ASH's time wasting....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ASH's time wasting....

Default ASH's time wasting....

As seems to be quite common place, I am getting into painting miniatures again after a 10+ year hiatus. I use a computer all day at work, then would generally get home and watch tv and use a computer again, which I was really getting sick of. I recently played the space marine game on PlayStation, ant it got me intruiged to see how things have changed in the last 10 years, and as it turns out, an awful lot has.

40k was what I used to play, and marines mostly at that, so naturally Games Workshop was where I went back to first. No more metal figures (which were always my favourite), two generations difference in paints and significantly more detailed and dynamic models than there used to be.

A few weeks of procrastinating and reading heaps of stuff on the net, I decided to pick up one of the 'new' (new to me anyway) librarian blister packs, a small selection of paint and a couple of brushes. I must say I'm pretty impressed with the detail and quality of the plastic nowdays.

The aim was to try and get the model completed and entered into the monthly painting comp at my local store, but it as takes me far longer than I remember it taking (guess I am substantially out of practice) and it doesn't look like I'll have it done by the cut off.

In any case, I'm pretty happy with the progress so far, especially for the first thing I have painted in an awful long time. I also decided to give NMM a try, as u always thought it was cool, but never really grasped the concept when I was younger. Now days it makes much more sense, and I have a bit more patience now, so I figured lets give it a shot.

Here's a couple of wip shots so far, gold eagle on the backpack came out nicely, but is just a little yellow to the eye. I have read about using a purple wash to fix it, but wanted to get some feedback on it first. Silver's on the backpack are only about halfway and only at shading stage on the body.

Anyway, any feedback would be great!

Cheers!
    Last edited by - Ash -; 03-27-2014 at 03:13 AM.

Holy crap. Nice Gold NMM! Welcome back, can't wait to see more
    "Remember, you can't spell paint without a little pain."

Blog: almostperftec.blogspot.ca
    Instagram: almost_zab
    DeviantArt Handle: AlmostZab
    Art Amino Handle: Almost Perftec Painting
    P&P: Neil Szabo

Slowly slowly making some progress. I don't get an awful lot of time to paint, and was away all last weekend and got nothing done, so hopefully this weekend I can complete it. Backpack is done and mounted, shoulderpad and chapter logo done, just need to finish the details on the front, the head and the staff.

Blog Entries

Yeah man looks great. Very painterly

I felt exactly the same way about office work + video games. Painting really does a nice job of replacing my video gaming habit and at teh end I have an awesome mini. Remember to stretch though painting can be brutal on the upper body after a hard day of computer wrangling.

There is a lot of good metal GW stuff on the ebay but it is a crap shoot. Stay away from GW Finecast, it might have improved in the last year or so but my experience with it was very bad. Also check out forgeworld if you haven't already. It's expensive I guess but if you are going to spend 40 hours painting something it's a bargain. I also picked up the Dark Vengeance box set and think it is really cool but I know opinions vary.

Ooh, also don't get discouraged by the voting in the gallery it can be brutal and invariably totally unfair.

Seriously lovely work. Demi! Why would you pick up the DV set?! Have you not seen the hell I am going through on that?! ~sigh~ You are nuts. At least save yourself some headaches and don't decide on a split scheme for your marines. Stupid successor chapters...grumble, grumble...

Woooo, Dam it more minis I want to paint now!
    nice work backpack looks mint, a tiny bit or pure white for a sparkle (if your splitting hairs) look forward to seeing more. Realy good work.

Video games for the win! Im a builder so the PC is for relaxing or staying up way too late looking at minis, reading about how to paint minis, watching videos about minis and also afew games D3 expansion at the mo I have a plan to paint a female crusader sometime too. dark sword mini here I come.
    Last edited by Canny; 04-04-2014 at 12:38 AM.

I've always found that my painting skills improve after a break, but the last 10+ years has been good to you. Very solid work.

Don't be too sad about losing GW Metal models, the plastics they do now are so much nicer than 10 years ago and allow for easy customization and conversion. The price jump in the last ten years is what gets me. I don't think I am proportionally making more money as they have increased prices. I've very choosey with my miniature budget.

