What is your work irl? - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: What is your work irl?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Cexwish View Post
    I would love to see how your "real life Work" influences your Miniatures actually... ... Knowing things about the Vegetation, Zoo Animals, Space Crafts or Social Behaviour is a big advantage...

For me, I am an Architect + Urbanist (Diplom Ingenieur, a German Title that comes with that) and run my own Design Office here in Berlin, Germany... Besides that, I work Freelance on all kinds of Projects whenever it´s interesting (and profitable......) enough... I wish the day had at least 49 hours, hahaha......
    This. a topic should be started where people show examples of their work they feel was inspired by work or other parts of their life. mini painting made real personal.

I just do this stuff because my day-to-day job is somewhat less than creative. Admittedly, now that I'm back in Oz, I've quit and will now try and give my food dream a shot.

My miniatures work is, unfortunately, not influenced in any way by my day job. It's a brilliant escape from it all, but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ischa View Post
    This. a topic should be started where people show examples of their work they feel was inspired by work or other parts of their life. mini painting made real personal.
    I think I would need an XXX range of minis to come out for this to happen for me. And I really don't think I want to paint the intimacies of those parts. In the words of my artists, "once I paint them, they loose their mystique." But this is just a problem for me, and an issue I will only vent on this thread since it is the only one I talked about my profession on.
    Turning lead into gold is easy, pour it into a Rackham mold. -Mr_Maxime

Hod's Chaos Dwarfs

Hod's Karag Dum Throng

Hod's Space Boars

They are out there. E2046 and a few other make some pretty risque stuff. You could probably find some more of the classic type artistic scenes in semi round flats. I have recently started to look into painting flats and they have quite a few of the classic Japanese or Pin up or Vintage type nudes and scenes if you wanted to stay away from the more hardcore depictions.
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Japanese pinup type things could be pretty cool. I always like how those looked. The Japanese have a great sense for art deco.
    Turning lead into gold is easy, pour it into a Rackham mold. -Mr_Maxime

Hod's Chaos Dwarfs

Hod's Karag Dum Throng

Hod's Space Boars

Quote Originally Posted by Sand Rat View Post
    EGG/LSI/URS and KBR. I have to say my experience with the services was mixed - the Navy and Marines were glad to see us there - while with the Army it was either here's the work, we're going outside the wire and tear stuff up or you're making all the money, go do the work and I'm gonna sit here and play Battlefield and try to avoid going outside the wire at all costs.

The Air Force weren't around long enough to make an impression.
    Very accurate portrayal of the Army there. Only a Federal government worker can get away with things like that. I know some guys that hardly show up to work and receive excellent ratings on their annual reviews. It's just the nature of the bureaucracy that is the fed.

Contractors hold such broad and varied employment types that it's difficult to say overall whether or not I have a positive impression. There are food services, construction, training, laundry, and most notorious of all, security. My experience with security: top notch professionals. Food service workers all come from The Indian subcontinent. Trainers are mostly American former Army/Marines so they understand us. Transportation can be local national to American (my buddy shot a truck driver in the butt that got too close),etc.

I know one thing-all of these services are expensive!! There are some jobs that
    the Army should have handled on their own. Like the quartermaster corp should have done laundry. More uniformed cooks need to actually do the cooking, etc and this would have saved a lot of money. But the only issue I ever have with contractors are the one's that know they have you by the balls. They can be as rude and disrespectful as the want to a soldier, and as soon as that soldier answers in a negative way, they alert his chain of command. But this is rare and, as I said, most of us are happy to have the support.

Blog Entries

In the short term they're expensive. But compared to the long term costs, not so much. Once they were done with members of the First Civ Div, we got bubkis.
    Dr. Walter Bishop: I have used this technique to extract information from a corpse once. You can do that if they haven't been dead for longer than six hours.
    Peter Bishop: [in the background] Right, 'cause after six hours, that's when they're really dead.

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar. S. Clemons

Because I don't have enough madness in my life : http://topographyworkshop.blogspot.com