - http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/...-Git-z-WIP-Pit
    "Screw paint by numbers, that garbage is for kids. Paint by BAM, now that's the way to go
    ." -Me-