Been playing Space Marine myself lately and it may just have me working back on my Imperial Fists. That and my Imperial Knight Father's day gift.

Keep up the good work. Look forward to seeing more.
    Grand Poobah of Pulp Alley Propaganda
    Freelance painter and writer
    Co-Writer of Pulp Alley:Perilous Island

Absolutely good NMM gold. Looks a lot like AndyGs, if I may be so bold. That is a very good thing. Like someone else said, you can dot it here and there with some pure white if you want, if not it still works. I am envious of your raw talent. Most people have to work, and work hard, to obtain what you just did.

An odd thing to ask someone just getting back into things, but could you do a step by step, or at least tell me your recipe, for the gold?

Mot sure what is done in the pic or not, but if they aren't done, the shoulder pad and tabard need more shadowing and highlighting. But overall, wow.

Thanks for the comments all! I was always more into the painting side of things, and did well in some local store comps when I was younger, but now with a bit more patience I think this is the best model I have painted, which has surprised me as it has been so long since I have picked up a brush.

Demi - Yeah, the finecast seems pretty average to me. I actually wanted to pick up the librarian in terminator armour, but the two they had on the shelf both had bubbles and issues that I couldn't be bothered fixing. It's a shame because the resin looks like it would be nice to paint, but the amount of cleanup required is a bit off putting. Forgeworld stuff looks awesome, like you said a little pricey, but the horus heresy figures are awesome, I'll have to get something in the near future once I've had a bit more practice so I can make sure I do it justice! I am going to try get round to my parents place this week to rifle through my old stuff and see what I had there. I somewhat remember, but I do know I bought a bunch of random single metal figures years ago, so will be cool to see what there is.

Bloodfather - Certainly can give you a rundown on the gold (makes me sound like I know what I'm doing...) I used Doombul Brown as the base, with black mixed in progressively for the shadows. Then the brown mixing up to Yriel yellow for the highlights, then final highlight was the yellow mixed with white. I still need to do the gold for the staff, so will take some shots through the process for you if you like. The green for the shoulderpads was really giving me grief, so will go back later and add some final highlights to a couple of the edges.

Here is a bit of an update, stopped being lazy and got out the real camera.
    Last edited by - Ash -; 04-07-2014 at 05:49 PM.

Yeah, you can safely use the word triumphant in front of the words "return to painting". Nice, really nice!

Yep, you sure waste time good.
    Large Blood Angels Terminator
    FW Space Marine
    Blood Angel Army Project
    -"Alien fart bubbles. It's all one needs in life to find direction and motivation."- Digganob

Sounds very similar to my own NMM gold. I start out with doombull, but darken it with scorched brown. No big difference there. Then to lighten I mix the doom bull with vermin brown. Then straight vermin. Then vermin and tau ochre. Then straight tau. Then tau mixed with a yriel yellow-white. Then straight yellow-white. Sounds like rather than mixing in all of those funky mid tones you just progressively lighten your doom bull and then add some yellow to the mix.

Nice work, I agree great paint job to start

So, the librarian has been put on the backburner for a bit. The silver's on the staff were giving me grief, and I have put so many hours into it so far, that I'm kind of sick of looking at it. I felt I was rushing to just try and get it finished, so I figured I would get started on something completely different.

I recently discovered a games store here in Brisbane near my work, which I had walked past almost daily, but never bothered to actually go in and see what it was all about. Turns out they are a big privateer press stockist. I had never really looked into other game systems in the past, as GW was the most 'mainstream' and in your face, I just stuck with them. I have to say though, some of the warmachine and hordes sculpts are pretty awesome.

After rifling through all the blisters, and only having limited cash on me, I ended up grabbing an iron kingdoms troll. Not the most dynamic or super exciting model, but there is just something about it I like. I am going to go for a rather rugged and weathered feel, which I have not attempted in the past, so should be fun. I'm also trying for more natural highlights and shadows on this one, rather than the GW style edge highlighting that I am more used to.

