What is your work irl? - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: What is your work irl?

I would love to see how your "real life Work" influences your Miniatures actually... ... Knowing things about the Vegetation, Zoo Animals, Space Crafts or Social Behaviour is a big advantage...

For me, I am an Architect + Urbanist (Diplom Ingenieur, a German Title that comes with that) and run my own Design Office here in Berlin, Germany... Besides that, I work Freelance on all kinds of Projects whenever it´s interesting (and profitable......) enough... I wish the day had at least 49 hours, hahaha......
    "I think we will see a lot of such diorams in the future because Pandora box is oped, interest is huge and forum butthurt is just great." --- Decoy

Simply Wonderful......

---
    Visit us at http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/ ...

I work for a tree trimming service all over the US. Matt, I've found that it totally influences my painting, I always try to get the most natural colors.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Cexwish View Post
    I would love to see how your "real life Work" influences your Miniatures actually... ... Knowing things about the Vegetation, Zoo Animals, Space Crafts or Social Behaviour is a big advantage...

Wel, assuming you aren't fishing for examples from Hodrod, I have to say that I draw a lot form cooking when painting minis.

I really wish I was little better at color theory but the different formulas are lot like recipes. Also using the different layers and techniques are very much like cooking to me too.

In cooking order is very important. In painting that might be even more true. Learning the proper order and timing of things takes time, but after a while you get a feel for different ingredients or colors, and then you start to fly

US Army infantryman. Current duty position: Platoon Sergeant and mortar section leader. I am an infantry mortar leaders course graduate so that's kind of my current specialty, figuring out how to get the mortars to land where.they are supposed to. I am currently part of a Stryker Brigade Combat Team, and we have the finest mobile mortar system in the world. I was in Iraq for the Surge in 2007-2008 for 15 months. Went back in 2009 for 12 month, and just did 9 months in Afghanistan. Really, really burnt out from it all at this point and painting minis is soothing and therapeutic for me when everything is working.

Quote Originally Posted by Demihuman View Post
    Wel, assuming you aren't fishing for examples from Hodrod,
    Milosh would be all over a miniaturize range like that.

I have learned a great deal about color theory from the artist I work with. I am nowhere near their level of expertise, but I try. Also I found that having to critique art all day at work really helps in being more critical in my own, in the sense that I at least know where I need to improve. The hard part is applying those changes, since painting is a much different medium than digital.
    Turning lead into gold is easy, pour it into a Rackham mold. -Mr_Maxime

Hod's Chaos Dwarfs

Hod's Karag Dum Throng

Hod's Space Boars

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BloodFather of Kharnath View Post
    US Army infantryman. Current duty position: Platoon Sergeant and mortar section leader. I am an infantry mortar leaders course graduate so that's kind of my current specialty, figuring out how to get the mortars to land where.they are supposed to. I am currently part of a Stryker Brigade Combat Team, and we have the finest mobile mortar system in the world. I was in Iraq for the Surge in 2007-2008 for 15 months. Went back in 2009 for 12 month, and just did 9 months in Afghanistan. Really, really burnt out from it all at this point and painting minis is soothing and therapeutic for me when everything is working.
    Thank you for your service.

I'm starting school again. The first week was very hard on my old brain. 3 days a week (TH, FR & SA), 10 hour days, 4 weeks. Then a class test, state test and start making money.
    We're covering about 150 pages a day in a very dry textbook.
    My Favorites
    I'm at and falling.
    si vis pacem, para bellum

This post has been made with 100% recycled electrons.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by airhead View Post

I'm starting school again. The first week was very hard on my old brain. 3 days a week (TH, FR & SA), 10 hour days, 4 weeks. Then a class test, state test and start making money.
    We're covering about 150 pages a day in a very dry textbook.
    Well said Airhead.

What are you taking classes on? My secret fantasy is to become a certified refrigeration tech and move to some place tropical Like ..Orlando!

Er, or disadvantage. A lot of times, knowing what I know, I look at a fictitious spacecraft and think "Oh, yeah, right... that'd break off the first time they tried to turn". Makes going to watch a sci-fi movie that's supposed to be "realistic" very painful. A movie that's not trying to be that realistic is more enjoyable for that reason. I'm not trying to find the "errors".
    "Reality, she's a mathematical bitch from hell.", MaxedOutMama
    Wanna be bored? Watch me twitter. --<>-- Still have neurons? Watch my YouTube channel on painting!
    Want to know when to fry your neurons? My painting twitter will announce the videos.
    To judge how far to follow my advice, consider this: ---<>--- Slappin' paint on minis since 2006

Coffin Dodger / Keymaster airhead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Demihuman View Post
    ...What are you taking classes on? My secret fantasy is to become a certified refrigeration tech and move to some place tropical Like ..Orlando!
    I'm taking Home Inspection classes. Should be a state certified Home Inspector by this time next month.

