Rising Standards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rising Standards

Default Rising Standards

Hi All

Couldn\'t help but notice the recent rise in standards in minis on this site.

I keep an eye on my ranking, and was hovering at 300ish with an average of 7.95. In the last week I\'ve dropped 25 places, but no score change.

We now have over 300 painters with an average of 8.00 or more! This is pretty good considering I feel voting is getting harsher. It also means there\'s shed loads of inspiration here!

Are people improving and jumping up the ranks, or are we getting talented new contributers?

Rob

I don\'t know about rising or dropping standards as I am a newbie to this sight. What I will say is that I spend hours on the site just browsing through voting and where I have something constuctive to say (at least I hope my comments are constructive) leave comments. There are some fantastic minis on this sight and I will confess that it does inspire me to greater efforts.

I think that the overall number of contributors has gone WAY up too, though I don\'t have access to those stats. But I do know that when I joined (late 2001), you could pretty much remember who all the elite painters here were. Now, I keep coming across new ones every time I visit. I think CMON is just more popular now, both with expert and beginning painters.

Default Definately Rising...

There is some serious talent posting pics on this site, and it is just an inspiration to \'rub elbows\' with that.

It does seem voting standards have seemed to rise as well. The voters as a whole seem to be pretty tough.

I think that with the voting a lot of voters when they see a mini look straight away at the standard of the paintwork. If they do not see a 7.5 plus they immediately write it off as substandard and don\'t even consider the effort that someone may have put into their mini. Whilst fantastic paintwork is what we all want to see and if possible achieve for ourselves we must remember that people who post their pics in general want help in developing their skills. If a low vote is given then I think that a reason for that low vote should be given as well that way I postee won\'t get so disheartened by his/her low scoring and may in fact be able to improve. I know on the whole that most of us voters would actualy do this I am talking about the minority.

There has been some good new talant arriving recently.

But what struck me was how many have entered the 8.00+ ranks in the last week; it\'s great to see people improve;
    my goal is to get an average of 8 or more, but I realise I need to submit something to acheive that!lol

I don\'t know... something odd is up with the rank system... I posted 3 new minis each has 7 or higher..some near 8s, and last night I dropped 3 ranks... the heck is up with that?

i realized i need to paint something to achieve that... ;)

but seriously, there has been a steady increase of great painters...i love it.

but maybe thats becuase im not ranked yet?;)

I posted 3 new minis each has 7 or higher..some near 8s, and last night I dropped 3 ranks... the heck is up with that?
    Haven\'t they got to reach 50 votes to count in your average? When they do tho it looks like you\'ll make a fair leap.....patience!:)

This site does wonders for your painting abilities. I\'ve been painting minis for about 15 years, maybe more, and I have improved more during this year, after finding CMON, than I have during the entire period before that. So, if I am any sort of example, there should have been a noticeable rise in standards as the number of members have grown. And I know for sure that I\'ve seen plenty of others here who have improved a lot during a quite short period of time.

/Anders

t_haye2

I actually think we should start a retro painting craze,,,paint with enamela, no blacklining, patchy coats and shitty bases, just like 30 years ago...maybe I can then finally get into the top 50 lollollollollollollollollollol

@ Anders:
    Too right! This site has been just what I needed to get back into my painting. It\'s also given me something to aim for (top 100), and a reason to paint my stuff to a higher standard!

I think we should start a retro painting craze...
    May be we could throw away all our small detailing brushes and just drybrush everything that would certainly speed things up, I might get most of my backlog done then.

Originally posted by Orb

I posted 3 new minis each has 7 or higher..some near 8s, and last night I dropped 3 ranks... the heck is up with that?
    Haven\'t they got to reach 50 votes to count in your average? When they do tho it looks like you\'ll make a fair leap.....patience!:)
    COOL thanks for the heads up...

The rank isn\'t what I want... it is that I want to draw the targeting recticle of Dragonsreach\'s hammer :)

Originally posted by t_haye2
    I actually think we should start a retro painting craze,,,paint with enamela, no blacklining, patchy coats and shitty bases, just like 30 years ago...maybe I can then finally get into the top 50 lollollollollollollollollollol
    Gee, hard on yourself much? You\'re still far, far better than most of us mere mortals.

Originally posted by No Such Agency
    Gee, hard on yourself much?
    Amen to that.........

Having the numbers to shoot for does seem to be good inspiration. My goal was to break below 400, this year which I finally did. But then the rank slips a little each day and I may not hold it for long. Time to try to get under 300. A decidedly tougher undertaking... but hey it\'s something to shoot for. The other way is to doa bit of division and figure out your percentile, which doesn\'t change as much with all of the new painters coming on. I am in about the 83rd percentile, pretty much a solid B. Kind of how I got through school as well:bouncy:

Default just keep it up!!

Originally posted by Smoth
    The rank isn\'t what I want... it is that I want to draw the targeting recticle of Dragonsreach\'s hammer :)
    Just keep doing what your doing, I think that hammer should be drawing a bead on you soon!lol

Default that darn alphabet

Another tip for getting a higher rank... don\'t have the first letter of your name begin with a letter at/near the end of the alphabet!:o

Alphabetical order is used as the tiebreaker, it seems, and that can make a difference of 5 or 6 rankings!

Next time, no more W\'s :D

Default The cat is out the bag....

Right, time for an alter-ego called Aardvark....lol