What I have ended up with, which I don't like, is that the shadows have ended up quite glossy from the layers of washes used (just water thinned regular paints). From my bit of research, it appears that a Matt medium would be a good investment to help combat this in the future when mixing washes. For removing the gloss on a finished area, would a thin brushed layer of Matt varnish from a bottle be a good choice?

Looking good Ash, I wouldn't be too worried about the shine at the moment, I have just kept on working on the model and hit it with mat varnish at the end. But I'm sure every one has their own methods. I like what you have chosen, enough action to make him look staunch but not a Cray Cray psycho, maybe just a tough carrot!

Always handy to put something a side and work on another project to get the mojo back, just don't leave it too long otherwise it might slides into the draw of DoOM! I know a few on mine have.

Did you start out by giving him a black wash everywhere? Precisely what you mentioned will fix it, but I am not seeing the glossiness you speak of. Where do you see it at its worst?

And apologies for bringing this up again, but as far as your NMM gold....

I get how you do the shadows. This is the simple part. But you mentioned that you go from brown to Yriel Yellow for your highlights. Does this mean first just Doombull. Then the brown with a touch of yellow. Then progressively add more yellow? Or do you lighten the Doombull with some white a few layers and THEN add in the yellow? In other words is it brown lightened with white and then some yellow, or just brown adding more and more yellow?

I ask because I actually use 3-4 different gold recipes depending on the model I am working on. But I like this one quite a bit for its simplicity and aesthetics.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodFather of Kharnath View Post
    And apologies for bringing this up again, but as far as your NMM gold....

I get how you do the shadows. This is the simple part. But you mentioned that you go from brown to Yriel Yellow for your highlights. Does this mean first just Doombull. Then the brown with a touch of yellow. Then progressively add more yellow? Or do you lighten the Doombull with some white a few layers and THEN add in the yellow? In other words is it brown lightened with white and then some yellow, or just brown adding more and more yellow?

I ask because I actually use 3-4 different gold recipes depending on the model I am working on. But I like this one quite a bit for its simplicity and aesthetics.
    No worries mate. I started with a base of doombull brown, then another layer of doombull brown with a bit of yellow. Then doombull brown again to darken recesses, followed by a couple more super thin layers of doombull with a little more black mixed in each time. Then for the highlights, the brown mixed up to yellow, in about 4 or 5 steps between brown to yellow. Then pure yellow, a 50-50 yellow and white for the brightest highlights, and a tiny white dot to finish. Hopefully that helps!

I haven't been doing an awful lot of painting of late, my other passtime of working towards learning to skate vert ramps by the end of the year has been distracting me somewhat!

I have made a bit of progress with the Troll, but there are a few things that need tweaking, and needs to be based (gotta get some PVA...) so will upload some photos once its completed.

I did however pick myself up a new little project, 'The Butcher of Khardov". Having a shop that sells Warmachine stuff just up the road from work is awesome. They have a pretty wide range, though not necessarily ordered very well, so having to scrounge through everything lets you find some cool models you wouldn't find otherwise. Its also awesome that they're metal, and significantly cheaper than GW stuff.

I really liked the dynamics of this guy, and I wanted to paint something red, so it all worked out nicely.

My painting is starting to get a bit faster now I have done a couple of models. I have also tried a wet pallet for the first time, and I'm amazed I never did it before. Bugger all paint wastage, and don't have to worry about finishing something before I can get up and walk away. Its a super dodgy solution, the backside of a warmachine blister pack, a few layers of chux cloth cut to size and thoroughly wet, and a piece of baking paper cut to size. Stoked! Also got myself some of the GW medium, and I like it a lot!

Anyway, here are a couple of progress pics. First one shows the cloak, pants and boots. Cloak needs a bit of re-working. I like the colour, but there are a few too many brush marks visible, so need to run over it again.

And the other of the start of the armour. Basecoating and first stage of shading done, should get more done tonight hopefully.

Whoa this guy is awesome I see why you chose him!
    So hes the The Butcher of Khardov ay Might have to have a look,
    My angel and demon on each shoulder are saying;
    No No NO cant buy any more, Yes Yes Yes, Must finsh some before you buy more!