Sub-tropical actually, but the residential market is starting to warm up again after our recession/depression/bubble/market correction/spin for bad economy. If you don't mind working in the rain or can get your work done early, it is not bad. Mild winters, daily rains in the summer (3:00 - you can almost set your watch by it). The cost of living is much less than the west coast. Air conditioning 11 months out of the year and heat for maybe a week. UV indexes in the 11-15 range (on a 1-10 scale). Tourists come in two colors: pasty white or lobster red.

There will be a building boom this year. It always happens after a cold winter like we are coming out of. The people up north decide it just is not worth it to fight the cold and 'invade' FL to escape the cold.
    My Favorites
    I'm at and falling.
    si vis pacem, para bellum

This post has been made with 100% recycled electrons.

compared to a lot of you what I do is relatively boring: freelance developer mostly in java, but sometimes other programming languages too.
    Nothing exciting really.

So painting is a good change of focus for me. The funny part in it : before school I won awards with my 'paintings'/'drawings' , in school I didn't fail only because of art-history.

Blog Entries

I'm taking Home Inspection classes. Should be a state certified Home Inspector by this time next month.
    That sounds like a pretty good gig.

Agreed. Thanks and happy painting.

I work in prison, as guard

Im a swimming teacher for wee kids aged 3 to 10.

Great fun....... just not when you have had a few jars the night before.

For me, I am an Architect + Urbanist (Diplom Ingenieur, a German Title that comes with that) and run my own Design Office here in Berlin, Germany... Besides that, I work Freelance on all kinds of Projects whenever it´s interesting (and profitable......) enough... I wish the day had at least 49 hours, hahaha......
    I can see how your profession influences your art. That makes a lot of sense.

I fix robots.

Well I'm actually a maintenance engineer in a large factory that does have some robotic pallet stackers. Daddy fixes robots sounds so much cooler than Daddy works in a factory though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BloodFather of Kharnath View Post
    Where in the sandbox did you do time? I was a dreaded/hated contractor doing logistics works with the Jarheads in the Anbar from 04-07, and then 08-10. Although, I ended up working for the cookie pushers down in the Green Zone at Prosperity.
    Dr. Walter Bishop: I have used this technique to extract information from a corpse once. You can do that if they haven't been dead for longer than six hours.
    Peter Bishop: [in the background] Right, 'cause after six hours, that's when they're really dead.

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar. S. Clemons

Because I don't have enough madness in my life : http://topographyworkshop.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by boardandy View Post
    I fix robots.

Well I'm actually a maintenance engineer in a large factory that does have some robotic pallet stackers. Daddy fixes robots sounds so much cooler than Daddy works in a factory though.
    Love the Spin. You would make an excellent marketer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sand Rat View Post
    Where in the sandbox did you do time? I was a dreaded/hated contractor doing logistics works with the Jarheads in the Anbar from 04-07, and then 08-10. Although, I ended up working for the cookie pushers down in the Green Zone at Prosperity.
    In 2007-2008 I was in Baghdad at first, working out of a tiny abandoned Christian seminary in Dora, or East Rashid. Bad, bad neighborhood. Then we moved North with the fight to Diyala Province, to the Breadbasket area-Miqdadiyah. Stayed near FOBs like Falcon, Normandy, and Warhorse.

In 2009-10 I was based out of Taji for awhile-just North of Baghdad. Also lived with about 10 Americans for 5 months at Numaniyah Training Center. That's an Iraqi basic training unit. I taught
    them to shoot mortars.

Personally, I've always got along well with contractors. They are the unsung heroes of both wars. Who did you work for?

Blog Entries

EGG/LSI/URS and KBR. I have to say my experience with the services was mixed - the Navy and Marines were glad to see us there - while with the Army it was either here's the work, we're going outside the wire and tear stuff up or you're making all the money, go do the work and I'm gonna sit here and play Battlefield and try to avoid going outside the wire at all costs.

The Air Force weren't around long enough to make an impression.
    Dr. Walter Bishop: I have used this technique to extract information from a corpse once. You can do that if they haven't been dead for longer than six hours.
    Peter Bishop: [in the background] Right, 'cause after six hours, that's when they're really dead.

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar. S. Clemons

Because I don't have enough madness in my life : http://topographyworkshop.blogspot.com